Author Topic: Sun Bear's Medicine Wheel  (Read 8605 times)

Offline Jaibyrd

• The Weirdo Zone
Sun Bear's Medicine Wheel
« on: June 09, 2010, 10:33:42 pm »
From reading around here I thought some of the names sounded familiar:

http://www.winddaughterwestwinds.com/2010_MedicineWheel.html

Apparently they are coming to my area, is there anything I could or should do/shouldn't do about this if they are a fraudulent bunch to warn people?

Thanks.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Sun Bear's Medicine Wheel
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 01:42:30 am »
Use the search feature and you will find lots onthe late Sun Bear  aka Vincent LaDuke.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:12:45 pm »
From reading around here I thought some of the names sounded familiar:

http://www.winddaughterwestwinds.com/2010_MedicineWheel.html

Apparently they are coming to my area, is there anything I could or should do/shouldn't do about this if they are a fraudulent bunch to warn people?

Thanks.

Feel free to use any ofthe information we have in here about the Bear Tribe.

It's also important to note that their current leader "Wind Daughter" is not even NDN, just as their previous one "Wabun Wind" was not either. She quit after only a few years, but I don't see any reason listed on their sites. The Bear Tribe seems to be in a lot of trouble and in decline after SB's death.
It's also very important tp put out safety warnings. If you look at the BT's sites, one of the people there is listed as a guide for vision quests after having helped out out on a grand total of *three* previous quests. That's a disaster waiting to happen.
Though really, if you look at what they recommend people bring with them for their version of a quest, they take along everything but the kitchen sink...

Offline Jaibyrd

• The Weirdo Zone
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 04:03:18 pm »
Yeesh... Thank you Debbie and EducatedIndian, I have indeed read around the site but I'm still not sure what to do to warn people. I think I will start off my contacting StarWolf and her partner Brad Collins. I have met both and have done guided meditations with them, but I never thought they'd get into selling ceremonies with this bunch, so I thought I might voice my concerns with them. Plus I may also write up an article on the general topic of New Age Frauds and see if I can't get it published in the local "new age" newspaper around here to get some people to think twice and do some research for themselves before they try anything with said groups.

Is that reasonable?

Offline Jaibyrd

• The Weirdo Zone
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 02:36:36 am »
Well I emailed them with my concerns and they responded how I'd figured they might, defending this group - although they did admit the didn't know about Sun Bear being a rapist, but they liked his books and they all respect Wind Daughter.  :-\ I won't post the email they sent back to me here in public if you don't mind (if you wish to see the exchange, I will send it privately, just ask), however they did send my email on to Wind Daughter and sent me her reply and I will post that here:

THIS ALWAYS CAUSES SO MUCH PAIN.  THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE THAT APPEAR ON THE PLASTIC LIST.  IT IS NOT TRUE ABOUT RAPE AND SUN BEAR.  HE WAS NOT WAITING CONVICTION.  NONE OF THAT IS TRUE.  I WOULD KNOW.  SOME VERY POWERFUL PEOPLE APPEAR ON THAT LIST.  THERE WAS A TIME THAT GRANDMA TWY WAS ON IT.  THEY NOT ONLY TARGET PEOPLE CONNECTED WITH NATIVE THEMES BUT OTHERS THAT PRACTICE EARTH BASED PRACTICES.  I HAVE ASKED IN THE PAST IF THESE PEOPLE KNEW SUN BEAR DIRECTLY.  HAD THEY SAT WITH HIM.  HAD THEY PRAYED WITH HIM.  DID THEY ADDRESS HIM DIRECTLY.  SUN BEAR WAS HALF NATIVE AMERICAN, HE NEVER DENIED HIS MIXED BLOOD.  ANYONE CAN BE PLACED ON THE LIST.  THE LIST IS COMPLIED BY PEOPLE WHO HAVE OPINIONS.  THEY ARE NOT ALWAYS CORRECT.  I SEE MICHAEL HARNER,  MARY THUNDER, AND OTHER PEOPLE THAT I KNOW.  I WILL CHECK OUT MORE OF THE LISTS AND WRITE MORE TO YOU LATER.  THANKS FOR INFORMING ME, I AM SORRY THAT ISIS COVE WOULD SUFFER THESE COMPLAINTS AND OPINIONS.   WIND DAUGHTER    I WILL BE GLAD TO RESPOND DIRECTLY TO HER AND CC MY REPLY TO YOU.

I've read all over the boards here and I just have to say, this sounds quite a bit like the same thing these people all say when their names appear here...

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 02:07:59 pm »
The people who made the original lists that put SB as one of the most prominent frauds were the original AIMsters, and they did meet him, protesting his pay to pray.

It's interesting she lists Harner as someone she personally knows. This is the first I've heard of any ties between him and the Bear Tribe.

"Mary Thunder" is actually a white woman named Mary Grimes who claims she had a vision while getting her stomach-stapling surgery and now prays to a crystal skull named Max. ::)