Author Topic: Native American Astrology?  (Read 12748 times)

Offline Michael C.

Native American Astrology?
« on: May 02, 2009, 06:05:06 am »
I haven't been online for a long time but now that I am back I have a question. What do you make of the following? Thank you, Michael.

NATIVE AMERICAN ASTROLOGY

Clans & Winds

Tortoise Clan

(earth)

Stands for corporality, focus, stability, structure and orderliness.

Butterfly Clan

(Air)

Represents intellect, Thought, interest, movement and flexibility.

Hawk Clan

(Fire)

Indicates spirit, creativity, intention and action.

Frog Clan

(Water)

Contains soulfulness, emotions, receptivity, devotion, silence and empathy.

East wind

The wind of spring ( Falcon, Beaver, and deer) supports astuteness and spirituality.

South Wind

The wind of summer (woodpecker, salmon, and brown bear), promotes perception and emotion.

West Wind

The wind of fall (Raven, Serpent, and owl), promotes insight and knowledge.

North Wind

The wind of winter (Goose, Otter, and Wolf), supports recuperation and renewal.

Now the Animals for the months

The Falcon-March 21-19 (Aries)

A time of awaking-

Element- Fire

Clan- Hawk

Wind- East wind

Falcon Character: observant, confident, open, direct and honest. Falcon People are passionate and independent, spontaneous and uncomplicated. They are wonderful friends.

The Beaver-April 20-May 20 (Taurus):

A time for Growth

Element- Earth

Clan- Tortoise

Wind- East Wind

Beaver Character: Industrious, untiring, and sensible in all things. Beaver people need for security, and stability. They relish comfort and sensuality, and rarely take risks.

The Deer: May 21-June 20 (Gemini)

A time for Blooming

Element- Air

Clan: Butterfly

Wind: East wind

Deer Character: sensitive, relaxed and carefree. Open-minded and intellectual. Deer people are flexible and have quick reaction. They like stimulating changes and value open communication.

The Woodpecker-June 21- July 21(Cancer)

A time of consolidation

Element- Water

Clan- Frog

Wind- South Wind

Woodpecker Character; Desire emotional involvement, but carefully protect their boundaries. At times moody, Woodpecker people are deeply caring, especially of family and friends.

The Salmon- July 22-Aug 21 (Leo)

A time of Ripening

Element- Fire

Clan- Hawk

Wind- South Wind

Salmon Character; self-confident with a big heart and sunny disposition. Willing to accept responsibility salmon people are innate leaders and have good judgment. They enjoy recognition.

The Brown Bear- Aug 22- Sept 21 (Virgo)

A time of harvest

Element- Earth

Clan- Tortoise

Wind- South Wind

Brown bear Character: practical, rational, focused and independent. Bear people are reliable, industrious, and have an eye for detail. They are often perfectionists and are familiar with stress.

The Raven Sept 22- Oct 22 (Libra)

A time for Retreat

Element- Air

Clan- Butterfly

Wind- West Wind

Raven Charter; harmonious, diplomatic and accommodating. Raven people have a strong sense of fairness and justice. They are careful observers, but dislike confrontations.

The Serpent Oct. 23- Nov 22 (Scorpio):

A time of Death and Transformation

Element- Water

Clan- Frog

Wind- West Wind

Serpent Character; attractive, fascinating, and formidable. Serpent people pursue their goals vigorously and logically. They are attracted to the dark and mysterious.

THE OWL NOV 23- DEC 21(Sagittarius)

A time of Hibernation

Element- Fire

Clan- Hawk

Wind- West Wind

Owl Character; idealists who strive for a deeper understanding and a more profound truth. Owl people need freedom and independence, and they like a good debate for exchanging new ideas.

The Goose DEC 22-Jan 19 (Capricorn)

A time of Renewal

Element- Earth

Clan- Tortoise

Wind- North Wind

Goose Character; persistent, perseverance, realistic, sensible and responsible. Goose people prefer quality above quantity. They also have remarkable energy and vitality.

The OTTER Jan 20- Feb 18 (Aquarius)

A time of Preparation

Element- Air

Clan- Butterfly

Wind- North Wind

Otter Character: creative and humorous, full of hope and supporting positive changes in society at large. Rebels and revolutionaries.

The Wolf Feb 19- March 20 (Pieces)

A time of Renewal

Element- Water

Clan- Frog

Wind- North Wind

Wolf Character: Helpful, empathetic, devoted, sensitive and keenly aware of needs of others. Wolf people need solitude for recharging and for delighting in dreams and fantasy.

--by Spiritlightworker

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Native American Astrology?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 03:32:55 pm »
This NAQ astrology stuff was started by Sun Bear and his white sidekick in the 80's with their book, earth astrology. Many people have taken it and run with it. Including Roy WIlson aka "Bear Who Talks Much" and others. Ironically, Sun Bear wrote in a letter to my frined, who wishes she kept said letter, that he and "wabun" had made it up!

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 09:13:45 pm »
Thank you-I guess what I am asking (at the risk of showing my ignorance) is...
Is there even such a thing in NA ways (of NA astrology) and if so, is this anything like it? If not-what is the difference.
Michael

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 10:50:35 pm »
Can't swear to it, but I think it's just a scam for nuagers. I have not heard of anything like astrology from any f the many tribes I have met. If  you google sunbear, you will see his made up "medicine wheel" that he tied with his "earth astrology". Notice he did not say NA astrology. He knew better. Sadly, some people who did not grow up on their culture have run with it also thinking it legitemate.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 01:26:41 am »
ok, thank you for your help.
I see things that look suspiciously flawed or just plain wrong to me and have to ask.
If they are wrong I set them straight and if they wanna argue I tell them go here and
post it. No one has thus far  ;D

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 03:33:07 am »
Those twelve periods are taken from Euro astrology and calendars. Notice how they even match them up to Sagitarius, Leo, etc.

I don't even know of any NDN peoples who divided the calendar into twelve months. The Aztecs and Mayans used eighteen months. Most NDN peoples divided the year into seasons (four) or moons (thirteen).

Those astrology divisions only make sense under a calendar invented by Europeans. Remember that under our Gregorian calendar (adopoted under Pope Gregory in the 16th century), days shift back and forth, so Jan 1 falls on different days of the week, etc.

And an astrology sign marked Owl? Most NDN peoples say an owl is a bad omen.

So yes, any such claim of NA Astrology is false. Even Sun Bear's astrology is just a knockoff of Euro astrology with some pseudo Native symbols and names.

BTW, traveling in Mexico I did run across some Euro astrology types who peddle Aztec or Mayan astrology calendars at tourist spots. Same as with Sun Bear, they take Euro astrology and add NDN names. The Aztecs and Mayans did try to use the stars to predict the future, but not for individuals outside of prominent leaders.

Offline kosowith

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 10:32:48 am »
This whole concept has so many fallacies that it is difficult to know where to begin. But for a starter, clans are nation specific and not all Indian nations traditionally had "clans."  For those who did/do - not all have the same "clans" ( a tortoise has limited traditional meaning in the Northwest) and not all groups assign the same message/meaning to animals - point in fact the VERY different interpretation of the purpose and message of coyote between people who lived on the plains and those who lived in the southwest.  Too many people today try to merge all of these into one spiritualism which never existed.  I personally get upset and very, very critical when someone begins any statement with “the” Indian.  “The” homogenized Indian has never existed. Not today, not yesterday 

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 06:53:04 pm »
thank you all so much. this is exactly what I needed.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 10:04:55 pm »
I personally get upset and very, very critical when someone begins any statement with “the” Indian

I have to inject a funny here. There was a nuagey kind of "Indian expert" telling my friend how if you admired something an Indian has they have to give it to you. I turned around and said "Oh, which tribe?" "All of them" "Really? Are you sure? because I have only ever heard white people say that." She didn't want to talk to me much.  ;D

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 10:31:00 pm »
Hey Deb, nice car  :D

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 11:19:08 pm »
UPDATE: the person who had that misinformation on his site removed it and apologized  ;D

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 12:58:52 am »
Wow! That is good to hear! Someone who listened!

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 09:47:30 am »
I know, blew my mind. No defending himself, no whining, no telling me his great-grandmother was Indian 'princess' and handed the info down ;-)
I decided to e-mail him in private and let him bow out gracefully rather than embarass him in a group we share where he posted the link. I think he didn't feel the pressure to 'defend' himself. Sometimes things get done quicker using honey rather than vinegar I guess, although my impatient nature usually forces me to use vinegar  ::)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 08:07:47 pm »

I decided to e-mail him in private and let him bow out gracefully rather than embarass him in a group we share where he posted the link. I think he didn't feel the pressure to 'defend' himself.

Good point. I think you handled it well, and got results. Now if all the other situations could work out so well...

Though, isn't it vinegar you need to use to stop a chemical burn?  ;)

Offline nativeBS

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 01:30:37 pm »
I have an Uncle on the Rez who takes advantage of this misnomer and tells everyone to leave an offering at a much sought after sight.  Every night he would then go up to the sight and dig up the "offerings" and sell them!!  Sometimes, these "historical facts" make it too easy to find humor in those who create ceremony, for their belief creates vulnerable souls.