Author Topic: Idle No More  (Read 23676 times)

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Idle No More
« on: December 13, 2012, 03:15:33 pm »
Tansi;

Does everyone in Canada know about the "Idle No More" movement that is confronting issues related to Treaties and the Environment, in Canada?  Check out their Facebook pages!

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Re: Idle No More
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 03:20:30 am »
I support Ide no More
In Spirit

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 10:30:36 pm »
And the #IdleNoMore hashtag on Twitter. Chief Theresa Spence is on Hunger Strike, with many fasting and praying in support, demos all across the land, lots is happening!

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 01:23:08 pm »
Tansi:

Although there has been a news blackout, reminiscent of those around the "Arab Spring", amongst government and corporate controlled media, we are relying on social media, independant media and Aboriginal media, to get information out there.

We hope and Pray that our government will recognize how misguided their efforts are and will respond, in positive ways, to the attention that Idle No More is getting!

Chief Theresa Spence, who has health issues, including Diabetes, is on her 7th day of her hunger strike, awaiting meetings with our non-responsive government!

As is happening, across our country, we are having an Idle No More rally, in Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan, tomorrow.  Information about this can be found on the Idle No More Facebook page.  We know that we are getting support from people in other countries, including the USA and are grateful for this!   

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:01:10 pm »
Tansi:

As Idle No More continues to grow, we rely on international attention and social media to keep people informed!  Dec. 21, 2012 marks a date, which will see coordinated efforts, in many countries and across Canada, to bring even more attention to this movement.

Check out www.idlenomore.com

Today, I heard on radio that our Prime Minister, Stephen Harper (no relation to Elijah) misses hockey, since the NHL lockout.  While he continues to ignore Aboriginal people and all others who support the Idle No More movement, he instead focuses on inconsequential situations.  The Queen's representative in Canada, our Governor General, has no comment about this, either.

This movement insists on Peaceful and Respectful rallies and demonstrations.  Pipes have been raised and the Drums have called on our ancestors, for their support!  Yesterday, in Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan, we had a successful and well attended rally, which drew in people from many, many miles away and, in the crisp Northern Saskatchewan weather, several hundred people walked, Peacefully and Respectfully, to show support.   

Epiphany

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 12:20:43 am »
More than 1,000 join native protest after closing roads in London Ontario

Video http://www.lfpress.com/2012/12/19/native-protest-shuts-down-highways

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 03:01:29 am »
Idle No More is in the States and Mexico now as Native Stand up
This is the seventh generation
In Spirit

Offline ShadowDancer

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 03:51:19 am »
Support is in Portland, Oregon

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/12/local_native_american_activist.html#incart_river

Local Native American activists to show solidarity at Pioneer Place with Canadian movement

By Victoria Edwards, The Oregonian
on December 22, 2012 at 6:20 PM, updated December 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Native American activists will gather in downtown Portland’s Pioneer Place mall on Sunday to show support for native people in Canada, where a legislative bill that is seen as trampling treaty rights has sparked a wave of protests in recent weeks.

The gathering is set for 2 p.m. and will feature singing, drumming and a round dance, said Candida King Bird, a Portland activist. She said it will likely be brief since participants don’t want any problems.

More than 80 people have so far confirmed they’ll be there, King Bird said.

People will also be holding signs showing opposition to C-45, the bill in Canada that set off protests there and have led to support events in the United States. While the protests and events under Idle No More, the name of the movement, were sparked by the bill, the movement has come to include broader issues including indigenous rights, sovereignty and living conditions.

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 04:26:09 am »
Tansi;

We continue to grow, Peacefully and Respectfully and our voices will be heard!

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 01:22:41 am »
May our voice to be heard loud and clear
we are IDLE NO MORE!

We stand together under one fire for our people, our land, our water our way of life
In Spirit

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 01:55:12 am »
Tansi;

As we continue to have flash mob Round Dances at many locales, as well as rallies in many outdoor areas, the cold (30 below Celcius, here right now) we hope that the govt will recognize that the issues will be heard and positively dealt with!

The Canadian govt passed this Omnibus Bill C-45 in December, thinking that no one would notice, with Christmas happening, and that it would be too cold for activism.

They have woken the people, since Treaty Rights are affected, as well as Environmental regulations, which affect All people in Canada!  Three First Nations and one Non-native Women started a Fire, which has caught on, around the world.  The Women in our Matriarchal societies, Traditionally provided guidance for direction and we men were responsible for taking action, along with them.

We can no longer stand back!  We must be Idle No More!

Offline Odelle

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 05:38:20 am »
I've never heard of this before: Idle No More, but also Spencer's fast and, of course, the barrage of legal modifications going on in Canada that are violating treaties.

I guess politicians and companies hope that people will just forget what the word "treaty" means?
:>

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 04:47:12 pm »

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 02:05:13 am »
Tansi;

For more info, check out www.aptn.ca and go to news.
Ric