Author Topic: Shamanic Association of Tromsø  (Read 6287 times)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Shamanic Association of Tromsø
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:38:26 pm »
We received an inquiry about them. Anyone know anything? Do the legit, trad, ceremonial people of the Sami even call themselves "shamans"?

This is one of the only things I've seen about them in English:

http://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/2792-shamanism-approved-as-a-religion-in-norway

"According to TV2, director Lone Ebeltoft in the newly founded Shamanic Federation welcomed the governor's decision and expressed her ambition to preserve and continue the shamanistic traditions and practices in the country.

"- It is about understanding and respecting nature. It is in no way mysterious. Shamanism is a world religion where we are up here in the North is committed to preserve the Sami and Norse (Arctic) tradition, she says to Nordlys."
-----------------------------------

This appears to be the original article, with a video, that the above author used as a source:

http://www.nordlys.no/nyheter/article5970091.ece  Google translation

"- It is time to seek truth in the individual and not institutionalized religion. ---- ¿In shamanism we use drum journey meditation technique to get a spiritual condition. And it's all about the world or across the world, explains Fonneland."
------------------------------------

This appears to be the public Facebook page of the group's director, as named in the above article. I know very little about Sami iconography, but the designs on the items they are selling look multicultural; I recognize a number of symbols from other cultures. The page also includes stuff about "lightworkers".

https://www.facebook.com/people/Lone-Ebeltoft/542940026?sk=wall

"Vårjevndøgn-feiring i Tromsø ?
Onsdag 21 mars holder vi Vårjevndøgn-fest i StorLavvoen i Tromsdalen, kl 19-21:)
Vi møtes på snuplassen øverst i Turistveien ca kl 1830, og går innover i samlet flokk.

"Ved Vårjevnndøgn feirer vi Lysets gjenkomst, og at Moder Jord nå er i ferd med å våkne etter vinterdvalen! Sevja stiger, og Naturens energier begynner å spire.

"Ta med noe godt å spise, gode klær og gjerne noen nysgjerrige venner, så skal vi få en trivelig stund sammen rundt bålet!
"Vi vil selvfølgelig ta med oss trommer og andre instrumenter, og kanskje blir det en Lys-seremoni også:)
Siden vi får låne Lavvoen fra Gutta på Skauen, så håper vi at alle vil være med på en donasjon på kr 50,- pr pers, enten inn på konto 4750 1403373 (merk SF) eller ta med på feiringa:)
Om noen har spørsmål, så send meg gjerne en melding enten her på FB eller på mob; 994 58368"

Google translation:

"Vernal Equinox celebration in Tromsø ?
Wednesday, March 21 we keep the vernal equinox party in Greater lavvo in Tromsdalen, 19-21 :)
We meet on the road ends at the top of the Tourist Road at about 1830, and goes along in unison.

"By Vårjevnndøgn we celebrate the coming of light, and that Mother Earth is now in the process of waking up after hibernation! Sap rises, and Nature's energies begin to sprout.

"Bring something to eat, good clothes and perhaps some curious friends, so we have a nice time together around the fire!
"We will of course take us drums and other instruments, and maybe there will be a Light ceremony too :)
Since we can borrow from lavvo guys in the woods, so we hope everyone will participate in a donation of $ 50, - per person, either on account 1403373 4750 (note SF) or take part in the celebrations :)
If anyone has any questions, please send me a message either here on FB or mob: 994 58368"
--------------------------------------
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:14:05 am by Kathryn »

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: Shamanic Association of Tromsø
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 09:01:57 am »
What got me was that Lone Ebeltoft says: "Shamanism is a world religion where we are up here in the North is committed to preserve the Sami and Norse (Arctic) tradition."  
She doesn´t claim to be Sami herself, so a non-Sami is committed to preserve the Sami spirituality? Oh well, hope the Samis show gratitude! (sarcasm)

The Samis live in four different countries - it´s a vast are of land - and are divided in many different cultural groups. The way the article explains the Samis´spiritual worldview seems similar to explaning "Indian spirituality". I don´t claim to know much about Sami spirituality, but I highly doubt that ALL the Samigroups living thousands of miles away from eachother, would have had the same spiritual traditions.

Trying to preserve the Norse traditions....fine. Those were our ancestors. But the Samis are different peoples. Sounds like a hodgepodge to me.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: Shamanic Association of Tromsø
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 02:20:26 pm »
What got me was that Lone Ebeltoft says: "Shamanism is a world religion where we are up here in the North is committed to preserve the Sami and Norse (Arctic) tradition." 
She doesn´t claim to be Sami herself, so a non-Sami is committed to preserve the Sami spirituality? Oh well, hope the Samis show gratitude! (sarcasm)

Yeah, that jumped out at me, too.

The Samis live in four different countries - it´s a vast are of land - and are divided in many different cultural groups. The way the article explains the Samis´spiritual worldview seems similar to explaning "Indian spirituality". I don´t claim to know much about Sami spirituality, but I highly doubt that ALL the Samigroups living thousands of miles away from eachother, would have had the same spiritual traditions.

Trying to preserve the Norse traditions....fine. Those were our ancestors. But the Samis are different peoples. Sounds like a hodgepodge to me.

Agreed.