Author Topic: NO LONGER A MATTER OF CONCERN: Gregg Howard  (Read 18458 times)

Offline tecpaocelotl

• That one guy...
    • My blog
NO LONGER A MATTER OF CONCERN: Gregg Howard
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:26:33 am »
Someone posted this, not sure if he's legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlHtzU133NI
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:30:01 am by educatedindian »

Offline wolfhawaii

Re: Gregg Howard
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 05:14:10 pm »
He is pretty well known, do some research yourself. He works with some Cherokee heavy hitters and is a language teacher.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:52:36 pm »
ok lol
In Spirit

Offline tecpaocelotl

• That one guy...
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:05:36 pm »
He is pretty well known, do some research yourself. He works with some Cherokee heavy hitters and is a language teacher.

That's why I asked. I googled him and sounded like promotions on everything he did so I wasn't sure.

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 04:31:03 am »

That's why I asked. I googled him and sounded like promotions on everything he did so I wasn't sure.

I googled this Gregg Howard too, and tecpaocelotl is right that guy is all over the place including this fraud site. http://cherokeenationofsequoyah.com/sto_gregg.html.

I admit I know very little about the Cherokee and maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I don't see where he ever says "which" Cherokee Tribe he is enrolled in...?? He just claims Cherokee.

Diana

Epiphany

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 05:57:52 pm »
Gregg began learning the Cherokee language when his family moved to Oklahoma in the early 60s and he learned of his Indian heritage. His mother (Corinne Tyldesley) and her mother (Sophie Sutphin) were both Cherokee / Powhattan descendants. His great grandmother (on his mother's side) Anne Martin was Cherokee & English. Gregg teaches Cherokee language & history in Dallas and Collin Creek Community College in Plano, Texas. He is a member of the Oklahoma Native Language Assoc., Wordcraft Circle of Native Writers and Storytellers, The National Storytellers Association, and Tejas Storytellers. Gregg is the spokesman for the Cherokee Honor Society in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. To the left, he is speaking to a group at the Apparell Mart in Dallas and to the right, he is shown here telling the stories to a group of Mexican/Cherokees in Zaragosa, Coahuila, Mexico. Zaragosa is where the Cherokees fled to from Texas in 1839 and where Sequoyah died in 1843. Gregg is the Ambassador of the Cherokee Nation of Mexico - recognized by Mexico as a sovereign Indian Nation.

Gregg began storytelling in 1995 at the insistence of Gayle Ross (noted Cherokee storyteller). The stories became useful in teaching his language classes. All have been "grandkid tested" - being told to his grandchildren first.   Gregg was selected Storyteller of the Year in 1997 by the Wordcraft Circle of Native Writers and Storytellers.   Since then he has made appearances not only in area schools but to schools and festivals as far away as Tennessee and Oklahoma. His stories are traditional Cherokee stories that explain the mysteries of the world around us and teach us how to get along with each other, respect toward others and to be aware of the dangers of nature.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080703155904/http://www.nativelanguages.com/_private/gregg_howard.htm

Born May 25, 1936 in Central City, Kentucky according to the book The People Who Stayed: Southeastern Indian Writing After Removal.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:24:08 pm by Piff »

Epiphany

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 06:23:32 pm »
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Cherokee Language Instructor Gregg Howard Crosses Over
Sad News from Oklahoma…

Lari Howard from Tahlequah just notified me that her husband, noted Cherokee language teacher Gregg Howard, crossed over Thursday morning after a long bout with cancer.

http://speakcherokee.blogspot.com/2009/04/cherokee-language-instructor-gregg.html

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 09:28:02 pm »
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Cherokee Language Instructor Gregg Howard Crosses Over
Sad News from Oklahoma…

Lari Howard from Tahlequah just notified me that her husband, noted Cherokee language teacher Gregg Howard, crossed over Thursday morning after a long bout with cancer.

http://speakcherokee.blogspot.com/2009/04/cherokee-language-instructor-gregg.html

Hmmm...Oh well, he's dead. What's done is done. I couldn't find anywhere that he had any Cherokee blood. All white going back as far as 1800 and all from Kentucky except a grandfather from England. He also changed his name from Vernon Kenneth Sevy to Gregg Howard. Hmmm....Strange name change, I don't know if he legally changed it.

Kind of sad...I don't know why people lie, he could of taught the language nonetheless.

Diana
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:30:21 pm by Diana »

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: NO LONGER A MATTER OF CONCERN: Gregg Howard
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 07:36:14 pm »
Usually the "Cherokee/Powhatan" thing is a red flag. It usually means Jamestown Colony ancestors. So, a bunch of English people with *maybe* an NDN or two way, way, way back.  In all but a very few cases, the records that far back are really not reliable. Even if the various Indian spouses of the white men really existed, and even if their names and tribes were recorded accurately, those women assimilated almost 500 years ago. Those of us descended from those early unions are the products of many generations of white people.