Author Topic: Humor, Ceremony, Race and Racial "jokes" (tangent from Four Quarters Farm)  (Read 7008 times)

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

One day a young Mexican fellow came into the lodge for the first time. He was very scared. He didn't speak English so he sat right next to the Lodge leader who could communicate with him.

[...] He couldn't remember, so in his desperation he cried out " My Tacos Are Greasy". Everybody knew what he meant and the door was opened.

WTF? ? ? A person not speaking English? In despair and considerable discomfort using an English sentence?

Not to be disrespectful at all, but I think this is my time to say "Mitakuye Oyasin" now.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Moderation note: After consulting with another admin, I have deleted three posts from the thread "Four Quarters Farm Interfaith, Rainbows of Healing, Valarie & Ian Haag" http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=4623.0

Posts with ceremonial details - correct or incorrect - will be edited or deleted.  Racist jokes, unless we decide to leave them up to show just how depraved one of the frauds is, will likely be deleted as well.  A Robinson, and everyone, if you're wanting to post that stuff, think very carefully before you hit "post."

ETA: added thread link and noting that a further tangent was also moved to this thread; see below.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:02:01 pm by Yells At Pretendians »

Offline a robinson

I see. I didn't realize that I was breaking rules here. So, shall I consider myself yelled at Mr. Global Moderator. I was making a point about words used when one is requesting the door to be opened in a purification ceremony. In particular when circumstances are more unusual with perhaps participants that may not be familiar with the ritual. I thought these things were being discussed here.

I used the example of the situation of these young men from different cultures thrust together in a prison sweat lodge. Some experienced fear, of the unknown, of the heat and intensity of the ceremony as well as fear of their life behind bars. There was humor in the young mans words spoken in the heat of the moment, whether in English or in Spanish but I'm sure no disrespect was intended or taken. All knew how he felt.

I chose to include the setting in which the story was repeated by including some details of a Sacred Ceremony to demonstrate how humor can break the tension of what some may feel in and around a Sacred Ceremony. Also to make sure it was understood this was a serious story. If some of the details of the story had been left out it may have been thought to be less than serious.

So you thought it was a racist joke? You think it was untrue? You compare me to a fraud? The remembrance of this young mans story has stayed with those that were there for a long time. I'm sorry that was missed.

It's interesting that you chose to censor my post on dubious allegations but kept the response that followed of WTF!! and the insinuation that I was spreading BS. I didn't expect that but shouldn't have been surprised.

I don't post here often but felt this was a valid contribution. I'm not used to being censored and then one who speaks disrespectfully back to me allowed to talk. I thought this was supposed to be for and by Native People. Are there any here? My identity and name are not hidden by clownish pseudonyms or claiming to be from Mars. You Mr. Global Moderator do not reveal any identity nor does any of the moderators that I can see I'm a native woman in my mid seventies. In the circles I travel in people are respectful. I'm not used to being chastised by non native people pretending to be otherwise.

I thought this group was interested in truth. I'm sure my post will be deleted for speaking it. I'll leave you with this; a line from a well known fictional drama, something this group seems to be about. As Jack Nicholson said to Tom Cruise, " "You can't handle the Truth".

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
No one is yelling. I'm not deleting your post, but I'm moving it to etc as it's off topic for this thread. Of course this is a forum for Native people, and for anyone working on cultural preservation/protection. But we also know that appropriators read this forum in efforts to data mine;  so we don't post lots of ceremonial details.

No one alleged that you are a fraud. But your story about the Mexican man made no sense and was veering the thread further off-topic.

As for humour in ceremony, that's the call of the ceremonial leader(s) of the particular ceremony someone was in. We have a sense of humour here, but we don't all agree on what is or isn't funny.

Those of us who have participated in this forum for years know one another, often quite well and in person. May I suggest that if you were a regular participant you would have gotten to know us better by this point. :) 

Peace.

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
@ a. robinson, you're not funny.

Lim lemtsh,

Diana

Offline a robinson

Yes, thank you for getting that. There was never a joke. Everything I have said was completely serious. Seemed a truthful story about what happened in a ceremony was so mis-understood. Very hurtful to be accused of a racist joke.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
hello I am Native ;D and there are times when things are to be told
and depends on the different setting. There are times to be serious.
yes we have humor and lots of it ;) but when talking about what happening
in ceremonies on this site is not ok.  One we have people always looking to justify
their bad behavior second as we say around the rez,
what happen at Inipi stays at Inipi.
In Spirit