Author Topic: Divine Blessing Academy  (Read 15262 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Divine Blessing Academy
« on: November 06, 2014, 11:46:18 pm »
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/11/05/selling-sacred-get-your-masters-native-american-shamanism-157683
Selling the Sacred: Get Your Master's in Native American Shamanism?
Christina Rose
11/5/14

New Age spirituality has been building momentum for more than a century, according to scholars—who don’t like it any more than Native people do. Author Howard Bloom called New Age practices “the American religion” that “has been emptying our politics and our private lives of meaning.” A reviewer of another author, Catherine Tumber, said New Agers are “fungus-like, out of our uncontrolled capitalism.”

There is one thing the critics missed though, and that is what New Agers are doing in Indian country. Like the emperor’s new clothes, they have made a popular culture of the sacred invisible, and are selling it to the highest bidder.

A case in point is the Divine Blessings Academy, which objectifies and quantifies spirituality as a product for sale. Though an Internet outcry quickly forced the academy to take down its “Native American Shaman” program from its website, it had offered a four-year degree, a master’s program, and post graduate degree in Native American Shamanism.

Shamanism is a term used often in South America for one who is able to obtain healing through communication with spirits. Native Americans commonly refers to North American Natives, who do not use the term shaman for their spiritual teachers, leaders, or healers.

Divine Blessings is apparently accredited by the International Natural Healers Association, whose website warns, “Please use your judgement when selecting a school or practitioner. Accreditation through the INHA does not mean that these schools have received accreditation through the US Department of Education.” So, basically, it’s one New Age institution approving another.

A perusal of the course catalogue, which was obtained before it was deleted, shows that Divine Blessings Academy offers courses in: The Hopi Prophecy Stone, Smudging and Basic Tools, Finding Your Power Animal, A Form of Reiki Using Native American Principles, Creating and Using Feather Fans, Native American Mantras and Prayers, receiving a Magikal name, and dozens more. Graduation entitles the student to join the Native American Shamanism Society and to receive “a personalized full-color certificate, which will be mailed directly to the student’s home.” (Where else would they mail it?)

All of these courses are offered through downloadable PDF files. In Native cultures, all such training would be offered by a medicine person who had dedicated their life to understanding that which they teach.

“It’s cultural trespassing,” said Carol Iron Rope Herrera, Lakota elder and spiritual advisor. “And its been going on a long time. A few years ago, we had a lot of the New Agers coming into Pine Ridge and Phyllis Swift Hawk was dealing with them.”

A call to Swift Hawk shed light on the way some traditional Lakota people have dealt with the problem. “We talk to them, and let them understand the consequences. I always pray with the non-Indians. My grandmother was real traditional, and she talked about the black nation from Africa, and that they have a pipe and prayer ties. The yellow nation has a pipe and prayer ties, and we do, too. But the white nation doesn’t know which way to turn.”

Unlike the online activists, Swift Hawk’s concerns were not only about the appropriation of culture, but that unsuspecting New Agers may find themselves in danger. “Practicing ceremonies without understanding is dangerous,” she said. “We see so many deaths.”

RELATED: Native History: A Non-Traditional Sweat Leads to Three Deaths

Other problems include local tribal members charging non-Natives as much as $1,000 for sun dances, and hundreds for sweat lodges. “If people didn’t have the money to pay, some were forced to give up family jewels and heirlooms,” Swift Hawk said. “It is up to our people to pray with all people, but when we start charging, that is not the Lakota way. I don’t hate the white race; I don’t want to see them get hurt. We have to pray together for world peace.”.”

....Recently close to 200 traditional people met on Pine Ridge to discuss a charter that would limit the use of sacred items and practices to the Lakota people. Swift Hawk said, “Grandpa Oliver Red Cloud wanted these ways chartered: to have a pipe, an eagle feather, or an eagle plume for a woman, they must have a tribal ID.”

The Divine Blessings Academy gives names to graduates from a teacher the student has never met. Swift Hawk said when the Lakota receive a name it has a purpose, reflects abilities and acts almost as a guide for living. “And when you pray you use your name. That is how the wakinyan (thunder beings), the White Buffalo Calf Woman, Grandmother Earth, and Tunkasila will know who you are,” she said....

Autumn

Re: Divine Blessing Academy
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 01:36:25 am »
The founder of the Divine Blessing Academy is Rev. LaVonda Young Walker.

She still mentions Native American Shamanism on her LinkedIn page:

Founder of Divine Blessings Academy; an accredited academy teaching Spiritual and Holistic Healing, Metaphysics, Psychic-Mediumship, Native American Shamanism, Life Coaching and much more. Offering at-home courses, certifications, and degree programs with one-on-one instructor assistance.
(My Bolding)

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/rev-lavonda-walker-ph-d-dd/37/a84/158

Divine Blessings Academy was founded by Rev. LaVonda Young, Ph.D., DD. From a very young age, LaVonda knew she wanted to help those in need. From the time she was fifteen years old until she reached her mid-twenties, she worked with a very well-known herbal company and travelled the US helping those in need of holistic healing. During that time, her own grandfather was miraculously cured from the divine, through spiritual and holistic healing modalities. She made it her life-mission then, to begin working even deeper with God/Spirit and the angels. She prayed to them all for a unique way in which she could spread the message of this divine healing to the world, and Divine Blessings Academy was blessed into existence.

http://www.zoominfo.com/s/#!search/profile/company?companyId=357146288&targetid=profile

Rev. La Vonda Young, Ph.D. and her Divine Blessings Academy is among the five finalists for Best Mind & Body Online Market by the holistic healing community for the 2013 Readers' Choice Awards.

Rev. La Vonda holds her Doctorate in Spiritual and Holistic Healing, is a Registered Behavioral Therapist, Metaphysical Ordained Minister, holds her Doctor of Divinity, and is trained in 6 forms of Western and Japanese Reiki modalities, a Reflexologist, Aroma Therapist, and Herbalist!

http://healing.about.com/od/rca/ss/rca2013-divine-blessings-academy.htm

Rev. La Vonda Young - Divine Blessings Academy - Alvarado, TX
lavondayoung1@yahoo.com - www.divineblessingsacademy.org

Rev. La Vonda Young, Founder of Divine Blessings Academy, is an ordained healing minister offering Usui Reiki healing services, Angel/Fairy/Spirit Guide Readings, certified Angelic Communication Courses and much more!  Divine Blessings Academy is an accredited Academy offering many diploma courses and degree programs for students wishing to enroll and learn the Spiritual & Holistic fields of study.

http://www.reikiblessings.com/tx.html

In order to get accreditation from the International Natural Healers Association (which is a division of the Yogananda Institute), all you need to do is fill out an application and pay a fee of $275.

http://www.internationalnaturalhealersassociation.com/become-a-member/

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:55:05 am by Autumn »

Epiphany

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 06:12:42 pm »
Certifications

Denise Linn Soul Coaching Program
Professional Master Level Oracle Card Practitioner
Awarded: 2012

The Universal Light (TUL)
Ordained Minister (Rev.)
Awarded: 2010

Registered Behavioral Therapist (RBT)

World Metaphysical Board
Registered Metaphysical Practitioner

Reiki Blessings Academy
Certified Reiki Master Teacher, RMT

International Association of Reiki Professionals
Registered Reiki Master Teacher

Doctor of Divinity Degree (DD)

Ananda Sangha Worldwide
Ananda Online Classes Certificates

Reiki Blessings Academy
Holistic Health Practitioner (HHP)

International Natural Healer's Association
Natural Healer & Academy Accreditation

Ananda Sangha Worldwide
Official Member; Yoga Philosophy teach & train

Degree of Theology

Reiki Blessings Academy
Bachelor of Spiritual Healing (Bsh)

Healers Unite Holistic Association
Registered Holistic Facility

Licenses

United States of America Patent & Trademark Office
Divine Blessings Academy Official Trademark
Awarded: 2011

Official Ordained Minister License

Education

Reiki Blessings Academy
Holistic Health Practitioner
-
MedTrans,Inc.
Certificate in Medical Transcription
-
Theology Degree
-
Registered Behavioral Therapist
-
Professional Career Development Institute
The Professional Interior Decorating Program
-
American School
High School Diploma

https://www.elance.com/s/lyoung79/resume/
-----------
Most if not all of these "degrees" look to be from degree mills, meaningless. So far, looks like the only legit thing she has listed is the fact that she does indeed have a trademark. Though a trademark is not at all a "license" as she lists it here.
--------

Word Mark    DIVINE BLESSINGS ACADEMY
Goods and Services    IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Education services, namely, providing online and correspondence educational courses and degree programs in the field of holistic healing and spiritual healing with direct instructor assistance. FIRST USE: 20100201. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20100601
Standard Characters Claimed    
Mark Drawing Code    (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number    85526574
Filing Date    January 26, 2012
Current Basis    1A
Original Filing Basis    1A
Published for Opposition    June 26, 2012
Registration Number    4205295
Registration Date    September 11, 2012
Owner    (REGISTRANT) Young, Lavonda INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 115 County Road 319B Alvarado TEXAS 76009

(LAST LISTED OWNER) FORMALLY LAVONDA LYNNE YOUNG - NAME CHANGE REQUEST TO WALKER SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP TEXAS 115 COUNTY ROAD 319B ALVARADO TEXAS 76009
Assignment Recorded    ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Disclaimer    NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "ACADEMY" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark    SERVICE MARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator    LIVE
-----------------------

If each of those bogus 13 things she paid for in 2010 were $50 a pop, she spent $650 on nothing.

The online Denise Linn Oracle Card Reader certificate is $577.00 http://www.deniselinn.com/Events-Soul-Coaching-Oracle-Cards.htm

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:14:59 pm by Piff »

Epiphany

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:30:33 pm »
My meditation teacher and friend, Nayaswami Premdas

http://myblissfulnature.weebly.com/blog/paramhansa-yogananda-video-blessings

Here is Nayaswami Premdas: http://www.expandinglight.org/teachers/premdas-ghirla.php

Her own Yogananda related name is Lakshmi Seraphina.

e-Books/courses and programs are based in spirituality/holistic/natural topics and are the writings of author, Ms. Walker, and some are based on the teachings of Paramhansa Yogananda and Swami Kriyananda.

http://www.divineblessingsacademy.org/

DBA is an accredited academy with AADP; American Association of Drugless Practitioners.

American Association of Drugless Practitioners: http://www.aadp.net/

Who is eligible to apply for Board Certification?

Any doctor or practitioner who practices "drugless" therapies or methodologies.

Certification fee for AADP is $285 total

Epiphany

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 06:45:27 pm »
https://web.archive.org/web/20131128061112/http://www.divineblessingsacademy.org/Native-American-Shamanism-Degree-Program_c_62.html

The four courses that made up her The Native American Shamanic  Practitioner Degree Program were on sale for $223.97 total. Grads were then invited into "our private Native American Shaman Medicine Society".

Later edit: in one of these image clips I've uploaded here, she refers to herself as a "long-time Shaman".
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:17:16 pm by Piff »

Epiphany

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 08:24:28 pm »
She used to run the metaphysicalartsacademy.com site:

La Vonda Young, Ph.D., is the Founder of Divine Blessings Academy and Metaphysical Arts Academy.  She has dedicated her life to assisting those who wish to learn the art of energy healing through spiritual and holistic modalities as well as teaching intuitive advancement programs as well.  La Vonda is a second-generation psychic medium who works with the angelic realm including guardian angels, archangels, spirit guides, the ascended masters, Goddesses, as well as the elemental Faery Realms.   She has read for clients from all over the world and all religous backgrounds as well.  All readings are privately created for the client and are emailed directly within 24 to 48 hours after purchase.  For  a custom reading not shown below, please email for specific pricing.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120229195816/http://www.metaphysicalartsacademy.org/intuitive-readings.html

Epiphany

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 08:30:16 pm »
LaVonda: A Soul Medicine Reading is very sacred for a client to receive.  I work directly with the energy of one of my own spirit guides by the name of Ura, who once lived upon the Earth as a Native American and was a part of the Lakota Sioux Indian tribe in the late 1700’s.  He is responsible for helping me with my free spirit (in other words, helping me learn to live outside the box!) and he influences me heavily in the area of alternate thinking paths.  It is through him that I channel information for my clients for all of my Native American, Soul Medicine readings.

http://www.bellesprit.com/feature-bellespirt-diamond-lavonda-young/

(my bolding)

Autumn

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 10:22:33 pm »
We offer a very broad curriculum of study including spiritual healing, holistic healing, energy healing and Reiki, aromatherapy, herbalism, reflexology, native american shamanism, physic and mediumship studies, business management, chakras, and so much more.  We also offer many degree programs for those students wishing to advance their education to a higher level of Bachelor, Master, or Doctoral Degrees.
(My Bolding)

http://myblissfulnature.weebly.com/about.html
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:46:54 pm by Autumn »

Autumn

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 11:07:24 pm »
Could her Ph.D. possibly have been one she awarded herself? (It has happened before)

I have completed numerous degree programs in my life and have had the privilege of learning from so many very talented teachers.  I have actually obtained three degrees over the years and many certifications.  I have a Ph.D. in Spiritual and Holistic Healing and as a Holistic Health Practitioner.  I am also a Registered Behavioral Therapist, an Ordained Healing Minister and a Bach Flower Essence Therapist.  I am certified in several forms of Reiki (Japanese & Western techniques), Herbalism and also Aromatherapy.  I’ve studied abroad, graduating from courses and degree programs in New Zealand, Switzerland, England and of course through my own spiritual teacher’s training through Ananda Village in California.

http://www.bellesprit.com/feature-bellespirt-diamond-lavonda-young/

Most people who have valid Ph.D.'s would say:  "I have a Ph.D. in (field) from the University of (location), but not her.  She just spouts a lot of impressive sounding words which most people do not question.

I agree with Piff.  These are simply degree-mill diplomas where she has filled out a form and sent off the money and gotten back her pretty looking "diploma" and then she turned around and is doing the same thing herself to make money.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:09:16 pm by Autumn »

Offline ShadowDancer

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 01:45:45 am »

Her own Yogananda related name is Lakshmi Seraphina.

She combines words from two completely different cultures in order to create a name, Hindu and Hebrew.

Lakshmi (Sanskrit: ??????? lak?m?, Hindi pronunciation: [?l?k?mi]) is the Hindu goddess of wealth, love, prosperity (both material and spiritual), fortune, and the embodiment of beauty.

A seraph (/?s?r.?f/; pl. seraphs or seraphim /?s?r.?.f?m/; Hebrew: ????????? ??r?fîm, singular ?????? ??r?f; Latin: seraphi[m], singular seraph[us]; Greek: ????????) is a type of celestial or heavenly being in Judaism and Christianity.

The name along with the offerings of the academy is a mishmash of many cultures.

Autumn

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 03:07:40 am »
Several of the degrees/ordinations/certifications which she lists and which Piff has listed in her prior post are from the Universal Light (TUL).

This is their website: http://www.theuniversallight.com/shop/catalog/browse?sessid=fVRdGS78rTUDryxbzaTO4Pn0ZpSvlfIUBaXH5XD7oSYf0IcsEmQk0LRoYnHkyP7S&shop_param=

Since 1974, The Universal Light Inc., a non-denominational, metaphysical church-without-walls, has ordained and validated its ministers and their ministries. It gives LIGHT WORKERS an established, legitimate, spiritual church in which to do their work in freedom and under the protection of the Constitution. Anyone can call from anywhere at any time and obtain validation of your being an ordained minister in whatever metaphysical topics you freely choose. 

The Universal Light (TUL) - She paid $75 - Seems to be a repeat of listing under licenses
Ordained Minister (Rev.)

The Universal Light (TUL) - Not sure of cost - Seems to be a repeat of a listing under Education
Registered Behavioral Therapist (RBT)

The Universal Light (TUL) - She paid $150.00
Doctor of Divinity Degree (DD)

The Universal Light (TUL) - She paid $50
Degree of Theology

The Universal Light (TUL) -She paid $75 (but free if you pay for DD) - Seems to be a repeat of above
Official Ordained Minister License

The Universal Light (TUL) - Seems to be a repeat of above, but she has this listed under Education
Theology Degree                The course itself is free, but you need to pay $50 for the degree
-
The Universal Light (TUL) - Not sure about cost
Registered Behavioral Therapist

Epiphany

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 09:24:37 pm »
From Autumn's earlier post:

These are simply degree-mill diplomas where she has filled out a form and sent off the money and gotten back her pretty looking "diploma" and then she turned around and is doing the same thing herself to make money.

Yep, and anyone she suckers into this will then most likely have to turn around and do the same thing to others. She is a great example of how the Nuage is all about the $.

From Lavonda's bio:

own spiritual teacher’s training through Ananda Village in California.

Unfortunately involvement with Ananda is nothing to brag about. Possibly not all followers know about the controversies, but the information is easily available.

Many people once associated with Ananda now say that going to Ananda was ultimately a destructive force in their lives. Upon discovering the reality of the personality cult of Swami Kriyananda, aka J. Donald Walters, and the revelations of his sexual activities with young women, some of whom considered themselves celibate nuns in the Ananda renunciate order, they leave shocked and disappointed. Often after years of dedicated service, of investing their whole lives in Ananda, as encouraged by the church, people can find themselves devastated financially, emotionally and spiritually. The lawsuit filed against the Ananda church of Self-Realization, known as Ananda, and Swami Kriyananda, includes charges of fraud and deceit, alleging that Swami Kriyananda, aka J. Donald Walters, misrepresented himself to the public as a celibate Hindu priest, known as a swami, while in actuality he was engaging in sexual activity with young women under his spiritual care. Expert witnesses at the trial described the type of sexual activity as "clergy sexual abuse". An abuse of power perpetrated by Swami Kriyananda. While Swami Kriyananda admitted under oath to sexual activity with some followers, he denied it was "abuse". Swami Kriyananda said the young nuns "thrust themselves upon him" and took advantage of "his weakness".

http://www.anandainfo.com/about_us.html

Epiphany

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 08:19:14 pm »
This uploaded cartoon Dr. Shaman PhD just happens to have Divine Blessing Academy certificates depicted too. :)

Autumn

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 12:50:30 am »
This uploaded cartoon Dr. Shaman PhD just happens to have Divine Blessing Academy certificates depicted too. :)

Sharp eyes, Piff!  Something struck me about that image, but I wasn't sure what.

Hah!  And easy payment through Paypal, Visa, and Master Card!

How about that Masters degree in Sweat Lodge?  Lavonda really is the ultimate Shaman Ph.D.