Author Topic: Fake Tennessee tribes  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
Fake Tennessee tribes
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:44:25 am »
Came across an op-ed piece on indianz.com. It looks like they're at it again. I suggest reading the comments.

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2012/apr/15/tribal-recognition-bitter-pill-ar-1842892/

Lim lemtsh,

Diana

Tribal recognition a bitter pill
By: | TriCities.com
Published: April 15, 2012 Updated: April 15, 2012 - 6:31 AM

We have all done it; it’s nothing to be ashamed of. I speak of supporting an idea or a group we "feel" deserves it.

Anytime we do this while disregarding facts, we face the possibility that we are doing the wrong thing for our community or our state.

Later, should we decide to educate ourselves, we might find that our "feelings" were in error and we were supporting something less than worthy. When community leaders, the media or even legislators make this mistake, it is hard for them to admit that the truth was obvious and they chose not to see. Instead, silence is used to deflect the embarrassment.

These folks are supposed to be smart enough to see through the haze of deception, aren’t they?

The subject this time is tribal recognition in Tennessee. The issue failed again this session, thankfully sent away to summer study.

The truth as you should know it is that these folks seeking recognition expect to be placed in line ahead of you for jobs, small business loans, grants and opportunities. They expect federal money – your tax dollars – for housing, health benefits, education aid and assistance.

At issue is the fact that these people claim to have existed as a tribe throughout history but there is mounting evidence to the contrary. No proof has been made public that any one member of this group has one drop of Native blood; we are expected to take them at their word.

There is too much at stake and more than enough contrary and disturbing evidence to ignore this. We have months before next session to convince you that recognition is wrong for so many reasons. I hope we are allowed the opportunity to offer the other view.

Kim Shaffer
Bristol, Tenn.