Author Topic: Eliseo "Cheo" Torres  (Read 5222 times)

Offline tecpaocelotl

• That one guy...
    • My blog
Eliseo "Cheo" Torres
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:37:00 pm »
There is this guy who will have an online course on "Curanderismo":

https://www.coursera.org/course/traditionalmedicine

He generalizes everything under "Curanderismo" even though probably the only thing that would be under it would be traditional Mexican sweatlodge. Body cupping, traditional massage, juice therapy, energetic cleansing, laugh therapy and shawl alignments aren't things a curandero does.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Eliseo "Cheo" Torres
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:33:51 pm »
He apparently is an administrator at UNM, and his two books on curanderismo were put out by UNM Press. That should mean they should have gone through peer review. One of the books was reviewed favorably by Ed Holman, a NAFPS member with curandero beliefs who passed away.

If you click the video, Torres doesn't mention any of those practices except for temascal and energetic healing. He also says the course will include a healer from Peru. I wonder if the description or the scope of the course is just sloppy and includes non-Mexican healing.

Offline tecpaocelotl

• That one guy...
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 07:55:57 pm »
I have no idea.

I'm wondering if he wrote that himself or someone wrote it for him.

Offline tecpaocelotl

• That one guy...
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 03:53:46 am »
He apparently is an administrator at UNM, and his two books on curanderismo were put out by UNM Press. That should mean they should have gone through peer review. One of the books was reviewed favorably by Ed Holman, a NAFPS member with curandero beliefs who passed away.

If you click the video, Torres doesn't mention any of those practices except for temascal and energetic healing. He also says the course will include a healer from Peru. I wonder if the description or the scope of the course is just sloppy and includes non-Mexican healing.

Taking the online course and so far in the intro video, he has mentioned the things above that I was worried about.

I am now questioning his peer review papers and see what he has there.

Anyone has access to those paper, I'm all for reading them to see if there are any flaws.

I uploaded the intro video and will upload more once I see more questionable things in them:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wdkzznegh5q1vqi/AACwG70koImdd3J4PsfqCs8pa

In the Intro, it starts from the beginning of the video.

Also, video has people that I have no idea who they are.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:00:18 am by tecpaocelotl »