Author Topic: White Buffalo Hunt @ Texas Hunt Lodge  (Read 8109 times)

Offline Laurel

White Buffalo Hunt @ Texas Hunt Lodge
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:41:10 pm »

Offline tecpaocelotl

• That one guy...
    • My blog
Re: White Buffalo Hunt @ Texas Hunt Lodge
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:30:23 am »
A lot of problems with the photo. For example the distance of the man and the buffalo which makes the buffalo look a lot bigger bc of it.

Offline Laurel

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:23:32 am »
I don't hunt, but judging by what I've read on Snopes, a lot of hunting photography is like that.

Only I'm not sure we should call these people hunters, as it looks like a canned hunt ranch to me.   :-[

http://www.texashuntlodge.com/white_buffalo_hunt_package.asp

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:32:45 pm »
There has been productive dialogue between NDN activists and the owner of the hunting lodge. I'm not sure if anything official has been released yet, but the man organizing the "hunt" has agreed to stop the shooting of "white buffalo", and it looks like he's removed the pictures of the "white buffalo" from these pages: http://www.texashuntlodge.com/white_buffalo_hunt_package.asp
and http://www.texashuntlodge.com/buffalo_hunt_package.asp

However the name of the page is still there, and the "White Buffalo Hunt" option still appears in the list on this page: http://www.texashuntlodge.com/exotic_hunt_packages.asp
Hopefully these will soon be removed.

The animals in the pictures were probably beefalo, cross-bred to resemble white buffalo. But no matter how the animals were created, it was offensive to even imply that they were hunting sacred animals. Hopefully this is resolved now.

You can write to Aaron Bulkley, owner of the Texas Hunt Lodge, and thank him for stopping the "hunt", and maybe remind him that there is still some residue on his website: info@texashuntlodge.com
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:14:45 am by Kathryn »

Offline Laurel

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 07:44:52 pm »
I was confused by the state of the site (url, but no page, etc). Thanks for filling me in. I'm glad to know this has been stopped, assuming it has; and I will email him.

Thanks again!

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:27:10 pm »
I emailed him, too, and have received no response. The White Buffalo are still listed on the "Exotic Hunt Packages" Page.

The members of AIM Central TX who worked on this say that the animals are not beefalo, but buffalo. We don't know for sure where they came from, but we assume from one of the breeders who is inbreeding and messing with their genetics (via artificial insemination and other things) to get light-colored buffalo and beefalo. There is at least one farm in the Northwest that is doing this. We were pretty sure they were selling to scammers who wanted to pretend a sacred animal had come to them, but it looks like these breeders are also selling the animals for slaughter at resorts like this one. The hunt lodge owner told AIM CT TX leaders that there are other canned hunt lodges like his that are also offering "white buffalo hunts", but he would not give names of these places or details about where the animals have come from.

The resort owner says he has two males, that he will keep at pasture, but he sounded resentful about doing so; he complained about how much money he spent for them and now he has to feed them, etc.... People are brainstorming about whether anyone with a 5013c could get him to donate them for a tax write-off, or if there could be a fundraising drive, with lots of people putting in small amounts of money, to buy them and pasture them on land at Rosebud or another Rez with people who can care for them properly.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:16:08 am by Kathryn »