Author Topic: Steve Leyba & United Satanic Apache Front  (Read 10049 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Steve Leyba & United Satanic Apache Front
« on: September 27, 2005, 10:32:22 pm »
OK, this one is as strange as it gets, even compared to Swiftdick or Steevensz. Be warned, the images he uses are not just incredibly graphic he also deliberately tries to insult spiritual traditions.

He actually is Apache, from the Mescalero rez. He's a "performance artist" embraced by some of the gay S&M community in San Francisco who basically has gay S&M sex on stage and calls it an Apache ceremony. I knew he used to tour the country a few years ago, but hadn't heard of him doing anything else for a few years. I suppose we should be thankful he doesn't teach it at workshops or online.

http://www.neitherday.com/danielle_willis/performances_apache_whiskey_rite.html
"Leyba calls himself the head of the United Satanic Apache Front, and the questionable act -- a 'literal metaphor of alcohol being forced on us (Indians, by the White Man)' -- was supposedly based on a traditional Apache ceremony. The upshot of this fiasco, so far, is that the real Apaches have publicly announced that they don't want anything to do with Leyba and wish that he'd grow out his mohawk and not disgrace their tribe in public like that anymore, and Davis has had to issue a lot of apologies"
Davis was the campaign manger for Willie Brown, mayor of Frisco.
Leyba is pretty much is a gay Apache who thinks being gay and blasphemous makes him an artist.
Some of this stuff he does is so graphic I feel the need to warn everyone before posting any links.

For the nonNatives here, these images are on the same level with Serrano's "P-ss Christ" or Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses in aiming for deliberate blasphemy in the name of "art". And like those two, any alleged artistic merit is beside the point. All that does is provide cover for bigots who hate the religions and their followers, done in all three cases by former members of those faiths. For Leyba, he also misrepresents what he does as Apache tradition, and tosses in some faux-Leftist politics on top.

His website with books and paintings that also insult Lakota beliefs (the white buffalo book) and Dineh ones (the skinwalker book). Be warned, you need a strong stomach and calm nerves.
http://www.stevenleyba.com/welcome.htm

Pretty much I think the message of his works are that Native beliefs should bow down before Satanism, or be integrated into them somehow. The whole topic takes an even weirder twist since most "Satanists" are actually atheists who just use the "church" to mock religion in general.

Offline Indijnus1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Steve Leyba & United Satanic Apache Front
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 02:43:16 am »
Ok as an Apache tribal member I just had to check this crap out...only one word comes to mind...freak.

Indijnus1

Offline JakeAl

• sup
Re: Steve Leyba & United Satanic Apache Front
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 04:42:24 pm »
eh. That's an apache?!?

I saw the pic of the woman and the man, are they both the same?

Whatever I guess. I've seen lot's of art that I found senseless but relatively harmless in it's message. This is inconceivable as art to me and seems like degeneration.

Even though I don't get it.. at all .. it seems to me to be the reflection of a sick mind. It's also a reminder for me to make sure and bypass San Fran should I someday get down in that area again.

I'm a fairly open minded person (i think). But all I saw was a person with a mental illness starved for recognition. It's hard for me to accept that this sort of mentality even exists.

If I'm supposed to accept this as somehow culturally relevant to Indians, I'm hopelessly out of touch.

This also occurs to me to demonize our culture through association with such depraved nauseating imagery and ideology.  

This whole idea, as being somehow Indian, is so weird and disturbing, it's almost beyond imagination.