General > Non-Frauds

Bullshido Forums for Eastern Tradition and Martial Art Frauds

<< < (2/5) > >>

kahtboosted:
Well, there are a lot of silly folks in the martial arts world. But by nature, the spirit of martial arts goes against poking fun at people.

Sensei is also not a universal term, although white people love to apply it to every martial art. Having practice martial arts but no Japanese martial arts, I have countless times have had to see white people be educated that no, we dont have senseis and dojos. When a white person walks into the Korean or Chinese martial arts school, calling the place a dojo, and asking for the sensei, it is a rather common scene, but still reflects their ignorance of that particular culture in question. Most get all huffy the first time you correct them also, lol.

kahtboosted:
I cant speak on the silly looking sensei you posted a picture of, but he seems dubious/fake, and here the is the bullshido thread poking fun at him. http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19891

I've seen some other silly looking white guys in martial arts, lol. But I have no reason to poke fun at them. Not unless they are harming people or misrepresenting lineages/cultures/etc. Otherwise, they can just be their silly self with their silly students and I won't mind. lol.

Autumn:

--- Quote from: kahtboosted on July 05, 2015, 12:32:17 am ---Well, there are a lot of silly folks in the martial arts world. But by nature, the spirit of martial arts goes against poking fun at people.

Sensei is also not a universal term, although white people love to apply it to every martial art. Having practice martial arts but no Japanese martial arts, I have countless times have had to see white people be educated that no, we dont have senseis and dojos. When a white person walks into the Korean or Chinese martial arts school, calling the place a dojo, and asking for the sensei, it is a rather common scene, but still reflects their ignorance of that particular culture in question. Most get all huffy the first time you correct them also, lol.

--- End quote ---
(My bolding)

Oops!  I have never done any martial arts so I guess I am exempt.

The comments at Bushido at the link you provided are pretty funny though.

kahtboosted:
well the martial arts world has it share of silly people, that's for darn sure. You'd think maybe you seen it all when you read a forum like this and hear about all the new age behavior. But nope, sometimes the martial arts can have just as much silliness.

But in all honesty, people who practice martial arts honestly, and who respect the traditional philosophies, usually tend to be pretty grounded and down-to-earth people. Some of the arts are really more like moving forms of meditation and focusing on balance, those sort of thing. Ofcourse there are branches which are more focused on other goals, and sometimes it gets pretty out there with certain behaviors or the claims some make.

AClockworkWhite:
You guys ever run across this guy George J. Lépine who does that Okichitaw stuff? I was wondering if he's legit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okichitaw

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version