Author Topic: Australia  (Read 9604 times)

Offline Liam

• I Love YaBB 2!
Australia
« on: June 21, 2006, 11:14:41 am »
hi guys...I mentioned in my introduction that I'm writing a thesis on cultural theft at the moment...here is a DRAFT of part of my first chapter. Please note it is very much still a draft (look out for spelling and grammer - it will be a bumpy ride)...Cheers, Liam

edited June 21----

I thought it might be a good idea to take this down for the time being. I'm not sure about posting a draft in such a public place where I don't know who's reading it. If you want a read send me an email.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by Liam »

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 02:12:00 pm »
Not wanting to take coals to Newcastle, but I think you should also make a point that the alleged Cherokee/Inka/Maya wears clothes/war bonnet which are Plains style and have nothing to do with the nations he claims affiliation with. This also adds to Runningfox serving the stereotypes which white people hold about ndns.

I find it interesting that he claims affiliation to three nations which happen to be regarded as 'more advanced' by average Euros - the Cherokee belonging to the so-called Five Civilized Tribes, and the Inka and Maya again our average Euro would be able to put into the category of "civilized". Here, too, Runningfox meets the stereotypical view Euros have about ndns.

Runningfox's mixed supply is another indicator of how serious and deeply rooted in Cherokee traditions he is, i.e. not a bit.
He seems to have picked up some bits and pieces about criticism directed at shame-ons since he makes a point of announcing the sweat was for free, just the teachings would cost - he might be surprised to hear that this is against his alleged traditions, too, not to mention the fact that the Cherokee don't do sweats.
His colloidal whatever generators are right out of the nuage warehouse and have nothing to do with ndn spirituality which I think should be explicitly mentioned.

As an aside: I couldn't help a very broad grin when I read he opened his shop at the *gold* coast. Aptly chosen ;D

I take it the website you quote at the beginning was for that Mindwarp Festival. I was very surprised to see them doing promotion with the income to be expected from running a stall there; I haven't in fact seen anything like that e.g. on sites for similar shows done here in Grrmoney. The same applies to their describing the expected clientele so bluntly as "affluent middle class women".

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 04:01:45 pm »
I like your blunt no holds barred writing style. Esp like the term cultural backpacker, so much like the backpackers from the US you often run into in Latin America, well off white kids and middle aged types who imagine they are "slumming" and getting close to the locals while being oblivious to the cushion their money and privilege provides. (Not all, some are simply big on nature and hiking, but the ones who backpack to the cities...)

I'm be interested in how he claims to be Cherokee and Mayan and Incan. Did he have three parents from such very distant locations, Oklahoma or North Carolina AND Mexico or Guatemala AND Peru or Bolivia? No doubt the crystals made that possible.

I suppose Australians can be cut some some slack for not realizing Cherokees are not a Plains tribe. But surely they know these are three very distant countries he's claiming?

I don't know if Runningfox is even a Cherokee name. My guess is the guy is from a Plains tribe and his constant grin in his photos is his laughing it up at how easily he's fooling people.

The Rainbow Warriors bit is also a fake prophecy, originally written by a Southern Baptist minister in the US, a white trying to convert NDNs. It got taken up by white hippies, the Rainbow Tribe.

Offline Liam

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 01:30:58 am »
Thanks for the feedback...I actually mentioned the Prairie dress style in a footnote, but perhaps it should go in the body a little bit more prominantly.

I like the term cultural backpackers as well. I thought it was apt in the way backpackers usually spend more time in a place than your run of the mill tourist, your movements are relatively unrestricted, you can move around easily with a backpack, you can usually bump from one end of the continent to another, and, as you say, they are usually "well off white kids and middle aged types who imagine they are "slumming" and getting close to the locals while being oblivious to the cushion their money and privilege provides". I am looking forward to defining the term, actually.

I'm not sure if you know the Gold Coast Inge, but it is a truly horrible place. It has beautiful beaches, with massve high rise apartments almost literally on top of them. I haven't actually been my self, but  it is basically where you go when you are rich for a bit of a holiday in your time share apartment. I thought it pretty comical that he has a store there. His distance from actual Indian experiences, his "not charging" for sweats (whilst ensuring he still gets paid), that he seems to operate almost primarily out of Australia, and a few other little things made me think he is aware of being called on what he is doing. Australia seems to be a relatively safe place to get away with this sort of thing.

cheers

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 11:08:56 am »
I think anything that contributes to show RF is a fraud, knows pretty little about ndn cultures and traditions (or ignores them), and serves existing stereotypes is much more than just footnote material.

Gold coast: I havent been there but know it's a tourist trap. Actually we got a 'gold coast' in a town nearby which used to have a naval base, and gold coast was the pub district where the local native population had their chance to part the soldiers from their money, i.e. gold coast: a place to make money.

I suppose RF's choice for the site of his shop could also tell something about whom he intends to prey on. I'd suggest affluent people, in a situation different from their everyday life, probably a bit bored cause they don't quite know what to do with all that free time on their hands which adds to what is in them already in the way of being gullible, plus that many people will be spending money more easily during a holiday. A holiday resort will mean a high number of persons passing through over the year instead of 'just' having the citizens of one place where your clientele is more limited in numbers.

I suppose one might assume that all in all, RF gives a ยง$%& whether he truly convinces his customers of the items he sells just as long as they buy something - anything on the spur of the moment. Still many of these tourists can act as multiplyers and tell friends/colleagues/neighbours at home about him (he also wants to sell courses, doesn't he?).

On the other hand, I agree, having the shop in a sort of 'remote' place indicates that he is aware he might be called upon his garbage.

cheers

Offline EagleVision

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 12:13:53 pm »
Hi from Australia:

It is always interesting to read what others write about your own country. First of all, the Gold Coast, is quite a big area, south of Brisbane in Queensland, and down to the New South Wales border. It also has what we call a hinterland, a beautiful area of rainforest, waterfalls and unspoilt bush, and that is where Bobby Running Fox lives. He has a parcel of land near Nerang in the Gold Coast hinterland.

Bobby is considered the "Indian" of Australia, because he has lived here so long, however any serious student of the traditions finds him a bit of a joke. He is married to a blond Australian and they have children, but he has a reputation of messing with the girlies, but not in the dramatic way that other people such as William Two Feathers and Pushican have.

I personally find him affable and pleasant enough, but obviously doesn't know his "traditions." He is clearly using his skin pigmentation as a $maker. He has a retinue of followers, most of whom are lonely middle-aged women who have a crush on him!

So look at his website, and note the photo taken inside the "Sweat Lodge' and you will notice it is bright and well lit! We all joke that he has it airconditioned!!!  He mixes all kinds of modalities and offers "healings" and therepies of all kinds, and for a hefty price...however, if people are stupid enough to fall for this plastic shaman, what can you do??

Don't worry guys...most thinking people in Aus see through lil'Bobby-boy and his poor son who he dresses up in an eagle costume (poor kid looks like big-bird!!!) and makes the poor little chap prance around like a total nong. We try to surpress our laughter, but it is not easy!!!

Keep smiling.....luv from down under!!!