Author Topic: Biker Bar Wants Sweatlodge on Premises  (Read 9980 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Biker Bar Wants Sweatlodge on Premises
« on: April 24, 2006, 02:57:47 am »
And this is happening at Bear Butte, no less.

-----
Carter Camp interview http://www.worldtalkradio.com/show.asp?sid=141

Updates www.defendbearbutte.org

Battle Over Bear Butte
> http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDetail5442.cfm?Id=0,47570
> Over the years...more biker bars have been built in and around Sturgis to meet the demands of the thousands who come for the Sturgis Rally each summer. But when an Arizona man said he was going to build another bar near what's considered a sacred site, he met opposition from Native Americans. It's now become a battle between religious and property rights.
Machines are working to clear the land for Sturgis' newest biker bar...the "Sturgis County Line". Owner Jay Allen said, "In the future, we hope to have a rodeo ground, some outside locations and some nice RV space."
 The construction represents years of hard work for Allen. But Anne White Hat, a member of the Bear Butte International Alliance, has a different reaction.
 White Hat said, "I describe this as an outrage to the sanctity and integrity of this sacred site!"
 Allen's bar is being built about two miles north of Bear Butteā€”a sacred place for Native Americans.
 White Hat said, "These places are very significant in the spiritual integrity of mother earth. They have a direct relationship to each other and to the people from those areas."
 Since plans were announced for the bar last year, opponents have been vocal, even protesting when county commissioners granted Allen a liquor license this month.
 White Hat said, "It was supposed to be based on character and location alone! Not private property. That wasn't what that hearing was supposed to be based on."
 Allen said, "Well I'm grateful that they kept it real basic. They saw that it was character location and this is a property right issue and they saw that."
 Native Americans say the location of the bar infringes on religious rights. They want to see a five mile buffer zone around the butte to stop new development.
 White Hat said, "We're asking where is the regulation? Where's the infrastructure for these campgrounds? They're permitted as campgrounds...in reality they become among the top five cities in the state of South Dakota."
 But Allen says his business will benefit the area by bringing in more money.
 Allen said, "I think that it's going to do very well, not only for me, but for the surrounding county...as far as the tax base goes. But also locally."

Eventually, he hopes to use his complex as a Native American educational center.
>>>> Allen said, "As also as having a place on the property during rallies where a biker can rent a tipi run by Native Americans and even have a sweat lodge where they can share their beliefs system and lifestyle and educate riders like people like myself about them."<<<<

But White Hat says that concept is insulting to her people. White Hat said, "We're really hurt. It's hurtful to see this."

While both Allen and White Hat see value in the land, they don't agree in how it should be used.
 Allen said, "This is the perfect property. It's two and a half miles from the butte. Four miles from the gate, so it's definitely got a gorgeous view of the butte, but it's not a part of it."
 White Hat said, "Folks came here settling because they were being persecuted for their religious practices and so it's an irony in a sense that now we're looking for that same protection."
 The Bear Butte International Alliance is working on a petition to stop the project. Allen's bar is expected to be open in time for this years rally...but with only the bar and a parking lot for now.