Author Topic: Trivita  (Read 9837 times)

Trivita
« on: February 25, 2011, 06:30:35 am »
This may not belong in this category..

starts at about 3:47

summary is this guy made an amazing discovery one night
sitting around the campfire with 7 natives..  these natives
told him the secret to their wellness.

at about 5:08 he says they *had* to get this super fruit used
by the desert natives for hundreds of years to people suffering
with pain.

the rest seems to be just the usual testimonies that go with
these infomercial things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h3aZotlbYE

from one of the many websites set up by business entrepeneurs

http://www.trivita.com/US-SP/shop/productdetail.aspx?pid=4240

The meaning of Wellavoh
Wellavoh (wel-lah v?h) – is derived from the Native American language and means “Wellness Harvest.” Wellavoh is rooted in the healing plants of the Sonoran Desert and brings native traditions and ancient wisdom from the Nopal cactus and other Sonoran botanicals to you in its purest and freshest form.

--

Not sure what can be done about them using Native Americans to
sell their product?
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline tecpaocelotl

• That one guy...
    • My blog
Re: Trivita
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:47:47 am »
I seen the infomercial a few days ago and that's the part where I question it.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:09:14 pm »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 11:11:30 pm »
This is another MLM scam. It definitely belongs under Frauds. The best thing we can do is either
a) expose their silly claims about being an NDN product or
b) ask why the profits and credit for this product are not being given to the alleged NDNs they took it from if the story was actually true.

They have quite a few alleged health products, but the ones they claim are NDN origin are Nopalea and Wellovah.
The Nopalea product is pretty unimpressive, pure hype. It's plain old nopales or cactus ears and fruit.
http://www.mytucsonblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/nopales-at-the-grocery-store-thumb.jpg

Nopales are a common food in the southwest among both NDNs and Mexicans. You strip the cactus of thorns, cut it and cook it with eggs, or make it part of a salad. Tastes kind of like green beans but sweeter. It is healthy, lots of vitamins. But you could go to any Mexican market and get the same thing much cheaper and healthier. Turning it into a pill seems like it'd strip it of much of its benefits, not make it better. Take a look at their prices. It's 160 bucks for a bottle. You can buy six months worth of nopales to eat for that price.

They claim Wellovah is made from Sonoran bloom, supposedly another NDN secret, though the tribe is never named. Sonora has mostly Yaqui or Oodham people, also Seri and Cocopah. I don't claim to know any of those languages, but Wellovah doesn't show up in any search when you combine it with those tribes names. It frankly seems like a cheesy word they just made up.

Trivita does claim to do charitable aid with something they set up called House of Giving. But it's a way for its "associates" to give to charities, not for the company itself.

Offline tecpaocelotl

• That one guy...
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 02:49:41 am »
They claim Wellovah is made from Sonoran bloom, supposedly another NDN secret, though the tribe is never named

One question though, where does this whole marketing concept of "indian secret" come from?

I remember seeing a few things for sell throughout the years with that gimmick, but never understand why sell it in that way?

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:02:34 pm »
One question though, where does this whole marketing concept of "indian secret" come from?

I remember seeing a few things for sell throughout the years with that gimmick, but never understand why sell it in that way?

I think it comes from mainstream ignorance about other cultures. The "exotification" of the unknown. I recall seeing ads for bogus cures in old magazines from the early 1900's that claimed to have the secrets of Egypt, or of India, usually accompanied by racist caricatures of "wise men" from those cultures.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 07:26:36 pm »
Also there are people who believe certain groups of people
have knowledge of things that western civilization has not.
So, labeling a product as being from their knowledge,
people buy it. Because they have more belief in these people's
knowledge than they do in western civilization sciences.
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 09:55:27 pm »

Yet these same people usually decide not to listen when actual people from that culture try to tell them the truth. They prefer their "exoticism" filtered through their outsider lens.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 10:14:24 pm »
yes, many of them do.

some are not "seeking spirituality" or whatever that is called.. but
are simply looking for alternative relief of their ailments. not everyone
is out to rip off others.. but unfortunately get ripped off them selves
because of the exploiters.

there are innocent people involved as well, is what i'm saying.. who
simply believe other cultures have better ways of addressing illness
than western science.

there's something to be said for stereotyping, not everyone is in the
same group.

Yet these same people usually decide not to listen when actual people from that culture try to tell them the truth. They prefer their "exoticism" filtered through their outsider lens.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:27:15 am by Kathryn »