Author Topic: L Ron Hubbard, Scientology, & Their Claims About the Blackfeet  (Read 9406 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
This is one of the weirder ones. Scientology's fraudulent nature, Hubbard's numerous lies, and the abuse done to its members are widely known and covered in lots of sites online. What I'm alking about here is a longstanding claim of Hubbard's, that he was made a "blood brother" in the Blackfoot Nation at the age of eight (in some accounts at six), and this recent press release.

----------------

Posted on Tue, Mar. 25, 2008print email    Resize text
Blackfeet Indians Offer Nation's Highest Honor to L. Ron Hubbard for Changing America's View of The Old West and Indians
Before Dances with Wolves, there was Buckskin Brigades
By Galaxy Press

BROWNING, Mont., March 25 --Amidst the steady beat of tribal drums and ceremonial chants of Montana's Blackfeet Indians, leaders of that proud nation recently honored their blood brother and champion, L. Ron Hubbard, with the Blackfeet Indian war bonnet, the highest honor that can be received for any person.

The ceremony marked the Blackfeet Indian's acknowledgement of L. Ron Hubbard's accurate and moving portrayal of the Montana natives in novels that date back to the Golden Age of fiction in the 1930s.

"This was a very spiritual and educational experience for all that attended," said Larry Grounds, Blackfeet Nation cultural advisor, who together with his brother Rick Grounds, Blackfeet medicine man and Al Potts, Blackfeet Spiritual Advisor, oversaw the ceremony. "Through the passing of the war bonnet there was a unity of Hubbard's spirit and the Pikuni (the Blackfeet) nation," Larry Grounds concluded.

It was "a reuniting of old kindred spirits," said Patricia "Running Crane" Devereaux who accepted the war bonnet on Hubbard's behalf. She will see to its transfer to the L. Ron Hubbard's Museum located in Hollywood, CA.

In 1937, Hubbard penned his first novel Buckskin Brigades, based on his experience with this people, that portrayed the Blackfeet Indian in a different light, representing their nation as it was at the height of its power, and where he called them, "the mightiest body of fighters on the plains; the truest of gentlemen."

It was in the early 1900s, growing up in the still-wild Montana foothills that the young Hubbard was befriended by a Blackfoot Medicine Man named "Old Tom," beginning a relationship that has continued to grow for almost a century and has led to the tribe's formal recognition.

Noted for their authenticity, Hubbard's Golden Age fiction stories regularly entertained millions of American's throughout the 30s and 40s. "When he published Buckskin Brigades, America was able to see a different side to the American Indian, a side totally at variance to the 'savage' stereotype that the popular reading fare and Hollywood movie-making had sought to create," said John Goodwin, president of Galaxy Press. "And this, decades before anyone had ever heard of Dances with Wolves."

For more information about these golden age stories, go to http://www.goldenagestories.com

SOURCE Galaxy Press

------------

Again, it's a press release by a book co selling Hubbard's old stories. A search turns up that only this paper in Mississippi was naive enough to publish it, except for some business sections on a few sites who classed it as the publicity release it is, and Indian Country Today for a short time, before they pulled it.

But there are some things in the release I want to look into. Patricia Devereaux apparently is an enrolled Blackfoot as well as a Scientologist. So we see why she's part of this.

The Grounds brothers I couldn't find any notice of anywhere else. But Al Potts is apparently pretty well known. How'd he wind up pulled into this?

So was it Deveraux making a lot of exaggerrated claims, or did the Blackfoot Nation really give out this award? Because I'd guess, even without having read his books, they're probably about as "accurate" as anything else Hubbard wrote. Or about as accurate with what they got compared to, Dances With Wolves.

Offline NanticokePiney

Re: L Ron Hubbard, Scientology, & Their Claims About the Blackfeet
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 02:47:41 am »
  I read his real biography somewhere. I can't think of the book. It mentioned nothing about the Blackfeet "adopting" him though. Lemme look for that book. It's in the PYM ( Philadelphia Yearly Meeting "Quaker")  library so it may take a few days.

Offline NanticokePiney

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 12:59:25 am »
  The  'Sinister Forces' series by Peter Levenda. Book 1 has a bio of Hubbard in it.

Offline E.P. Grondine

• Man and Impact in the Americas
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 03:02:25 am »
Hi Piney, all -

You probably want to read Bare Faced Messiah, which is available online (at the clambake link below). It's quite a story.

L. Ron Hubbard was really pathological, and that he was one of the first NAFPS is no surprise. Let me give you an idea of the true man.

It is well know that in an interview with Penthouse magazine Ron Hubbard Jnr made allegations about his father L Ron Hubard's service to the KGB:

http://www.lermanet.com/scientologynews/penthouse-LRonHubbardJr-interview-1983.htm

It is also well known that Ron Hubbard Jnr denied there claims during a period of financial stress:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_DeWolf

Fortunately, independent means exist to verify Ron Jr.'s claims.

After the Second World War, the Soviet cipher system used by the KGB and GRU was cracked and many of their messages were read. Unfortunately, large gaps still remain in the readings of those messages, and half of their agents remain unidentified, but still -

"Penthouse: What was the first example you can remember
of your father's espionage activity?

"Hubbard: I remember one day in 1944 when he
came home from the naval base where he was stationed
in Oregon with a big, gray metal box under his arm.

From Bare Faced Messiah we can identify this time period
as between December, 1943 and June, 1944
http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/bfm/bfm06.htm

Now for the charge:

"He [Ron Snr.] put [it] in our little attached garage
and put a tarp over it. That weekend a couple of funny little guys came
over to the house. I remember it was SUMMER"

May, 1944 - June, 1944

"and they were wearing heavy woollen overcoats --dark brown
overcoats. It stuck in my mind: what are they doing
wearing overcoats when it's hotter than hell? I was
only about ten at the time. Anyway, these big,
sweating guys take the box and put in in their car and
drive off. But before they'd come, I'd snuck a look in
the box. It had this strange-looking object in it. I
didn't know what the hell it was."

"Later on, in the fifties, I was walking through a war
surplus store and I suddenly saw an object that was
just like the one I'd seen in the box. It was the
heart of the radar. During the war --when those men
took it from our garage --it was super-secret,
super-valuable, worth thousands of dollars. I remember
that people were told to commit suicide if it ever got
captured in order to blow it up."

Presumably, this operation would have been run out of
the "residence" in San Francisco, code named Babylon
[Vavilon]. We do have one visit to Portland:

http://www.nsa.gov/venona/releases/06_June_1944_R4_m2_p1.gif

to/with Boev on 30 May, 1944.
From a Venona index: http://www.johnearlhaynes.org/page66.html we have:
Boev (KGB Line, San Francisco) [source Venona]
Boevoj  =  Petrov on Tsiolkovskij (ship)  (KGB Line, San Francisco) [source Venona]

Its humourous to note the Konstantin Tsiolkovsky was the founder of
Russian rocketry. Boev appears to have been a courier.

Apparently this was part of this visit:
http://www.nsa.gov/venona/releases/29_May_1944_R4_m1_p1.gif

There is an officer Nazarov in Vancouver, Canada at this time, who has come from Los Angeles
http://www.nsa.gov/venona/releases/30_May_1944_R3_m2_p2.gif

These Venona intercepts appear to substantiate Ron Jr.'s accusations of his father Ron Hubbard's work for the KGB.

Later on, L Ron Hubbard stole some of his acquaintances' work on hypnosis and created his own religion. These hypnotic techniques can work on anyone, and that includes those of Native American ancestry, which may account for some of what you're seeing.

The man was so crazy he went way beyond being simply evil.

E.P. Grondine
"Amazing Stories"
- a biography of cult leader Richard Kieninger

seeker

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:00:17 am »
This press release is bogus.   To verify news from Blackfeet Country you can always email the Glacier Reporter at glcrptr@3rivers.net.

Epiphany

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 06:57:55 pm »
On a Scientology site:

1913-1917:
In 1913, settling in the city of Kalispell, Montana, L. Ron Hubbard first encounters the Blackfoot Indians at a tribal dance on the outskirts of town. The Indians are much taken with young Ron’s inquisitiveness and the beginnings of a bond are established.
From Kalispell, L. Ron Hubbard moves to Montana’s capital at Helena, where during the summer months he usually resides at the family ranch, affectionately known as the “Old Homestead.” During the harsh winter months, a three-story red brick house near the corner of Helena’s Fifth and Beatty Streets serves as his home.
Among other colorful figures in this still pioneer setting, he meets Old Tom, a Blackfoot Indian medicine man. A unique and rare relationship is established as the elderly shaman passes on much of the tribal lore to his young friend.
Many a Saturday finds L. Ron Hubbard and his friends panning for gold in the gullies for pocket money, while afternoons are spent riding broncos on the surrounding plains.
At the age of six, L. Ron Hubbard is honored with the status of blood brother of the Blackfeet in a ceremony that is still recalled by tribal elders.

http://mediaresources.lronhubbard.org/chronicle/

My use of bolding