Author Topic: Metis  (Read 10459 times)

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Metis
« on: December 12, 2005, 06:10:18 pm »
Tansi;

There has been a resurgence of Metis Cultural Pride which has also opened a door to some, who may not be a part of our Culture, but use the Metis description to abuse our Traditions and Culture.  We are not only people of mixed Aboriginal and non-native ancestry and have a distinct Culture which has survived for hundreds of years.

As the Metis people were mainly a western Canadian and northern US phenomenon, there is a great deal of information available about our Heritage, History and Culture.

www.gdins.org is one area in which a Metis educational institution works toward the education about our peoples and is located in Saskatchewan, Canada.

A website about our national political structure, the Metis Nation of Canada is www.metisnation.ca
Ric

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Metis
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 07:21:57 pm »
Thanks, Ric.

I having been pondering how to counter the "I'm Metis" from people who are mixed blood. They mean well, and do not realize that Metis is a distinct culture. My husband's dad was Metis from Turtle Mountain. They spoke Michif.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Metis
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 11:11:29 pm »
I've noticed that too Ric. Frauds like Charles Storm, Robt Franzone, and Manny "Twofeather" all claim to be Metis. And the people who think "I've got an NDN ancestor from way back when somewhere, but I feel uncomfortable around actual NDNs." often fall for these frauds' claims and tag themselves "Metis" too.

Maybe you could point to good sources about Metis under a thread in the Non Fraud section?

Would you be willing to do a brief write up explaining your feeling about non-Metis claiming to be Metis? We'd be happy to post it in our warnings.