General > Welcome & News

Mayans Say World WONT End in 2012

<< < (4/10) > >>

flyingdust:
I predict Merle Haggard's song "If We Make It Through December" will be a big hit in 2012, lol!

I'm a Cree from Canada.  Hello everybody.  I saw the movie 2012 and I was disappointed and unenlightened.  This whole big scaremongering going on is all about one of the greatest achievements made by our Indigenous American ancestors – the Mayan Calendar.  This calendar accurately marked significant 5,000 year cycles of orders stretching deep into the past and far into the future.  Yet the Mayan calendar only got about a 30 second mention in the whole movie.    It would’ve' been nice if the movie began with a dramatic scene of ancient Mayan astronomers and mathematicians (played by NDN actors) creating this remarkable calendar and marking 2012 as a significant millennial event. Ah, but what do you expect.

I've been interested in the Mayan calendar system for over 20 years, and to be perfectly honest, it remains to one of the greatest mysteries in the world.  If anybody know for sure about it, it would be the Mayans, and that knowledge likely belongs to a few Mayan families...and they’re not about to tell the world anytime soon.   All the media hype that's going on now is just more pure speculation, concocted mainly by nuagers and opportunists out to turn a profit from our history and culture.  And it's just going to get worse in months to come as we approach 2012.  Did you hear time is speeding up?

On the positive side, we can use 2012 as a time we can make resolutions like we do on New Year’s Eve.  Our resolutions can include what personal commitments we can make in the new order to come to make this a better world to live in for the benefit of our future generations.  That's what our traditional peoples always ask for in their prayers.   ::)

critter - a white non-ndn person:
I love the mystery of it.  I think people are nuts with/about it.  Each cycle on the calendar has an end.  Maybe the 2012 end is because they up and left and didn't finish or start a new one .. maybe as simple as that they ran out of room on where they were making it and never got starting on continuation before they left.  No one knows. 

I find more interesting than the calendar that they up and left without a trace.  Obviously not all, as there are descendants..

Defend the Sacred:
mod note - merged new thread into already-existing discussion.

Unegv Waya:
The whole thing about the poles shifting their polarity is based upon some very wrong assumptions.  Yes, the poles were in different locations many, many eons ago but that has to do with the speed an rotational direction of our mother's molten iron core. It had nothing to do with her suddenly rearranging her lands and waters.

Defend the Sacred:

--- Quote from: critter on January 07, 2010, 03:17:55 pm ---Each cycle on the calendar has an end.  Maybe the 2012 end is because they up and left and didn't finish or start a new one .. maybe as simple as that they ran out of room on where they were making it and never got starting on continuation before they left.  No one knows.

--- End quote ---

Cultures the world over have their own calendars. One peoples' year is ending while anothers' is in the middle. One calendar is having nothing special happening, while another has "ended" because the people died out or assimilated. In rural areas it can seem like we all agree what is the new year, while in an American city, the dragon is dancing down the street in Chinatown while other people prayed in the park months ago, or will months in the future. Fireworks all year round.  We all have our beginnings and endings, our points in the cycle. No one culture has claim on the definitive beginning and ending, and many of us see time as eternal.

Slàinte Mhath.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version