Odds and Ends > Etcetera

Fascism and the New Age

(1/4) > >>

educatedindian:
An entry on a film. I don't suppose anyone has seen it or knows about this woman Devi/Portas?

http://www.spitfirelist.com/f172.html
FTR-172 Fascism and the New Age: The Life and Times of Savitri Devi (Two 30-minute segments) $8.50
One of the tactics of contemporary fascist and Nazi groups is the seduction, infiltration and co-option of groups and philosophies that are not, in and of themselves, fascist. The New Age and Green movements are among the targets of contemporary Nazi infiltration and elements of each have been successfully seduced. A Nazi mystic and ideologue named Savitri Devi (nee Maximiani Portas) is an icon to contemporary Nazi elements and her philosophy overlaps, and has been accepted by, certain elements of both Green and New Age philosophy. This broadcast sets forth both the history and the philosophy of Savitri Devi....
Devi was connected to both American Nazi Party founder George Lincoln Rockwell and William Pierce, the leader of the National Alliance and author of The Turner Diaries. (For more on Pierce see FTR-90.) Most of the second half of the program consists of analysis of the confluence between Devies Nazi occultism and elements of New Age and "Deep Ecology" philosophies. Sharing a misanthropic, anti-Semitic, anti-Christian, atavistic, irrationalist orientation that views animals as equal or superior to homo sapiens, Devi's fascism has led to her acceptance in certain New Age and Green circles. The Rosicrucians, for example, have published one of her titles. (See also RFA #'s 3 and 4, Miscellaneous Archive Shows M7, M14-17, M19, M21, M53, M58 and FTR #'s 9, 10, 11, 12, 27, 60, 64, 65, 70-72, 81, 87, 92, 97.) (Recorded on 10/3/99.)

educatedindian:
Spitfirelist seems to be dedicated to a lot of conspiracy beliefs by the likes of Mae Brussell, but you can find the Nuage/Nazi connection elsewhere.

"Esoteric Hitlerism" as pushed by Devi and Chilean fascist Miguel Serrano.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Nazi+mysticism&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1
"With the fall of the Third Reich, Esoteric Hitlerism took off as Hitler, who had died at the end of the war, was now able to be deified. Savitri Devi was the first major exponent of post-war Esoteric Hitlerism (see her Hitlerian Esotericism and the Tradition (http://library.flawlesslogic.com/souvenirs_10a.htm)), and connected Hitler's Aryan ideology to that of the pro-independence Indians (specifically Hindus) such as Subhas Chandra Bose. For her, the swastika was an especially important symbol, as it symbolized the Aryan unity amongst the Hindus and Germans (and was also a symbol of good fortune for the Tibetans). Devi integrated Nazism into a broader cyclical framework of Hindu history, and called Hitler an avatar of Vishnu....
Miguel Serrano
The next major figure in Esoteric Hitlerism is Miguel Serrano, a Chilean diplomat. He wrote both The Golden Ribbon--Esoteric Hitlerism and Adolf Hitler, the Last Avatar.
He believed that Hitler was in Shambhala, an underground centre in Antarctica (formerly at the North Pole and Tibet), where he was in contact with the Hyperborean gods and from whence he would someday emerge with a fleet of UFOs to lead the forces of light (the Hyperboreans, sometimes associated with Vril) over the forces of darkness (inevitably including, for Serrano, the Jews) in a last battle and inaugurating a Fourth Reich....
Mysticism in modern Neo-Nazism
Modern Neo-Nazism has links to ??satrú, and the black metal scene. Mystic influences often appear in modern Nazi music, particularly references to artifacts such as the Spear of Longinus. On the other hand, many northern European polytheist organisations and groups have stated clearly that Neo-Nazism and its ??satrú connections are certainly not to be considered what is common or 'mainstream' with their adherents. Organisations such as the Theods, the ??satrúarfélagid, and the Northvegr groups are particularly notable in their disavowal of any connections.

Modern Conspiracy Theories
Modern variations of the theory involve Hitler having escaped to the Antarctic, where he joined with a subterranean dinosauroid master race, with whom he now travels inside of UFOs underground, generally beneath the South pole or throughout the center of the hollow earth, but sometimes to a Nazi moon base as well. These Reptilian companions, sometimes seen to be Hyperboreans, are said to possess mighty "Vril" rods capable of easily defeating even modern armies."

Wonder if this is part of what influenced Ickes?

debbieredbear:
I have always felt the nuage people to be racist. They cannot believe that Indians could have made the pyramids in Mexicao and Central America. They think that it is impossible that Indians could have drawn lines in the Andes Mountains. They then make up crap about how Aliens, MU, Atlantis ect must have taught Indians these things. Grumble grumble. I must be ranky because I am getting over the flu.

Barnaby_McEwan:

--- Quote ---I don't suppose anyone has seen it or knows about this woman Devi/Portas?
--- End quote ---

I've heard about her, but haven't yet read the only serious work on her that I'm aware of: Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke's 'Hitler's Priestess'. This reviewer thinks the author has exaggerated her importance:

--- Quote ---Hitler's Priestess should be seen as a natural progression from Goodrick-Clarke's prior book The Occult Roots of Nazism (New York, 1994), which similarly sought out the origins of Nazism in obscure occult sects. The only difference is that Goodrick-Clarke's targets are no longer wizened old Wilhelmine sages, but marginal environmentalist groups. While radical and often inflammatory, they are neither the precursors nor the successors to Nazism the author believes them to be. And like Occult Roots, Hitler's Priestess lacks proof of the influence his ideologue had on anyone. In fact, given that Devi's works came out through her husband's own publishing house, one can only assume that very few read her works at all. While she seems to have been well connected, whether she was anything more than a gadfly remains to be proven.
--- End quote ---

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3686/is_200112/ai_n9011306

In this vein, I'd suggest reading a pair of essays by Biehl and Staudenmaier: 'Ecofascism: Lessons from the German Experience'. (AK Press 1995, ISBN 1-873176-73-2)

I don't think the authors mention Devi/Portas, but

--- Quote ---...in order to preserve the liberatory aspects of ecology, the authors, as social ecologists, explore the German experience of fascism and derive from it historical lessons about the political use of ecology - a problem that is of great relevance to ecology movements today.
--- End quote ---

Unlike the Canadian Journal of History reviewer above, Biehl and Staudenmaier think that some 'marginal environmental groups' *are* successors to Nazism in important respects.

Barnaby_McEwan:

--- Quote ---Wonder if this is part of what influenced Ickes?
--- End quote ---

I think that's quite likely: David Icke came to the attention of British anti-fascists when he quoted chunks of the 'Protocols of the Elders of Zion', a poisonous forgery purporting to expose a worldwide Jewish conspiracy, in his book 'The Robots' Rebellion'. He blamed Jews for antisemitism in the same book, and declared that 'the truth' about the Holocaust had yet to be revealed. The British neo-nazi group Combat 18 encouraged its supporters to go and see Icke on the strength of this book. Icke believes that this is evidence of a giant conspiracy to discredit him.

He read about the Protocols in 'Behold A Pale Horse', written by another nuckin' futbar, Milton William Cooper, who claimed to have found the plans for world domination left in a government-surplus photocopier (I bet Harley's kicking himself for not thinking of that story first). Cooper died in a police shoot-out at his home a few years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version