Author Topic: Oxford, AL Mound  (Read 5088 times)

Offline GhostBear

Oxford, AL Mound
« on: July 09, 2009, 04:58:25 pm »
If this is in the wrong place please put in the correct forum.

A mound site in Oxford, AL is threatened by construction of a Sam's Club.  The Anniston Star has an article about the mound and construction: http://www.annistonstar.com/pages/full_story/push?article-State+laws+offer+few+protections+for+mound%20&id=2901863-State+laws+offer+few+protections+for+mound&instance=home_news

Offline BlackWolf

Re: Oxford, AL Mound
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:32:32 pm »
Thanks for the info GhostBear.  I wonder if the Creeks in Alabama are getting involved in trying to preserve it?

Offline GhostBear

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 12:59:53 pm »
I'm sure they are....it's all over the state now.  I've posted it to all my blogs and there was a Twitter protest along with a real protest on site over the weekend.  The WalMart "empire" can be defeated.  They stopped a proposed WalMart here where I am when it would have destroyed a very small cemetery that contained the remains of a Revolutionary War soldier.....they don't care what they destroy in their quest for more $$$.

Offline E.P. Grondine

• Man and Impact in the Americas
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:15:49 am »
This may sound off topic to some, but right on topic to others here. My favorite is when I was at an interstate visitor's center in Kentucky on my way to Big Bone Lick, and I heard the desk attendant tell a tourist that there hadn't been any Indians in Kentucky.

The last thing they steal is your history.