Odds and Ends > Etcetera

New Age victim-blaming, antisemitism.

<< < (2/2)

VHawkins:
Barnaby, what you are describing reminds me of many Television evalgelists and so called "faith healers". They say if God doesn't heal you, it is because you don't have enough faith.

vance

VHawkins:
Joseph --

Can you believe my home town passed a law forbidding the speaking of Spanish for city workers on the job a couple of years back? There was a big law suit and that law is no longer on the books, thank God.

I myself am a United Methodist, and as such believe in a social gospel -- but during that time I made a point of attending a few Hispanic churches, and talked to members face to face about that unjust law, just to let them know not all people in Altus, Oklahoma are like that.

I think some Mexican-American people here will also admit they are of Indian heritage, but many won't. I'd be willin' to bet the same is true up there in Baltimore.

I would never have asked anyone about their heritage until I considered them a very good friend, had eaten at their house or mine, swapped a few fish stories . . . given them a ride to work or home when their car was in the shop or vice versa.

I don't understand what you mean by "braid of stupidity." Never heard that phrase before.

vance

JosephSWM:
Vance,

I made up the braid of stupidity. You take the one strand of stupidity I encountered with people accepting Hispanic poeple and add the few you encountered and put them together and you got a braid of stupidity, stupidity on their part.

Joseph

Barnaby_McEwan:

--- Quote ---Barnaby, what you are describing reminds me of many Television evalgelists and so called "faith healers". They say if God doesn't heal you, it is because you don't have enough faith.

vance
--- End quote ---

It's ironic isn't it? Newagers like to think of themselves as mountain goats, far above the herds in the valley below, but they behave in very similar ways.

VHawkins:
Joseph, sometimes I am just slow. thanks.

Barnaby,

All groups I think, good and bad -- use people who are perhaps just looking for friendship with people of similar interests.  They can call themselves a culture club, tribe, a church, a temple, a mosque or what ever they want to call themselves.

If the person or people organizing it is a con-artist they'll make up a history, a religious belief out of the blue just to make a buck. My personal opinion is many television evangelists are just as guilty as any new age fraud group. I don't know if yall have as many television evangelist as we do -- those who have a made up version of Christianity not found in the Bible.

But it is the exact same dynamic and people they are "preying" on, rather than "praying" for.

vance

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version