Author Topic: nativechat.net  (Read 6848 times)

Offline PLH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
nativechat.net
« on: August 25, 2005, 05:41:33 pm »
This sight claims to be an "official" native, first nations sight.
http://www.nativechat.net

I understand that if you go into the chat room you can find many self proclaimed healers, mystics, not to mention a mix of time travelers. (Beam me up Scotty.)  They even have a link to buy "real" native made items. What's the federal ruling on that? The taste of chat link was also interesting. Smells like twinkies to me.

Offline Indijnus1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: nativechat.net
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 05:18:24 am »
Well my understanding of the native art thing is you cannot sell it as a authentic item if you are not an enrolled tribal member and to do so is a federal violation.
As far as the so called healers and whatever else they claim to be, we know the deal on that...thank you Dances with Wolves!!!
I checked out that page a while back and that one chic Sandy who has crafts and crap more like it for sale looks like she has spent too much time in a tanning booth. The woman doesn't look like any skin i ever seen...geez...get a real life lady!

Offline Indijnus1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 10:36:51 pm »
OH my this person is real native....if you go into any other chat rooms he bans your from this one and says nasty things about you.  He has all of his same kind of character running the show with him so it is probably a site to avoid.

Offline piya

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 07:20:17 pm »
PLH,

The Law regarding Native Crafts in the U.S.  is:

The Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990 (P. L. 101-644) prohibits misrepresentation of Indian arts and crafts within the United States. It covers all arts and crafts produced after 1935 and is a truth-in-advertising law. Under the act, "Indian" is defined as a person who 1.) is an enrolled member of a State or Federally recognized tribe, or 2.) has been certified as an Indian artisan by a governing body of an Indian tribe.

Piya
To Old To Die Young

Offline PLH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 07:31:25 pm »
Wado Piya. What action is there to take to report those violating that act?

Offline piya

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 07:46:49 pm »
PLH,

You can contact the local Chamber of Commerce or District Attorney, like you would any other consumer fraud complaint, alternativlely contact

Indian Arts and Crafts Board
U.S. Department of Interior
1849 C. Street, N.W.
MS 2058-MIB
Washington, DC. 20240 Telephone: (202) 208-3773
Toll Free: (888) ART-FAKE
Fax: (202) 208-5196
E-mail: iacb@ios.doi.gov

Piya
To Old To Die Young

Offline Indijnus1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 08:16:40 pm »
Miigwech for this information.  I know that there is no tribal id for Sandy Whiteeagle Michaud...you can't get more new ager with a name than that ennit.  She used to claim she was Ojibwe from Michigan, then she decided she is Lakota, now she is even saying she is Apache and Navajo. Please make up your mind!  She has even gone to the extent of giving out Indian names in that room and talking medicine.  This is a site that really needs to have the smackdown because from what I see there is only bad medicine coming from it.  Any native person who is for real running a chatspace would never let anyone do that in there for sure.

Offline plz

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 02:25:01 pm »
Just love this disclaimer.  IMHO should be a 'must read' before entering site (and all the sites like it):

<<Nativechat.net makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, with respect to: the accuracy, relevancy, or quality of information. And does not assume and hereby disclaims any liability to any person or entity for any loss or damages (including, without limitation, physical, mental, psychological, spiritual, special, indirect, incidental or consequential) caused in regard to any information and\or any suggestion(s) or advice provided to you through this service by any and all members, moderators, associates, or affiliates, or as a result of your use of this service, regardless of whether resulting from ignorance, negligence, accident, or any other cause whatsoever. Health and\or medical related advice given by Nativechat.net any and all members, moderators, associates, and affiliates should be checked out by a licensed medical practitioner before being acted upon. >>

uhhhhh: "person or entity" ??  What dat mean??  Lots of chuckles like that...

pattyz