Author Topic: I think we're back up and running...  (Read 15212 times)

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
I think we're back up and running...
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:51:23 pm »
Howdy, folks!

Well after a few days of fussing and fighting with the SMF program, databases, data backups and a new hosting service, I think I've finally got it functioning.

Some features had to be reset and some settings will have to be changed to get it exactly like before, but the important part is all the members and all the previous posts seem to be here.

I should be able to fix whatever problems may exist. If you notice something that needs fixed please post about it in this thread.

Thanks everyone for your patience!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:35:59 am by Pat »

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
Re: I think we're back up and running...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:47:37 pm »
every post is showing up as new!!!

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 04:38:28 pm »
Yeah, that setting was in a database table that couldn't be imported. Believe me I tried - several times - to get everything imported, but that table kept making this forum "break". It's kind of a long story. I mean, I could have kept on fussing with it for another 3-4 days if I had the time which I don't, and made it all 100% like it was. But it was too long for the site to be down and I made a trade-off. Sorry  :'(

The failures were due to lack of understanding, not just mine but the people I tried to consult, who have been doing this kind of thing much longer than I have. None of them had an answer for me. It was trial-and-error guesswork that finally did the trick.

Part of the problem (which is actually a blessing in many ways) is that the server we're on now is somewhat "overhardened" in regard to security. That's coz it gets attacked alot, coz it's hosting sites that some folks would really like to see disappear - like this one. So a lot of the usual fixes I attempted were "seen" by the server as hacking attempts, and it shut me out.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:07:19 am by Pat »

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:47:59 pm »
No prob, Pat. I really appreciate the time you're putting into this.

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 03:39:09 am »
Actually I think it's probably something I need to adjust in either the database or the forum software. I'll try to figure it out soon. As a last resort I can ask the hosting provider also.

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
I found a problem
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:44:56 am »
Looks like either some attachments are missing or they aren't where they're supposed to be. I got this from the forum error log. If you've tried to open any attachments here lately you probably got a page that said "404 - Attachment Not Found". I'll try to fix this right away.

ETA: All the attachments are back, there will be no more of "404 - Attachment Not Found".

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 04:02:21 am by Pat »

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:20:47 pm »
In the past few days I will sometimes get a screen saying account has been suspended, from first amendment.org, when I try to come here - what is happening?

Offline wolfhawaii

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 02:32:27 pm »
Yes, I got that 1st Amendment.org screen last night each time I tried to log in here....did we get hacked?

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 04:21:28 pm »
We were not hacked. The hosting company received a false claim of copyright infringement and shut us down without due process. We are fighting this. It may happen again. Some of the folks we expose here are doing their best to find a way to shut us down.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 06:53:57 pm »
I am so happy we are back
In Spirit

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: Quoting, Linking and Fair Use
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 09:10:02 pm »
The hosting company received a false claim of copyright infringement and shut us down without due process.

Could we post some good guidelines on fair use limitations and pin it somewhere on the forum?

I wouldn't want the site to get shut down because someone accidentally copied and pasted too much from someone's site and an admin didn't get around to editing the post before it was reported. Fair use allows for a significant amount to be copied and pasted, "for review purposes," as long as the copyright holder is indicated.

However, I'm not up on exactly what the current limit is on how much one can quote. I will do some research if I have time, but as it is, I always try to err to the conservative side, only quoting "review length" quotes - a paragraph or so - fully credited, with a link to the original site for readers to see the rest of the information. Photos... again, I *think* you can post a linked photo, especially if it's a photo that's being used on a commercial website for promotional purposes and the source is clearly indicated, but I'm not clear on the limitations thereof.

frederica

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 12:49:15 am »
Well, here is one, but I have seen 20% use also.  http://www.umuc.edu/library/copy.shtml#whatis

frederica

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 03:49:54 am »
And here is the one on Cyberstalking which ties to Idenity Theft.  It varies with the State how all inclusive it is.   http://ul451.gsu.edu/lawand/papers/fa01/hunter/#occur2

Offline tachia

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 09:40:58 pm »
so am i .. happy that were back!