Author Topic: 'Pow wow', West Knoyle, Wiltshire, UK July 2005  (Read 19506 times)

Offline TimberlineWarrior

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: 'Pow wow', West Knoyle, Wiltshire, UK July 200
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2005, 11:09:02 pm »
Well I will be there with my tipi, quite a big one with the red wolves painted around the outside, plus the Iroquois flag around the base. If you don't know what that looks like it's on the web often enough.
I'm taking a second so if anyone does want to stay over I'm sure it can be arranged.

See anyone there who's coming, The kettles usually hot.

^..^

bobby

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005, 02:34:11 pm »
Hi. My name's bobby and I'll be down to join you as well at the PowWow.
I'm a Canadian mixed blood Ohsweken Mohawk and I'll be joined by my wife, a Mi'q Ma'q friend and her Shoshone partner.

Looking forward to meeting up with people and having a cup of tea and a chat.....I'll be looking for yer tipi's!

bobby demers

Robin Whitlock

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 03:27:30 pm »
Hi everyone. Well, I've just come back from the pow wow at West Knoyle, and I have to say its pretty much as Timberline Warrior described it (I'm pleased to have connected with him by the way, we had a really good chat for about half an hour over a cup of tea in his tipi - thanks for that Timberline).

Virtually everyone I saw were a) hobbyists who dressed in NA costume and danced without claiming to be anyone special b) tradespeople selling repro NA artefacts etc and c) others like myself who went along just out of interest and a fascination for NA culture.

One thing that did hack me off was that one or two of the costumed participants wore the full eagle feather headress, which I presume would have been worn originally by a chief. My thoughts went along the lines of 'well I doubt you've actually earned the right to wear that have you?'

Many of the costumes were brilliant, with obviously a lot of time and attention devoted to detail, colour and impression. Most costumes were of the 'modern pow wow dance dress' variety, but a few chose to try and replicate the 'buckskin' look (my words) which made them look as if they had just returned from a hunt or, well, any other normal tribal activity really. There was one young chap who really looked the part, as if he'd just stepped off a movie set (apart from the non-native skin tone and definitely blonde hair).

I made sure I didn't buy any repro NA trinkets, in fact every time I thought that I might do so I just got a queasy feeling in my stomach, which stopped me short. I did buy a medium sized horn though which, once cleaned out with a bleach solution, will make a great drinking horn for neo-Druid rituals.

It was also great seeing a buffalo for the first time, and they were quite tame too, often coming right up to their perimeter fence.

So, nothing to report. But please keep me informed of any frauds coming my way or any activities you feel I should be concerned about and, providing they're not too far away, I'll try and get there and keep an eye on them.

Best wishes

Robin