Author Topic: Shore Charnoe  (Read 20128 times)

Offline Yar Spar

Shore Charnoe
« on: August 22, 2017, 06:19:50 pm »
Did some deep digging and the internet provided quite a lot of information about Shore Charnoe.

Shore Charnoe and her partner have been active in the 8 Shields/Art of Mentoring Community for years, and are treated like Elders. She presents herself as a self proclaimed "Medicine Person" and an Indigenous woman. She works as a public speaker, and holds workshops on "Indigenous teachings". She promotes herself as Métis, but no community claims her, nor does she directly address her specific heritage. Her father started a commune in California and had hundreds of followers and his background is quite infamous (below) but her mother's is unknown.

Through her organization, The Circle for Change, she runs workshops that offer teachings such as, "The Principles of Indigenous Medicine", "Journey of a Medicine Person", "Understanding Physical and Spiritual Health from an Indigenous Perspective". But no where does it give a specific tradition, just a sort of pan-Indigenous generality. She asks for payment  by donation but then writes, that if you spend $20 on dinner, or $90 dollars on a one hour appointment with a health practitioner, how much would her weekend workshop be worth? SO she insinuates hundreds of dollars.
 It seems like pretty much all of her work is with and for non-Indigenous people, and selling them these "Indigenous" teachings.

She also was a part of the Indigenous Peoples' United Nations, whose website is now defunct, but the IPUN and it's members' legitimacy has been questioned in this forum.

Shore is the daughter of American Donald Hamrick (1935- 2011), a famous founder/leader of the Harbinger Commune (a California commune from the 60's that promoted communal living, public sex and nudity, use of psychedelics, and had 150 followers, now know as Harbin Hot Springs, a new age centre). He had 6 children, and moved up to Canada and changed his name to Zeera Charnoe. There is a lot of information on Hamrick (aka Charnoe) and Harbinger available on the internet, including links at the bottom of this page. There's also some strange accusations of him working for the CIA.

In a message on Charnoe's facebook page from Zee Charnoe, it reads:
     -  "July, in Aberdeen, Scotland, you entered my life. Thank you for coming. Now, a new home, in the same city, where
         we live. Thank you for coming. Have a wonderful birthday sweetheart. Love Dad"

https://www.thecircleforchange.com/
Her bio on the website from the organization that she started and now runs workshops though reads like this...

"Program founder Shore Charnoe is a Métis woman who received her Bachelor of Social Work degree from Ryerson University in Partnership with First Nations Technical Institute in Canada in 2017 after more than 20 years of serving as a foster parent, adoptive parent, family and children’s mentor, volunteer for children’s aid societies, and consultant for child welfare organizations.
Shore also holds an interdisciplinary Honors Bachelors degree from the University of Guelph, with an emphasis in philosophy of education, developmental psychology, and environmental science.
Shore founded The Circle for Change in Brantford, Ontario in 2013.
Shore is a high-functioning autistic woman who has personally overcome many physical limitations, enabling her to have a special connection with the children and parents she serves. She is a mother to 11 adopted and biological children and a grandmother to four, and has been a foster parent or mentor to more than 80 children and youth.  A number of her adoptive children have fetal alcohol syndrome and come from abusive homes where they were victims of severe abuse, neglect, and trauma."

https://www.youtube.com/wach?v=m0VsRqVUP4Y

In the above video Shore shares drum songs from different cultures, speaks about fostering Indigenous children, and makes references to all sorts of different Indigenous cultures and teachings, meanwhile never directly introducing or addressing her own heritage or community.

- Says "One of the places that I have a lot of teachers in is the Anishinaabe tradition", and then starts talking about
      Anishinaabe as"we" though she is not Anishinaabe.

- Also "Just so you know, I'm a little bit of a trickster, I've had a lot of coyote teachings over the years, and so we
       teach invisibly"... but then have to explain that you're teaching invisibly??

- I did home schooling, out on the land - , but maybe that was
       just the Harbinger Commune or elsewhere?

https://www.brantnews.com/news-story/5803099-imitation-indeed-sincere-flattery-for-camp-unity/

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Information on Donald Hamrick aka Zeera (Zee) Charnoe

http://donaldjameshamrick.yolasite.com/personal-life.php

http://donaldjameshamrick.yolasite.com/resources/Harbinger%20Community,%20for%20Wikibin,%20May20-11.pdf

https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/ky833dv5228

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=79719022
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Some of her siblings are: Sky Charnoe, Bryce Card, Lois Cordova, Jill Marie Hamrick (deceased).
She also has a cousin named J Paul Hawthorne who's a genealogist in California who may have more info.

Piff

Re: Shore Charnoe
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:13:36 am »
 "Just so you know, I'm a little bit of a trickster, I've had a lot of coyote teachings over the years, and so we teach invisibly"

Whoa, that is several red flags right there.

So many frauds make claims like that. "Crazy wisdom", "trickster", "coyote medicine" ... all can be used as an excuse to be abusive, to lie, to not answer direct questions, and to get money for nothing.

Piff

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 03:39:32 am »
Her father Donald J Hamrick was born in California. His mother born in Utah, father California. Everyone white in the 1940 census.

Clicking through the Find a Grave memorial links https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=79719022 - that represents quite a bit of genealogy work, I think it is safe to say that she is not a "Métis woman" on her father's side.

Here are the conspiracy/CIA claims https://web.archive.org/web/20170823033149/https://spidercatweb.blog/2016/12/16/harbint-part-1/ - looks like Shore's mother might be named Jennifer. If we can find out her mother's birth name, we might be able to check out her heritage too.

Since no community claims her, that is most important.

Since there already are weird conspiracy claims about her father, I wonder if this thread will eventually become lively.

Piff

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 04:01:20 am »
Susan Jennifer Gray Charnoe was married to Zee Charnoe, she promotes Shore's work on her own Facebook page, so I assume she is Shore's mother.

Piff

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 03:00:44 pm »
Susan Jennifer Gray Charnoe was married to Zee Charnoe, she promotes Shore's work on her own Facebook page, so I assume she is Shore's mother.

And .... I believe I assumed incorrectly. Don't know Shore's maternal line yet.

Offline Yar Spar

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:43:27 pm »
Yeah, I don't think that is her mother. I think her father had different kids with a few different wives. He does say that she was born in Scotland though on that FB message.

Who knows, it could be true or not that her mother could have Métis heritage, but beyond blood, she's very publically representing herself as a Métis woman but never specifically referencing where she's from, and selling these kind of non-specific Pan-Indigenous teachings, speaking to groups and giving talks as an Indigenous person but referring to all sorts of different teachings from different cultures, and seemingly marketing it all to predominantly non-Indigenous audiences.

Here is the link for her talk, the one I posted above didn't work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0VsRqVUP4Y

Piff

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:55:32 pm »
The The Circle For Change is currently not registered as a non-profit

If you would like to make a tax-deductible contribution, you can earmark your support for Shore Charnoe through the Grandmother – Elder Fellowship Fund, which is part of the Tribal Trust Foundation

https://www.thecircleforchange.com/contribute/

https://www.tribaltrustfoundation.org/grandmothers-fellowship/

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 02:59:09 am »
Here is Shore Charnoe's father Donald Hamrick's genalogy from the 1940's census. As you can see he's white as is his parents. I've gone back as far as the 1860's on his father's side Elmer Hamrick. They are all white. I will be posting his fathers side of the family today and will be going as far as the great great grandparents.

Donald J Hamrick
in the 1940 United States Federal Census
VIEW 1940 United States Federal Census

Name:   Donald J Hamrick
Estimated birth year:   abt 1936
Race:   White
Birthplace:   California
Marital Status:   Single
Relation to Head of House:   Son
Home in 1940:   Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
Map of Home in 1940:   View Map
Street:   E 94
House Number:   355
Sheet Number:   11A
Attended School or College:   No
Highest Grade Completed:   None
Neighbors:   View others on page
Household Members:   
Name   Age
Elmer G Hamrick   25
Donna Hamrick   25
Donald J Hamrick   4

Source Citation
Year: 1940; Census Place: Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California; Roll: T627_429; Page: 11A; Enumeration District: 60-1215
Source Information
Ancestry.com. 1940 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.
Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1940. T627, 4,643 rolls.

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 03:45:45 am »
Here's Donald Hamrick's father and Shore Charnoe's grandfather Elmer Hamrick. Now, in the 1940 census it says he was born in California, he was not. As you can see from his death records and the 1920 census he was born in Texas. And is white. In this census it says his mother Lillian Hamrick was a widow, she was not, she was divorced. I've also posted a 1910 census with Elmer Hamrick's father George. As you can see it is the same family but a b has been added and the name is Hambrick. In several censuses the census taker had made the same mistake.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=18492280&ref=acom

Elmer George Hamrick
in the U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current

Name:   Elmer George Hamrick
Birth Date:   4 Nov 1912
Birth Place:   Houston, Harris County, Texas, United States of America
Death Date:   24 Nov 1982
Death Place:   United States of America
Cemetery:   Sanger Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place:   Sanger, Fresno County, California, United States of America
Has Bio?:   N
Spouse:   Donna Hamrick
URL:   http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-...

Elmer Hamrick
in the 1920 United States Federal Census
VIEW 1920 United States Federal Census

Name: Elmer Hamrick
Birth Year:   abt 1913
[abt 1912]
Birthplace:   Texas
Home in 1920:   Houston Ward 3, Harris, Texas
Street:   Fannin
Residence Date:   1920
Relation to Head of House:   Son
Marital Status:   Single
Father's Birthplace:   Alabama
Mother's name:   Lillian Hamrick
Mother's Birthplace:   North Carolina
Attended School:   Yes
Household Members:   
Name   Age
Lillian Hamrick   42
Oscar Hamrick   17
Myrtle Hamrick   15
Lillian Hamrick   13
Bertha Hamrick   12
Marguerite Hamrick   10
Harriet Hamrick   9
Elmer Hamrick   7
Charley Clark   33
Grace Clark   21
Lillian Clark   1
May M Colley   35
Winifred Colley   15
F E Pye   40
Francis Preston   28
Herbert Preston   33
SAVE & CREATE TREE   Cancel
Source Citation
Year: 1920; Census Place: Houston Ward 3, Harris, Texas; Roll: T625_1813; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 50

Geo T Hambrick

the 1910 United States Federal Census
VIEW 1910 United States Federal Census

Name:   Geo T Hambrick
[Geo T Hamrick]
Age in 1910:   40
Birth Year:   abt 1870
Birthplace:   Alabama
Home in 1910:   Houston Ward 3, Harris, Texas
Street:   Crawford
House Number:   3009
Relation to Head of House:   Head
Marital Status:   Married
Spouse's Name:   L A Hambrick
Father's Birthplace:   Mississippi
Mother's Birthplace:   Alabama
Native Tongue:   English
Industry:   Furniture
Employer, Employee or Other:   Wage Earner
Home Owned or Rented:   Rent
Farm or House:   House
Able to Read:   Yes
Able to Write:   Yes
Years Married:   17
Out of Work:   N
Number of weeks out of work:   0
Household Members:   
Name   Age
Geo T Hambrick   40
L A Hambrick   33
Harry Hambrick   14
Grace Hambrick   12
Frankie Hambrick   10
Oscar Hambrick   8
Myrtle Hambrick   5
Lillian Hambrick   4
Bertha Hambrick   2
Margurite Hambrick   1
Jim Jackson   47

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 05:55:31 am »
Here's Elmer Hamricks mother Lillian Hamrick in the 1910 census a find a grave obit. She had lived a very interesting life and died in 1927. So far we are at the great grandparents and as you can see at the end of this census George Hamrick's mother is living with them Margaret Hamrick. She would be Shore Charnoe's great great grandmother and is also white. I've also added Margaret's husband William H. Hamrick. We are at the 1840's now and all white and almost all from the south.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10810299&ref=com

and her

Alice Lilian Hamrick

in the 1900 United States Federal Census
VIEW 1900 United States Federal Census

Name:   Alice Lilian Hamrick
Birth Date:   Mar 1877
Birthplace:   North Carolina
Home in 1900:   Birmingham Ward 6, Jefferson, Alabama
Ward of City:   6
Street:   25 St South
House Number:   704
Sheet Number:   9A
Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation:   153
Family Number:   207
Relation to Head of House:   Wife
Spouse's Name:   Geo P Hamrick
Marriage Year:   1893
Years Married:   7
Father's Birthplace:   Maine
Mother: number of living children:   3
Mother: How many children:   3
Months not employed:   0
Can Read:   Yes
Can Write:   Yes
Can Speak English:   Yes
Household Members:   
Name   Age
Geo P Hamrick   30
Alice Lilian Hamrick   23
William Harry Hamrick   4
Ora Gracie Hamrick   2
Frances M E Hamrick   5/12
Kate Nellie Hamrick   18
Margaret E Hamrick   53

Margaret E Hamrick

in the 1900 United States Federal Census
VIEW 1900 United States Federal Census

Name:   Margaret E Hamrick
Birth Date:   May 1847
Birthplace:   Alabama
Home in 1900:   Birmingham Ward 6, Jefferson, Alabama
Ward of City:   6
Street:   25 St South
House Number:   704
Sheet Number:   9A
Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation:   153
Family Number:   207
Relation to Head of House:   Mother
Marital Status:   Widowed
Mother's Birthplace:   Alabama
Mother: number of living children:   6
Mother: How many children:   11
Can Read:   Yes
Can Write:   Yes
Can Speak English:   Yes
Household Members:   
Name   Age
Geo P Hamrick   30
Alice Lilian Hamrick   23
William Harry Hamrick   4
Ora Gracie Hamrick   2
Frances M E Hamrick   5/12
Kate Nellie Hamrick   18
Margaret E Hamrick

William Hamrick

in the 1870 United States Federal Census
VIEW 1870 United States Federal Census

Name:   William Hamrick
Age in 1870:   29
Birth Year:   abt 1841
Birthplace:   Georgia
Dwelling Number:   42
Home in 1870:   Beat 3, Shelby, Alabama
Male Citizen Over 21:   Y
Personal Estate Value:   200
Real Estate Value:   150
Household Members:   
Name   Age
William Hamrick   29
Margaret E Hamrick   20
John H Hamrick   4
Sarah J Hamrick   3
John Hamrick   4/12
Source Citation
Year: 1870; Census Place: Beat 3, Shelby, Alabama; Roll: M593_39; Page: 422B; Family History Library Film: 54

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 06:25:38 am »
Now for Lillian Hamrick's parents William and Nancy Foster. I actually went back to all 3rd great grandparents on both sides all born in the 1810s to 1815s. In the 1860's census they don't have race because they only counted the white people. We're at 200 years now for this Shore Charnoe and everyone on her father's side is white. I'll post her mother's side tomorrow.

William Foster

in the 1880 United States Federal Census
VIEW 1880 United States Federal Census

Name:   William Foster
Birth Date:   Abt 1845
Birthplace:   Maine
Home in 1880:   Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey, USA
Street:   Newark Avenue
House Number:   181
Dwelling Number:   30
Relation to Head of House:   Self (Head)
Spouse's Name:   Nancy Foster
Father's Birthplace:   Rhode Island
Mother's Birthplace:   Rhode Island
Household Members:   
Name   Age
William Foster   35
Nancy Foster   25
George Foster   10
Charles Foster   4
Lillie Foster   3
Herbert Foster   2

Source Citation
Year: 1880; Census Place: Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey; Roll: 783; Family History Film: 1254783; Page: 442B; Enumeration District: 016

Nancy Foster

1880 United States Federal Census
VIEW 1880 United States Federal Census

Name:   Nancy Foster
Birth Date:   Abt 1855
Birthplace:   North Carolina
Home in 1880:   Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey, USA
Street:   Newark Avenue
House Number:   181
Dwelling Number:   30
Relation to Head of House:   Wife
Spouse's Name:   William Foster
Father's Birthplace:   North Carolina
Household Members:   
Name   Age
William Foster   35
Nancy Foster   25
George Foster   10
Charles Foster   4
Lillie Foster   3
Herbert Foster   2

Offline Yar Spar

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 03:11:24 am »
Do we know who her mother is though? Don't think it's Susan Jennifer Gray Charnoe...

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 06:09:18 am »
Yes, I do know who her mother is and all her relatives going back several generations. They are all white.

I know I said I was going to post her mother's side of the family today, but got a little distracted. I promise I will post it in the next day or two.

Do we know who her mother is though? Don't think it's Susan Jennifer Gray Charnoe...

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 01:51:02 am »
Gerald McLaren, the elderly white guy posing as Navajo here.
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=5038.0

He sent a defense of Charnoe:

"It is real life experience that counts, and makes you "Native".

I see you have slandered and hurt some real good people are are doing some real good."

I didn't change that, it's exactly as he wrote it. Which leaves open the question of whether he personally knows or is tied to Charnoe.

The rest of his long email was a rant insisting real NDNs live in the country, no doubt taken from Stereotypes R Us.

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 07:10:47 am »
Ok, here's a record of Donald Hamrick's marriages and divorces. His first marraige was to Jonna Lee Wagner, Shore Charnoe's mother. They had 5 children, two are dead. His second marriage was to a woman named Hila Zein Charnoe. I don't have a marriage record for them, but I believe they were married in Denmark. I got that information from a family tree that was made public in Ancesty.com. Also in this family tree they have Donald Hamrick marrying 5 days later to Susan Jennifer Gray. I can't find any marriage records for them under Hamrick,  Charnoe or Gray. So I suspect maybe they weren't married. What is also strange is his second marriage, in the divorce record the wife's last name is Charnoe, but his last name is still Hamrick. I don't know if Donald Hamrick took his second wife's last name of Charnoe. Piff said she couldn't find no legal name change for Donald hamrick in America or Canada.

Donald Hamrick

in the Oregon, Marriage Indexes, 1906-2009
VIEW Oregon, Marriage Indexes, 1906-2009

Name:   Donald Hamrick
Marriage Date:   15 Jun 1954
Marriage Place:   Lane, Oregon, USA
Spouse:   Jonna Wagner

Donald J Hamrick

in the California, Divorce Index, 1966-1984
VIEW California, Divorce Index, 1966-1984

Name:   Donald J Hamrick
Spouse Name:   Johna L Wagner