General > Frauds

John Allen Hill / John Two Hawks / John Twohawks

<< < (18/18)

Schecter:
Ok, what unanswered questions do you have about John? I may have what your looking for.

RedRightHand:
I don't recall if any of us have posted this, but one of the things Hill / Two Frauds does to try to get an "in" with Natives (and those who innocently want to support Native efforts) is he goes to Native events that are open to the public and films them. He then makes high-quality videos of these events, and misrepresents them as "Native videos".

Then he posts the videos on Facebook, maybe on YouTube and Vimeo, too. They are posted under his fraud name, or other Native-sounding project names. They get shared. As they are passed around by both nons and Natives who want footage of themselves and their friends, people unwittingly follow him on social media. This makes people consciously or unconsciously assume he is either Native, or accepted by Natives, when really all he did was post a video.

Then he uses these contacts to promote himself.

It's all part of the scam. He's still a non-Native exploiter, using any contact with Natives to make money off his misrepresentations of Native cultures.

Sparks:
The quoted 'Controversy' part has been completely removed from that page:

--- Quote from: educatedindian on September 30, 2018, 12:36:25 pm ---http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Once_(Nightwish_album)

Controversy
On 5 January 2013, a member of the Nightwish forum discovered the alleged Lakota language spoken in the song "Creek Mary's Blood" is not actually Lakota, only spoken gibberish, and stated that John Two-Hawks is a fraud.[37] There are other claims that John Two-Hawks broke the Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990 truth in advertising law by "advertising his music as Native American, and himself as a Native American artisan." John Two-Hawks denied these claims and said that the poem spoken in Creek Mary's Blood has a lot of errors, even though he had a "fluent friend" check to see if the poem has no errors. John Two-Hawks also said that he is Native American though he is not in any Native American tribe.[38] The Nightwish forum member went on to post a correct translation of the spoken poem in "Creek Mary's Blood".[38]
--- End quote ---

I found the same version here, although without references to footnotes:

https://alchetron.com/Once-(Nightwish-album)

--- Quote ---Controversy
On 5 January 2013, a member of the Nightwish forum discovered the Lakota language spoken in the song Creek Mary's Blood is not the real language, only spoken gibberish, and even made claims that John Two-Hawks is a fraud. There are other claims that John Two-Hawks broke the Indian Arts Act of 1990 law by "advertising his music as Native American, and himself as a Native American artisan." John Two-Hawks denied these claims and said that the poem spoken in Creek Mary's Blood has a lot of errors, even though he had a "fluent friend" check to see if the poem has no errors. John Two-Hawks also said that he is Native American though he is not in any Indian tribe. The Nightwish forum member even posts the real translation of the spoken poem in Creek Mary's Blood.
--- End quote ---

Diana:
Here's a prime example of this John Allen Hill insinuating himself in the Big foot memorial ride. It looks like he even pretends to have actual family there with the captions of his pictures. This is absolutely appalling.

https://m.facebook.com/johntwohawks

--- Quote from: RedRightHand on August 28, 2019, 09:34:48 pm ---I don't recall if any of us have posted this, but one of the things Hill / Two Frauds does to try to get an "in" with Natives (and those who innocently want to support Native efforts) is he goes to Native events that are open to the public and films them. He then makes high-quality videos of these events, and misrepresents them as "Native videos".

Then he posts the videos on Facebook, maybe on YouTube and Vimeo, too. They are posted under his fraud name, or other Native-sounding project names. They get shared. As they are passed around by both nons and Natives who want footage of themselves and their friends, people unwittingly follow him on social media. This makes people consciously or unconsciously assume he is either Native, or accepted by Natives, when really all he did was post a video.

Then he uses these contacts to promote himself.

It's all part of the scam. He's still a non-Native exploiter, using any contact with Natives to make money off his misrepresentations of Native cultures.

--- End quote ---

educatedindian:
I'm writing a book on Native metal and punk, also a chapter on bands writing songs about Natives. The whole episode of Hill and Nightwish is described. Here's what will be in the book:

Nightwish “Creek Mary’s Blood”
   Nightwish are a symphonic metal band from Finland. “Creek Mary’s Blood” appears on their most successful album in the US, Once. Four other songs on it were singles, but “Creek” was not, though it was naively praised by many non Natives then.
      Nightwish made the mistake of featuring John Allen Hill AKA “John Two Hawks,” a white  imposter and ceremony seller who has made a career out of posing as a Native. In the song he speaks gibberish that was supposed to be Lakota. The live video has him “chiefing,” acting in the cheesiest most stereotyped way to appeal to whites. 
   The song is lush, synthesizers and orchestra, starting with flutes and wind. The novel Creek Mary’s Blood was written by a white American historian, Dee Brown, best known for the famous history book Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. The novel is an old woman’s telling of the Trail of Tears and other Muscogee Creek history.
       Nightwish’s song does not repeat the hateful imagining of Natives not being alive anymore: “Soon I will be here no more/You`ll hear my tale…Through my people.” They also describe Native origins: “Once we were here/Where we have lived since the world began/Since time itself gave us this land…Our home in peace and war and death.”
   But then comes the imposter Hill’s ugly and obviously New Age lies:

“I still dream every night/Of them wolves, them mustangs, those endless prairies
The unspoilt frontier of my kith n` kin,The hallowed land of the Great Spirit…
In every day I am like the caribou, You like the wolves that make me stronger"

Why would a song supposedly about Muscogee people describe mustangs, caribou, and prairie, none of them in Creek homelands? Why a term used by whites many years ago, “kith n kin?” Hill then made an obvious mistake saying the Great Spirit, a Plains tribe term, when Muscogee have been Baptist Christians for two centuries.
      Finally he repeats a New Age story passed off as Native online. Supposedly, “There are two wolves fighting within me. The one that wins is the one I feed.” This silly nonsense is pure New Age, but the naive sometimes fall for it as Native and “profound.”
     You could argue a Finnish band had no way of knowing he was a fraud. This is false. It’s as easy to find out as doing a Google search. Or even easier, noticing his obvious tanning makeup, his skin color at his hairline several shades lighter. To their credit, Nightwish admitted they were taken in, apologized, and some videos with the imposter were even taken down. None of that stopped New Age idiots defending him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version