General > Frauds

7 Directions Movement Meditation, White Feather, Susun Weed, Wise Woman Univ

(1/3) > >>

debbieredbear:
So, the frauds are worrried about looking bad??

http://www.wolfclanteachinglodge.org/otiyonnee.html

Notice

Teachings of the Seneca Wolf Clan

In the opinion of the Wolf Clan Teaching Lodge Board of Directors,

“The Seven Directions Movement Meditation”
Is not part of the Seneca or Iroquois Tradition
Is not an accurate reflection of the teachings of the Wolf Clan Teaching Lodge, Seneca Indian Historical Society, Grandmother Twylah Hurd Nitsch, Blue Flower, or Moses Shongo
Has not been sanctioned by the Wolf Clan Teaching Lodge, Seneca Indian Historical Society or Grandmother Twylah
Was published without prior permission from Robert Nitsch, the Wolf Clan Teaching Lodge of the Seneca Indian Historical Society or its Board of Directors
Is a modified version of ‘The Seven Points of Balancing and Empowerment Meditation’ (Dance of the Directions) as brought forward by Dhyani Ywahoo of the Sunray Meditation Society in 1984 and has nothing what-so-ever to do with the Wolf Clan Teaching Lodge of the Seneca Indian Historical Society or Seneca Iroquois Teachings, Tradition or Beliefs.

[Changed title and moved to Research]

educatedindian:
It's a nice irony of chickens coming home to roost. Nitsche or her cohorts spend decades peddling Nuage to twinkies and claiming it to be Seneca, then get upset when getting ripped off and lied about themselves. Nitsche lived in Florida and hadn't lived among the Seneca for many years, and hadn't done anything well regarded by them since her earliest book in the early 70s.

(This site says she passed on. Couldn't find other sites confiming it besides Nuage ones.
http://www.womensradio.com/articles/White-Feather--Messenger-of-Peace--Wolf-Clan-Wisdom-Wheel-Teachings--Seven-Directions-Movement-Meditation/4670.html      But since these Nuagers show no sign of going away, we can't really move the threads about Nitsch to Archives or mark them No Longer a Matter of Concern.)

But their denunciation of WF, Weed, and the "Wise Woman U" still hold up. It just doesn't make what Nitsche and co did any more legit.

WF's bio at the above link and her homepage.

---------------
I am White Feather (o' ah dah gah gen), messenger of Peace,  I was inititiated into the Wolf Clan Teaching Lodge of the Seneca Indian Historical Society by my elder and mentor Yehwehnode-2-Wolves, Twylah Nitsch in 1985.  Honored as a Peace Elder in 1990. I am certified to teach directly by Grandmother Twylah and instructed by her to spread the wisdom wheel teachings to as many people who are eager to learn. We refined and defined the Seven Directions Movement Meditation together. I am the author of the Seven Directions Movement Meditation book and DVD.  A holistic nurse for over 30 years,  dancer, Buddhist practitioner, herbalist and founder of Catskill Mountain Herbals in 1985.  I have been on the teaching team at the Wise Woman Center over 20 years. I reside in the Catskill Mountains with my family.
--------------

Basically the 7 Movements look like a knockoff of Buddhist meditation and exercises. Not surprising it'd look like Diane Fisher/Ywahoo's fraud, but I don't see any sign of her involvement.

Weed's bio is amusing. She admits to no training, just a lot of "teaching"!

------------
http://www.susunweed.com/SusunWeed.htm
Susun S. Weed has no official diplomas of any kind; she left high school in her junior year to pursue studies in mathematics and artificial intelligence at UCLA and she left college in her junior year to pursue life....

In addition to her writing, Ms Weed trains apprentices, oversees the work of more than 300 correspondence course students, coordinates the activities of the Wise Woman Center, and is a High Priestess of Dianic Wicca, a member of the Sisterhood of the Shields, and a Peace Elder.

Susun Weed is a contributor to the Routledge International Encyclopedia of Women's Studies, peer- reviewed journals, and popular magazines, including a regular column in Sagewoman.

Her worldwide teaching schedule encompasses herbal medicine, ethnobotany, pharmacognosy, psychology of healing, ecoherbalism, nutrition, and women's health issues and her venues include medical schools, hospital wellness centers, breast cancer centers, midwifery schools, naturopathic colleges, and shamanic training centers, as well as many conferences....

Susun Weed's Curriculum Vitae

Ms Weed has received the Twentieth Century Award for Achievement, is included in Who's Who of Intellectuals, was recognized as an Outstanding Person of the 20th Century, and was nominated as International Woman of the Year.

-------------

All of those "awards" are semi-scams, not quite the kind you pay for, but close. The company sends you a notice saying they want to include you in their book and hopes you buy the book. Pretty much anyone with a degree or in any kind of business gets offered those.

Further down in that link is her claim about the Wolf Clan and a pretty amusing disclaimer, an attempt to weasel out of any harm her teachings might cause...

-----------

Susun is an initiated member of the Wolf Clan and the Sisterhood of the Shields; she is a Peace Elder. Her adopted Native American grandmothers are Twylah Nitsch and Keywaydinoquay. She is the founder of the Wise Woman Center and Ash Tree Publishing and the voice of the Wise Woman Tradition.

Disclaimer: This information is shared with the understanding that you accept responsibility for your own health and well-being. The results of any treatment can not always be anticipated and never guaranteed. Consult your inner guidance, knowledgeable friends, and trained healers in addition to the writings here.

-----------

Keywaydinoquay Pakawakuk Peschel was an Anishnaabe professor who did many studies on herbal medicine. It's kind of a strange claim, saying she was Weed's adopted grandmother. She passed on 11 years ago, but seemingly Weed did not know that.

The "Wise Woman U" has about two dozen less than impressive "wise women". A couple cooks, a masseuse, a couple writing instructors, various people saying they are artists, and even a cheesemaker. There are two Reiki types, a midwife, and two healers among them.
http://www.wisewomanuniversity.org/mentors/index.html

For the most part they appear well intentioned, and things such as teaching people to eat healthier are not bad ideas at all. The grandiose claims are a bit much. Cooking healthy makes you a "wise woman"? Cheesemaking? Really? But if it weren't for Weed and WF's involvement, I doubt we'd pay them any notice.

Still haven't found WF's legal name.

debbieredbear:
Isn't Sisterhood of the Shields" Lynn Andrewes bunch?

Defend the Sacred:

--- Quote from: debbieredbear on August 23, 2010, 06:01:01 pm ---Isn't Sisterhood of the Shields" Lynn Andrewes bunch?

--- End quote ---

IIRC, in her books that were published in the mid-1980s (I haven't seen any of the later ones) Andrews claimed the "Sisterhood of the Shields" was a secret society of elder women, consisting of representatives from different indigenous cultures from various parts of the world. I gather she used this as a running theme through her fictitious books, claiming that the group put her in touch with women from different cultures. (Problem is, all her info from these "elders" was bogus, so... fraud.)

Twylah Nitsch and Susun Weed were involved in the Medicine Wheel Gatherings (Vincent LaDuke / "Sun Bear"'s thing) at the same time. In 1984, Nitsch was recommending Andrews' book (I think she only had the one out at the time). In at least one of the books Andrews thanks Nitsch and implies that one of her characters may have been based on Nitsch (or at least that's the way some people read it).

Amy Lee also started a group with the same or similar name not long after that.

Andrews' claims of supernatural powers for these women were rather extreme (IIRC, we had teleportation and similar activities happening in the stories). I don't see how they could have fooled people that a group of ordinary women were these characters out of fantasy. But, well, we've seen people who want to be fooled fork over their money for far less. As discussed in the Amy Lee thread, every woman I know of who has claimed to be part of this "sisterhood" is white. Ironic for a group that Andrews initially claimed was indigenous, with her being the speshul white person who they made an exception for.

debbieredbear:
There are some people who are so desperate to have a "GURU" that they will believe anything. I have seen it too many times. One friend was taught a "real Indian moon ceremony". It was from a book by a woman from England who never met any real Indians. She says in the book that her friend "channeled it". It is a guided meditation. I heard it one time and OMG!! I almost burst out laughing! I mean "Imagine the moon is full and a g o l d e n drop of elixer falls on your crown chakra..." (my reaction was OMG the moon is peeing on me!) Friend has been told multiple times that "ceremony" came from a book, is not Native, that Natives ceremonies are not guided meditation with holey new age music. But she still believes. Because she wants to have a "Real Native teacher." This is an intelligent woman who has had this desire since she was a yound woman and she read Lynn Andrewes and Brooke Edwards. I have met many like her. They fall for people like the above.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version