Author Topic: Mihirangi - Maori performer with Deer Tribe connections  (Read 12611 times)

Offline nemesis

Mihirangi - Maori performer with Deer Tribe connections
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:27:50 am »
I have noticed this performer being promoted by Harley Reagan's followers and I just wanted to make sure that there is a thread about her.

Mihirangi

According to me myspace page here
http://www.myspace.com/kulchanation

she has just finished an Australian tour

This site

http://www.wisdomwomen.com/The_TEAM.html

appears to be a Deer Tribe website as all of the "team" are connected to the deer tribe

the whole site is fairly disturbing IMO

it has a page devoted to Mihirangi here

http://www.wisdomwomen.com/Mihirangi.html

C&P of the t ext as follows:
MEET THE VOICE OF WISDOM WOMEN  
Internationally Acclaimed Contemporary soulful world roots performer from Aoteoroa
(New Zealand)

MIHIRANGI will be giving an amazing performance during the weekend.

Mihirangi was raised in a touring musical family with a history of passionate affection for her Maori ancestry. She is an internationally acclaimed artist and is known as a contemporary soulful world roots performer who also performs Maori songs and dances and plays traditional instruments. Since she was seven, when her Elders re-opened their Ancestral house, Mihirangi was brought up with Maori Tanga, Tikanga and Kaupapa and spent the next nine years learning Kapa Haka (Maori songs and dances). Of Ngati Maniapoto descent Mihirangi is a proud advocate of her culture and today with the help of her Elders she writes her own songs in Maori.

Renowned for her distinctive vocal style with an extraordinary range of power, expression, vitality and intensity, Mihirangi possesses both feminine tenderness and grrrrl power. An activist and a dream weaver with a confidence and credibility in her natural expression of stagecraft she is a performer who imaginatively reflects the moment.

Mihirangi is a solo artist taking music to a new level with her performance style. She creates her own band sound live in front of her audience using a loop pedal, and layering her own vocal sounds. From the foundation of phat solid bass lines to intricately layered harmonies, rhythmic ‘ska’ chops, sensuous jazzy riffs and beat-boxing – it’s all done with Mihirangi’s voice. As a multi-instrumentalist, Mihirangi also plays percussion, guitar and traditional Maori instruments.

Mihirangi’s astonishing one woman show has captured and mesmerized audiences in Canada, USA, Australia and Aotearoa (New Zealand). She is a favorite at festivals across the globe.

Playing out her concerns for indigenous, environmental and spiritual issues and endearing herself to audiences around the world, her journey and insight offers a refreshing perspective of contemporary culture. Although reverent in her traditional deliverance, when her groove kicks in, Mihirangi is all liberation and raw power. Her utterly unique musical vision, and the cross-cultural harmony that she herself represents, will be heard.

Mihirangi has been involved in the global political scene performing in LA at the 30th Anniversary Benefit concert for the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society to an audience of globally active artists including The Dixie Chicks, Flea and Anthony Kiedis of the Chilli Peppers, Pierce Brosnan and Martin Sheen.

Mihirangi has also had the privilege of performing with Michael Franti and Spearhead, Lee Scratch Perry, Blue King Brown and The Resin Dogs.  

“…from the moment this quietly spoken Maori woman stepped on stage and began her performance I knew I would never forget her…  her a capella vocal strength sent shivers of awe down my spine. Mihirangi held the audience's avid attention… She absolutely blew us away.”   Isabel Lim, Beat Magazine, Melbourne, Australia

“Mihirangi has a strong distinctive vocal style and vocal craft... she has confidence and credibility... a strong command of composition, her songwriting abilities come from her strengths in vocal arrangement… Mihirangi is committed to generating awareness for Te Reo Maaori and the development and growth of the Maori music industry. I look forward to watching her musical career flourish.” Ruia Aperahama, New Zealand's award winning Maori Singer-Songwriter

"…engaging live show with killer use of the loop lets her roam through percussion instruments, beat box, guitar and enchanting vocals. Best show I've seen all year!"…
Tracey Page, Dog my Cat Records, Canada  

“Anyone who has seen Mihirangi performing will know that, first of all, for all the political content in her lyrics, she laughs a lot… and that energy on stage is delivered with the most irresistible of beats. Mihirangi is obviously a girl who loves percussion and delivers it every way she can, from thumping her guitar to beatboxing”   Drum Media, Michael Smith - Sydney, Australia

www.myspace.com/kulchanation  

Mihirangi’s Vocal Workshop for MEN and WOMEN:
Being Your Voice
Knowing how to work with your…
Physical Voice, Emotional Voice and
Spiritual Voice

Modern, Traditional and Cultural Techniques
For the beginner to advanced singer

The workshop will include: -
Your Instrument
Knowing your Anatomy
Building Health and Strength
Vocal Technique and Vocal Exercise
Your Character
Emotions and Singing
Vocal Styles, Music and Harmony
Surrender, Release and Confidence
Your Power
Singing from your Soul
Chakras, Auras and Frequency
Your Purpose, Intention and Message
Healing, Traditions, Rituals, Chanting and Culture

MIHIRANGI'S 1 day program: HAKA FOR WOMEN
More (click here)

Now I have no idea if this woman is a real Maori or a fake, however AFAIK Maori customs and traditions do dot include chakras, auras or any of the trash promoted by the deer tribe.

She is mentioned on a thread here as foloows:
November
Ceremonial Medicine Journey in New Zealand
November 2 – 13, 2010: with Batty ThunderBear, Mukee Okan and Mihirangi
Contact: Mukee: mukee@spiritfireproductions.com   • Batty: battygold@aol.com
Register online at www.spiritfireproductions.com • Only 13 places left!

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=913.msg23452#msg23452

as she is working with some of the most predatory people in the deer tribe

This performer is getting to perform and network with some musical heavyweights and this concerns me greatly.  

I just wondered if anyone had any further information or insights into this woman?

edited to add

here's another photo of her in traditional Maori headdress ??  ???

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:10:38 pm by educatedindian »

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: Mihirangi - Maori performer (allegedly) Deer Tribe connections
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:19:36 pm »
Do we have any Maori members or contacts who can address this?

Beyond the book and films Once Were Warriors and Whale Rider, I don't know much about Maori culture. But somehow I doubt chakras, auras and pretendian pseudo-tantra are part of the traditional ways.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Mihirangi - Maori performer with Deer Tribe connections
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:10:03 pm »
Her connections are not alleged, she's a ceremony seller working with them, in Australia and NZ. Move to Frauds.
http://www.sweetmedicine.com.au/calendar-view
"November  Ceremonial Medicine Journey in New Zealand
November 2 – 13, 2010  With Batty ThunderBear, Mukee Okan and Mihirangi
Contact: Mukee: mukee@spiritfireproductions.com• Batty: battygold@aol.com
Register online at www.spiritfireproductions.com • Only 13 places left!"

That earlier photo of "Mukee Okan." I met her briefly, when I protested outside their ceremony selling in Phoenix @ 2001. Time has not been kind to her. She looked to be in her late 20s in 2001, now looks to be mid 50s.

The ceremony selling Mihirangi does in the US for the Deer Tribe claims to be a female version of their haka or war chant. I've never heard of that before. In any case she inaccurately claims it's male only except for the sooper secret version she'll teach you. Nonsense, there are plenty of times one can see women taking part in haka.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-lrE2JcO44
What probably is phony is her pseudo feminist version of it, sold as an individual self empowerment instead of a community ritual. What also makes me supsect her phoniness is her ever changing locations of tattoos. Some photos show her with them on her forehead, other times only around the mouth. So I'd guess those are both painted on temporaries. The right to wear face tattoos has to be earned. I doubt other Maori approve of her casual use of them.
The haka itself isn't necessarily spiritual. Keep in mind that soccer teams use them all the time.