General > Frauds

Nibiiwakamigkwe AKA Kay LeClaire AKA Kathryn Le Claire in Madison, Wisconsin

<< < (9/10) > >>

Advanced Smite:
Thank you, Diana. Diana reviewed KL's maternal and Le Claire family genealogy which was essential to disproving KL's claims.

I've been sent screenshots of Facebook conversations that KL had with two different people. In both conversations, KL claims to have "bleached" her skin. The screenshots are attached and the content is transcribed below.

--- Quote ---Facebook Conversation with Anonymous #1

Important Context - "CV" refers to C.V. Vitolo-Haddad. A date was not included with the screenshot but it would likely be after C.V. Vitolo-Haddad's fraudulent claims were revealed on September 4, 2020.

Kay LeClaire: Tbh, this CV and Sawyer stuff is hitting hard. My mom forced us to bleach our skin. She used Ambi “dark spot corrector.” It was so traumatizing, and when I quit a few years ago, she told me I would get spotted like a cow. There is some permanent damage, especially on my hands and face. For CV to claim that’s what happened is gut-wrenching.

Anonymous #1: Oh shit, I’m sorry. They were so reckless with how they appropriated experiences that weren’t their own. I can’t imagine not understanding how harmful that is, to be able to perpetuate those lies.

Kay LeClaire: Yeah, and like, this invalidates my lived experiences. People around here will associate this part of me with CV’s excuse. Me neither.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Facebook Conversation with Anonymous #2

Anonymous #2: Hi Kay! I wanted to reach out because I’ve admired a lot how you embrace your native roots. My <removed> had indigenous Latin Americans <removed>. I wonder if you know of any good ways to find out more about these kinds of histories or if there are any good groups in the midwest for conversing more about these histories. I have been <removed> encouraging me to seek out my history to see where these feelings and energies come from. Thanks for reading, I know this is a lot to offer a mere stranger, and I understand if you don’t have the emotional labor to spare. I appreciate your regardless. <heart emoji>

Kay LeClaire: Boozhoo <removed>. Thanks for your message– I’m so happy to connect! I was raised in my culture, then hardcore abandoned it from late high school through college and a bit after (honestly earlier too: I started bleaching my skin and hair when I was 11). I didn’t think I could be a professional person and indigenous, so I sort of gave up. It wasn’t until I started handling my PTSD diagnosis that I realized so much of my strength came from my culture and I was losing so much by acknowledging it. I don’t know much about Central and South American Indigenous peoples, but I consider us all family. <removed> is very into recovering <removed> indigenous Latinx history. I totally recommend going to one of <removed> workshops or reaching out, just be respectful of <removed> mental energy: <removed> but genuinely loves so many people and wants to help. I’m also down for tea if you want to talk reconnection. I’m part Cuban, but don’t claim Taino (because my ancestors probably killed them, not gonna lie), but am still working out what it means to be a settler, Indigenous, and Latinx all at once <heart emoji>
--- End quote ---

Advanced Smite:
Kathryn Le Claire provided a statement to Robert Chappell from Madison365.

January 3, 2023: Madison Indigenous arts leader, activist revealed as white - By Robert Chappell, Madison 365
https://madison365.com/indigenous-arts-leader-activist-revealed-as-white/

--- Quote ---“I am sorry,” they wrote. “A lot of information has come to my attention since late December. I am still processing it all and do not yet know how to respond adequately. What I can do now is offer change. Moving forward, my efforts will be towards reducing harm by following the directions provided by Native community members and community-specified proxies. Currently, this means that I am not using the Ojibwe name given to me and am removing myself from all community spaces, positions, projects, and grants and will not seek new ones. Any culturally related items I hold are being redistributed back in community, either to the original makers and gift-givers when possible or elsewhere as determined by community members. Thank you.”

LeClaire declined to answer follow-up questions, including who gave them their Ojibwe name and what information came to their attention.
--- End quote ---

I've attached a screenshot from a TikTok that KL made on 2/23/2021. In the comments, KL states "my name was given by an elder near Cass Lake, Minneapolis (sic)."

Advanced Smite:
I was interviewed for the Madison365 article and would like to clarify the intention behind an included quote about Native American population growth that I'm concerned could be misinterpreted. My personal belief is that the United States Census Bureau needs to ask more specific questions on the census to accurately document Native American population growth. I do believe some of those questions should be "Are you an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe? Which tribe or band?" I believe there should be additional questions and clarifying language about whether you identify as Native American (but are not an enrolled member) that would help pinpoint organic population growth versus erroneous self-identification. I also believe that tribes need to unite on this issue - Native American population data from the 2020 census is a harbinger of significant trouble ahead.

The article "How the Native American population in the US increased 87% says more about whiteness than about demographics" by Circe Sturm does a great job explaining the issue I was referencing in my Madison365 quote:
https://theconversation.com/how-the-native-american-population-in-the-us-increased-87-says-more-about-whiteness-than-about-demographics-170920

I do not believe that tribal enrollment or blood quantum are necessarily capable of indicating who is truly Native American. Personally, I am happy that some bands of the Minnesota Chippewa are reviewing enrollment criteria. My general belief is that if your closest ancestor with a DOCUMENTED connection was born before 1820 (at the latest) that you may need to think about your reasons for wanting to identify as Native American. I have an ancestor that was born in Switzerland in the 1700s and have taken a DNA ancestry test that indicates I'm possibly* 2% Swiss - I'm not going to add "Swiss" to a professional bio or include that information when I fill out the U.S. Census. Also, there is a significant amount of information online that may falsely lead people to believe they have a Native American ancestor and lead to inaccurate self-identification. Google "Chief Moytoy" to better the size of the problem. How many white people may be inaccurately claiming Cherokee ancestry based off false information?

I would like to thank Robert Chappell from Madison365 for telling the story of "nibiiwakamigkwe" aka Kay LeClaire AKA Kathryn Le Claire. Native American identity is a sensitive issue that many journalists would not have even entertained covering - much less covered it in such a well-researched and thorough manner. Initially, I was hesitant to participate beyond confirming the sources of information used in this thread, but felt comfortable the story was in good hands after talking to Robert Chappell. 

To be clear - the quote below was not intended to infer that tribal enrollment is the only important factor in determining who is Native American.

--- Quote ---AdvancedSmite, the New Age Fraud Forum user who uncovered the deception, said the appropriation of Native identity is a larger issue than any one person.

They noted that the self-identified Native American population grew by 85% between the 2010 and 2020 census, from just over five million to well over nine million.

“That’s not population growth,” they said. “It’s a major issue. The government needs to ask if you are an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe.

“You can’t assume … that Kay LeClaire is an isolated incident … the pretendian problem is a long term, strategic issue,” they wrote in a later email to Madison365, adding that people who falsely claim Indigenous heritage are then passing that false claim on to their children, who may unwittingly accept it, perpetuating a falsehood through generations. “It’s a fight for our future and identity.”
--- End quote ---

*DNA tests (like Ancestry and 23andMe) only provide estimates of ancestry composition. Ancestry estimates are subject to fluctuation when companies update their reference panels. In my opinion, any ancestry estimate below 3% needs to be considered possibly inaccurate without solid genealogical documentation. That documentation should be obtained through solid genealogical research using the Genealogical Proof Standard.

Sparks:

--- Quote from: advancedsmite on January 03, 2023, 05:55:34 pm ---The article "How the Native American population in the US increased 87% says more about whiteness than about demographics" by Circe Sturm does a great job explaining the issue I was referencing in my Madison365 quote:
https://theconversation.com/how-the-native-american-population-in-the-us-increased-87-says-more-about-whiteness-than-about-demographics-170920
--- End quote ---

There is a thread in here about that article and links to a book by Circe Sturm:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=5575.0
[How the Native American population in the US increased 87% (in ten years)]

Diana:
Great job Advancesmite 👏. My hat is off to you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version