Author Topic: Florida Tribe of Cherokee Indians  (Read 10239 times)

Offline BlackWolf

Florida Tribe of Cherokee Indians
« on: July 02, 2009, 04:37:29 am »
This is obviously another fradulent Tribe.  But I was interested in the part of their webpage that talks about "Cherokee Citizens", and helping them in different ways.  Are they talking about Cherokee Citizens of their so called Tribe?  Kind of misleading to call themselves Cherokee Citizens.  They talk about grants also? I wonder if they get grants from the Federal Goverment that are intended for Federally Recognized Indian Tribes? or if they are all private donations?  And I'm sure private donors aren't informed about true Cherokee Tribes anyways.

They seem to have a lot of plans in the works.  I know there were a lot of cases in the past where goverment and state grants went to these fraudulent groups.  Then they talk about local colleges working with them.  Only the three Federally Recognized Cherokee Tribes should be able to work with Colleges and schools in regards to Cherokee cultural. 

FTCI conducts a constituent assistance program, in which recognized Cherokees can seek food, blankets, clothing, etc. in times of great need or disaster.

I don't buy the fact that this group is going to help recognized Cherokees with food and clothing.  What do they mean by "recognzied Cherokees" anyway.  If they mean their Tribe, then thats misleading to potential donors that fund their projects. 

http://www.floridacherokee.com/?action=enrollment

This link talks about the Charitable Activity of this so called Tribe.
http://www.floridacherokee.com/?action=charitable

I think it needs to be looked into as to who is funding all of this and if the Florida Tribe of Cherokee Indians is receiving funds intended for true  Indian Tribes?  They seem to have a lot of goals and projects in the works.

Offline Superdog

Re: Florida Tribe of Cherokee Indians
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:59:46 pm »
From the enrollment page it seems like they're one of the most truthful groups out there.  They're pretty much saying if you can't enroll in a recognized Cherokee tribe then you might be able to enroll with them.  

from http://www.floridacherokee.com/enrollment
----------------------------------------------------------------
Enrollment into an American Indian tribe is truly a serious decision for anyone to make. By enrolling into a tribe, you are determining your future and status as both a US citizen as well as a citizen of that tribe.

Dependant upon the family line, some people may be eligible for federal recognition. In other instances, some people may be eligible for state recognition in their state, if their state even has a formal tribal recognition program. If either is the case for you, we strongly suggest that you pursue enrollment in a recognized tribe so that you will be better protected under the law.

However, for the vast majority of Cherokee peoples seeking enrollment, their family line is not tied to a roll that a federal or state recognized tribe of Cherokees recognizes for their own base roll. In other cases, a person may have that tie to a specific, recognized roll but may not have the blood quantum that varies drastically from Cherokee tribe to Cherokee tribe.

In that case, if no federal or state recognized Cherokee tribe or band can be found that will allow you to enroll with them, yet you can prove Cherokee ancestry by virtue of roll (any Cherokee roll), census, treaty or other substantial proof then you are possibly eligible for acceptance into the Florida Tribe of Cherokee Indians.
-----------------------------------------------

And this is from the letter from Ken Johnson who lists himself as the leader..

----------------------------------------------
We are not, and do not, claim to be affiliated with any federally recognized tribe of Cherokees (i.e., the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, the United Keetowah Band, or Eastern Band of Cherokees). Neither do we claim any affiliation with any state recognized tribal entity. Specifically, due to a 2001 legislative repeal of a statute involving state recognition of American Indians, we are not and cannot ever legally be a state recognized tribe and should in no way be construed as a state or federally recognized tribal entity.
----------------------------------------------

Superdog
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:11:05 pm by Superdog »

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 03:22:10 pm »
I agree that they are upfront about that point on their website as you point out Superdog.  My problem is more with this group receiving grants from the Federal and State goverment.  And no matter what they say, its still misleading to other potential donors to call themselves a Cherokee Tribe.  When people and groups donate to them, they think they are donating funds to a real Cherokee Tribe. I still beleive that many in their group may not even have Cherokee blood. 

And just because some of them might have a little Cherokee blood does'nt give them the right to call themselves a Cherokee Tribe.   

Offline Superdog

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 03:28:53 pm »
i agree that the name is misleading and should be changed...they're more like a geneology/heritage group...if they're receiving grants meant for fed. recognized tribes....that's wrong....

Just not seeing any evidence of that and their clear statement about not being recognized and never gonna be recognized is pretty concrete in and of itself....for me it's hard to define them as fraudulent when they state the truth about themselves.  Just my opinion though and I'm also not Cherokee so that shows how much weight my opinion has on this matter...  ;)

Superdog

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 05:41:23 pm »
Yeah, the name gives people the impression that they are a Cherokee Tribe. I'm not saying some of them don't have Cherokee heritage, (some might)  but they have no right to work with federal and state goverment agencies and public institutions on behalf of Cherokee people. 
I didn't really see any evidence either, on the website that they actually have received funds yet.  Maybe its just all talk at this point.  But they do have a long list of upcoming projects that they have listed.  Here's a quote about some of the things that they talk about in regards to working with goverment agencies.  They have no right to provide "consultations to governmental entities" nor to speak on behalf of Cherokees.  Thats another one of my main probelms with this group.

FTCI provides consultations to governmental entities pertaining to issues of American Indian burial grounds, tribal culture, and other such topics; educational institutions, on educational and historical topics; genealogical and historical organizations; artistic and cultural charities and foundations; the media; and private citizens wishing to learn about Cherokee culture or how to track and claim their Cherokee heritage. All consultations are provided free-of-charge by volunteers, and there are no costs associated with this activity. FTCI officers pledge to continue to offer such assistance to government and social organizations, and to help Cherokee citizens find jobs, learn trades, assist in child welfare activities, etc. These activities are always conducted on a voluntary basis and volunteers always cover their own transportation costs. This program supports our nonprofit charitable purposes by strengthening the financial security of Cherokee families and the widespread understanding of Cherokee culture among non-Cherokee groups. Costs of this program are solely funded by donations, in-kind contributions, and as-needed grants.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 01:01:45 pm »
Note the wording "provides consultations to" rather than "is a consulsant for" or "consults with". That suggests to me that the FTC will hear about a case under NAGPRA or ICWA and call up to offer their opinion, not that the feds goes to them. Also mention that they do it free of charge on a volunteer basis. But that doesn't necessarily mean a social worker would do anything with their opinion other listen politely like they're required to.

One of their members is a chaplain and mentioned on a Xian ministry that serves NDNs.
 http://www.geocities.com/m-b-davis/nativenations/

I agree that they're using the title tribe in their name is problematic, but that seems to be about the only thing they do I could find that might be considered unethical. That and their site doesn't mention who their leaders are other than a "Chief Johnson." No mention of charging for membership, no Nuage ties.

They are seeking to build a heritage site, Kalonah Village, but it seems pretty distant.

They used to call themselves Wolf Creek Cherokee Tribe until they realized there's an outfit in Virginia with that name.

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 07:08:43 pm »
I agree they don't seem to be misrepresenting or acting crazy like some of the other False Tribes.  I heard a case a few years ago where a history museum in Florida had some remains that had to be repatriated or reburied I should say.  If I remember right the bones were from one of the Indian tribes in Florida that went extinct in the 1700's. I think it was the Tocabagas or Calusas.  That particular museum wound up contacting one of them made up New Ager Tribes in Florida.  And they were involved in the reburial  I guess the question is, "should just any group that claims to be Indians" or an Indian Tribe be able to be involved in serious issues such as reburials of Native American remains and other issues.  And where do you draw the line?  I think only tradional people from Indian communities should be involved in these kinds of issues.   

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/28/Northpinellas/Ancient_bones_to_be_r.shtml

Spirit People Website
http://www.spiritpeople.org/

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/10/01/Pasco/Spirit_People_keep_an.shtml

Offline White Horse

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 03:58:18 pm »
Here is the document the Safety Harbor Museum published about the Native body they had buried on the Museum grounds so they would not lose there attraction. PLEASE note the tribe they gave the body to is called The Spirit People- NOT a legitimate tribe or group of Enrolled Native Americans.

http://www.cityofsafetyharbor.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/670

Safety Harbor Museum Internment Ceremony
A very rare, public internment ceremony was held on Saturday, June 30 at the Safety
Harbor Museum of Regional History. About 200 people attended this respectful
ceremony conducted by the Spirit People Intertribal Family, a Native American group
located in the Tampa Bay area that honors the history and traditions of Native Americans
from Paleo-times to the modern era.
In 1925, a local farmer came upon some ancient Indian human remains. After his death,
his daughter placed the remains in a box and left them on the doorstep of the Safety
Harbor Museum. Upon receipt of the remains the museum had them examined by the
University of Florida and they concluded that the remains were Native American from
the Weedon Island era (200 AD to 900 AD)
Late last year, the Safety Harbor Museum Director Bobbie Davidson Jones and
Education Director Walter Bowman decided that these human remains should be
properly returned to Mother Earth in the small burial mound located at the Museum site.
But who could or would properly conduct such a sacred ceremony? They wrote letters to
the Seminole and Miccosukee Tribes of Florida and Oklahoma. But after receiving no
responses, the Museum contacted the local Native American organization, the Spirit
People Intertribal Family. The Spirit People organization is experienced and authorized
to conduct ceremonies of internment. After following all the regulations of NAGPRA
(Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act) and notifying all interested
parties concerning the ancient human remains, the Museum and the Spirit People
Intertribal Family cooperated on planning the sacred internment ceremony at the Safety
Harbor Museum site.
What made the planned ceremony very unique was that the internment ceremony would
be performed as a public event to enrich the Tampa Bay public’s appreciation for the
ancient past and develop public awareness of how a sacred internment is conducted.
The ceremony was scheduled to begin at 10:00 AM. The Spiritual Leader and ceremony
director, Robert Chastain, who is a member of the Reedy River Indian Community in
South Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, represented the Spirit People organization in
leading the ceremony. He announced to the large crowd what the solemn ceremony
process was and what public protocol was required during the internment process -
complete silence and no picture taking while the burial was conducted. At 10:00 AM a
fifteen minute private ceremony was held to properly prepare the human remains for
burial in the small burial mound located just east of the Museum on the Museum
property.
Because of my long-standing relationship with the Safety Harbor Museum, I was allowed
to participate with three other museum directors to be official witnesses to the sacred
private ceremony. The sacred private ceremony took place in a small room in the
museum where Robert Chastain gathered with six Spirit People leaders and the four museum witnesses. The sacredness of this ceremony was very moving to me and to all
who attended.
Then in a procession, the Spiritual Leader led the Spirit People members and witnesses
out of the museum to the public gathering around the small burial mound. A shallow
trench had been prepared in the east side of the burial mound. The large crowd was
completely silent and transfixed as Robert Chastain placed the ancient bones carefully in
the trench while members of Spirit People blocked the public view of the remains.
Prayers were said as the process was completed. Then groups of Spirit People women
carried shells filled with earth and spread it over the remains. Sacred herbs and medicine
were spread over the dirt layers and the shallow trench was carefully and respectfully
filled up. Upon filling the shallow trench with the dirt, the Spiritual Leader, Robert
Chastain, announced, “He has gone home. Emeenu.” The Native Americans in the
audience responded with a solemn – “Aho” or Amen.
This was a truly wonderful and solemn ceremony conducted with all the sacredness and
respectfulness appropriate for anyone. The Spirit People Intertribal Family organization
should be commended for making this public event a true cultural experience for the
Tampa Bay community. Most times this ritual is done quietly and in private. And the
Safety Harbor Museum is to be saluted for their responsible actions in arranging for this
very special internment ceremony.
Roger Block, CGCAS Board Member
Robert Chastain, Spiritual Leader of the internment ceremony.
Living that life, some consider a Myth!