Author Topic: Metis Nation Inc/USMetis.org  (Read 13841 times)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Metis Nation Inc/USMetis.org
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:27:09 am »
I'm not sure where to put this, but I just came across some really disturbing sites. This is one of them: http://www.usmetis.org/ Seems to be a bunch of non-Native people who think that as long as they have one Indian ancestor they can "Assert [their] Aboriginal rights as Native Americans."

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Metis Nation Inc/USMetis.org
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 02:18:20 pm »
Their site is listed as based in Rice Lake Wisconsin and they claim to be a 501c3.

And the group is tied to this bunch. Remember the kid who claimed to be a Lakota king?

--------------
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1910.25;wap2

oyatemakoce:
....Some Metis Nations which are our friends are:
...The Metis Nation, Inc. (whose leader is an honorary member of our nation)
---------------

ETA: Found this listing for them.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-55472518-metis-nation-incorporated-rice-lake
Metis Nation, Incorporated
(715) 719-0021
604 N Wisconsin Ave, Rice Lake, WI 54868

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 02:32:41 pm »
Tansi;

Although this person may have made friends with some Metis people, possibly even from Saskatchewan, I would challenge him to produce anything in writing, that shows that his "metis nation, inc." has been formally recognized by the Metis Nation, Saskatchewan (not Metis Nation of Saskatchewan).

I am sure that I would have heard if our Nation, which is under the Metis National Council, has formally supported any such group, who cannot show that they are Metis.

Having just looked at their website, I was chuckling when I saw that they describe themselves as "Metis Indians" which I found funny.  I am a Proud Metis person, not a Metis Indian.

Ric
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 06:47:37 pm by Ric_Richardson »

Offline Don Naconna

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 01:45:47 pm »
In Canada the Metis have a long history going back to the early fur trade when French "courier du bois" (traders) took Cree and Ojibwe wives. Their descendants are the Metis, they have a distinct language which is a mixture of French and Cree, they are Catholic, they live in their own communities and have a long tradition of independance. Louis Riel, one of Canada founding fathers, and martyr was a Metis. The Riel Rebellion was a turning point in Canadian history and led to the founding of the NWMP (now known as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
The word which is French for "mixed" doesn't apply to people with some aboriginal blood, its applies to a people with a unique heritage and history. The Metis are recognised by the government. These people in the states are phonies unless theyare Metis who immigrated to the states and lost their status. I have heard of a so called Metis group here who sell memberships on line. What does that sound like? Fraud...

nighthawk

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 07:04:19 am »
- removed by author -
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:11:08 am by nighthawk »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 07:39:08 pm »
There's all sorts of family (by patronym) and heritage groups abound, and many charge membership fees to belong to their (fill in the blank) Family Association. Paying money doesn't make you a family member, it only makes you a member of that association or corporation or whathaveyou. People are born into a family, it's an inherent right, which costs nothing other than to your family which has the responsiblity of raising you.

One doesn't have to pay money to associate with Metis people, that's for sure. But I don't see why people should be prohibited from joining a heritage group which may charge a fee to cover things like office expenses (if there's an office) and the website.

I don't think this is even a heritage group. I don't think they want to connect with legitimate Metis culture; it looks to me like they're about trying to redefine "Metis" to simply mean anyone with a miniscule bit of NDN ancestry. To me they seem primarily motivated to find a way to define white people as Native American, so they can claim whatever financial entitlements they can get. It doesn't even mention patronyms, just whether you can prove that somewhere, anywhere in your family tree there might be one Native person.

nighthawk

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 12:39:53 pm »
- removed by author -
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:03:58 am by nighthawk »

nighthawk

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 12:55:59 pm »
- removed by author -
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:03:10 am by nighthawk »

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 01:49:30 pm »
Tansi;
Nighthawk, you have stated that you do not believe that Louis Riel was one of the founding fathers of Canada.  Were you aware that Riel was duly elected as a Member of Parliament and that he authored the Manitoba Act, which brought Manitoba into Confederation?  There were many other achievements, by Riel, but bringing Manitoba into Confederation is enough to be considered a father of Confederation.
Ric

Offline Don Naconna

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 02:34:22 pm »
In Canada the Metis have a long history going back to the early fur trade when French "courier du bois" (traders) took Cree and Ojibwe wives. Their descendants are the Metis, they have a distinct language which is a mixture of French and Cree, they are Catholic, they live in their own communities and have a long tradition of independance. Louis Riel, one of Canada founding fathers, and martyr was a Metis. The Riel Rebellion was a turning point in Canadian history and led to the founding of the NWMP (now known as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
The word which is French for "mixed" doesn't apply to people with some aboriginal blood, its applies to a people with a unique heritage and history. The Metis are recognised by the government. These people in the states are phonies unless theyare Metis who immigrated to the states and lost their status. I have heard of a so called Metis group here who sell memberships on line. What does that sound like? Fraud...

Louis Riel is recognised as the founder of Manitoba responsible from bringing Manitoba into Confederation. That to Canadians makes him one of our founding fathers. Today he is not just a hero to the Metis but to all Canadians because of his efforts our country includes Manitoba. During the early days of Confederation we almost lost the West to US imperialism.

I don't agree with Louis Riel being one of "Canada"'s founding fathers, considering it was the Canadian government who hung him. I know they appropriated him retroactively, though, which started with Quebec appropriating him. Yet when he lived in Quebec he spent most of his time in a mental institution, he was not their "hero" they just claimed him to be retroactively and post-humously.

I don't think injustices of history are addressed properly by post-humously rewriting of history. When it comes to "Canada" now claiming Riel as a founder, I just find it disrespectful and offensive, considering how he was treated when alive.

There's all sorts of family (by patronym) and heritage groups abound, and many charge membership fees to belong to their (fill in the blank) Family Association. Paying money doesn't make you a family member, it only makes you a member of that association or corporation or whathaveyou. People are born into a family, it's an inherent right, which costs nothing other than to your family which has the responsiblity of raising you.

One doesn't have to pay money to associate with Metis people, that's for sure. But I don't see why people should be prohibited from joining a heritage group which may charge a fee to cover things like office expenses (if there's an office) and the website.

Offline Don Naconna

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 02:36:12 pm »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 07:42:11 pm »
I am offend that people who have no association with the Metis people
should take the name and make up who they are.

A metis are people with langauge, culture, relgion and way of life uniquly their
own.
In Spirit

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 02:51:10 am »
Tansi;
I just spent the whole afternoon with the President of the Metis Nation, Saskatchewan, and many local Metis people at a meeting, working on a developing a clear definition of who we are, as Metis people. 

Citizenship requirements, including extensive geneological records, have been adopted by the Metis Nation within the provinces of Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.  The Metis Nation, Saskatchewan has not formally adopted clear definitions about who we are, as yet, but we have been putting an enormous amount of work into it and expect the definition to be adopted at the next Metis Nation Legislative Assembly, in November.

The need for this has been around for some time, especially since there have been groups who have provided people who are not Metis with cards stating that they are Metis.  As with any other Aboriginal people, we have people who are quite aware of families and with geneological processes.  These help with identifying those who are Metis and those who are trying to obtain Aboriginal Rights, by posing as Metis.  In dealing with other governments, we must be able to provide accountability and by adopting a "Definition" that has very strict standards, we can move forward without having to keep explaining why there are others who claim to be Metis, while not having any connection to our Culture, History or Heritage.

Incidentally, the commonly (among the Metis National Council) understood areas that are considered the Metis Homelands extend from Ontario westward to British Columbia.
Ric

Ric

Offline mhmb-heart

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 03:07:54 pm »
Granted, I don't like when people appropriate other peoples' cultures, but there are people whose lineage is European and Indian or First Nations, and they are proud of it.  Some use the term "metis" to denote that, and, while I realize that the particular culture in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Alberta lays claim to the term, what do we call people whose blood is mixed, but who came from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or Quebec?  What are they?  I think we need a term that is respectful, that people can use to denote the pride they feel in their mixed heritage.  I also think that people of mixed heritage should stand together in that pride, regardless of blood quantum.  Respect is the most important thing, so if the primary Metis culture is offended by mixed bloods of other provinces or nations using the term, let's figure out what is appropriate.  After all, it wasn't just "coureurs du bois" who took native wives.  There were others, and the wives weren't all Ojibwe and Cree.  They were Mi'kmaq, Maliseet, Miami, Potawatami, Shawnee, etc.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 06:23:08 pm »
How about "mixed heritage"? Why does there need to be a new name?