Author Topic: "Indian Chief" in Sweden goes to court  (Read 26889 times)

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

Re: "Indian Chief" in Sweden goes to cou
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2005, 03:08:20 pm »
I also have been turning ol Harley the perv in to the groups that expose fake veterans.

Have you been in touch with the 1st Marine Division Association?

http://www.1stmarinedivisionassociation.org/

His dojo website claims that he was a

GNY/SGT E-7 Former Marine Corps Veteran, 1ST MARDIV

http://www.ten-no-kishi.com/

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2005, 04:56:42 pm »
Sometimes I think he goes out of his way to deliberately tell obvious lies. It helps him filter out people with brains so he can get the really gullible ones for his cult.

Gunnery Sgt is not an easy rank to get. I knew a Gunny Sgt who took 20 years to become one, and anything less than 10 is near impossible. And he's claiming to have been in the USMC doing Black Ops, been in the Olympics, AND been in prison, all during the 60s.

You might put the expose fake vets sites in contact with the NRA crowd Harley hangs with. Being rejected by them might hurt him more than anything else.

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 05:54:45 pm »
Gunnery Sgt is not an easy rank to get. I knew a Gunny Sgt who took 20 years to become one, and anything less than 10 is near impossible. And he's claiming to have been in the USMC doing Black Ops, been in the Olympics, AND been in prison, all during the 60s.

He reckons he was only in the service for 10 years and was discharged after surviving a 300 foot fall from a helicopter!

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/issues/2002-06-13/news/feature_print.html

Offline ironhead

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 09:09:07 pm »
It is amazing to me. What I read here in just two days. Who ever would have thought that Europeans would hijack the story of the American Indian, and turn it into a sordid money makeing power grab over simple people, people who obviously should know better. (too bad for them)
It is clear to me that these are professenal criminals, who should be rounded up, and prosecuted. Then jailed. Folks, now I always knew that the native had a hard time in this life. BUT, I never in my wildest dreams thought it was so bad like this.

Offline vikinglady

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 07:12:48 am »
Just got back from a gathering up north - I wasn´t aware of it beforehand, but I ended up in the village where this so called "Indian Chief" had been operating.

I was told that there had been loads of women involved, many of them under the age of 18. It seemed like the whole village and the vicinity had been in the hands of this man! I spoke to one of his followers who *still* worshipped him and gave me many evil looks when I talked about the selling of ceremonies and exploiters.

The guy himself is in prison now - thank God. It turned out he wasn´t Native at all but a white guy posing as Native. He has changed his story from that sex is a part of Native ceremonies, to that he studied shamanism and learned how to put a spell on other people, which he practiced with great success. He says these women are still under his spell and he won´t let them go unless they release him from prison. (!)

Geeez....this just shows you how dangerous this is in the hand of the wrong people. (And most of them *are* wrong...)

Offline vikinglady

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2005, 09:05:12 am »
New article in the paper about this case: "The Shaman" has got himself the best lawyer in Sweden (must have made a fortune on faked ceremonies because that guy does not come cheap!!) who is now set on getting him out of prison.

What he says is basically that it´s the women´s fault that this happened since they believed in him. Also, it took too long time for the victims to come forward (and why is that?!) No crime has been committed, he says. He is a shaman and so he has been asked to heal people and he has just tried to do his job!

My blood is boiling right now.   11 women have testified that he raped them but "no crime has been committed?!"

And it just boils down to the old issue - rape is something that should be blamed on the women.
If this creep goes free in spite of him having molested women AND children, it leaves it open for all these other plastics to do basically whatever they want!  And they will have made sure that no victim - ever - will come forward again.

:((((

Annika

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 01:56:38 pm »
Is there a way to get in touch with the prosecutor, what in the US is called a district attorney's office? I'd be glad to testify that what he does is in no way shape or form anywhere close to any form of "shamanism" anywhere. The guy's Argentinian and not even Native like he claims, right? This seems like a defense that wouldn't even be allowed in court in the US. I'm sure there must be a way for me to give videotaped testimony and not even need to travel. And do you have an email for the reporter?

Offline vikinglady

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2005, 03:30:56 pm »
I´ve been trying to find as much as I can, the people up in Dalarna said he was not Native but the newspapers claim that his father was a Native shaman from Argentina.

It seems like the courthearings finished a few days ago, they´re just waiting for the verdict now.
Some of the stuff in the papers are outrageous:
he told a woman she had been a prositute in her past life and the only way to be "cleaned" was to have sex with him. He claimed traditional Indian healing was focused on the "love-spots", which meant to touch the genitals and insert a finger in the woman´s vagina (many more details here but I´ll save you all from hearing them!)

He even claims this is a form of management training!! Geez, now he is really offending ME!

There are also a lot of things written about Native Americans and shamanism which is totally wrong. I think, Al, if you would just write an article to the newspapers, it would be the best thing.

mats.larsson@daladem.se
dt.red@daltid.se

These are local papers in the province of Dalarna - where you had your lecture! - and have covered this all along. I have to say though, no shadow to fall on the reporters. They have been totally neutral and just reported what was said.

I know who the prosecutor is, Ulf Edsberg - really great guy!  I guess there is not much he can do now although I am sure he would have appreciated a supportive email from you. I can´t find his address anywhere. (Understandable....) Maybe if you asked the newspapers to forward something to him?

Annika

Offline vikinglady

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 03:55:22 pm »
I just want to give a whole bunch of roses to Ann-Charlotte Runnvik, a lady in academia who wrote a wonderful article which was sent to me.  I don´t know when it was published and in what paper unfortunately. The heading was "Raindance in the courtroom?" so I got rather worried - until I read the story.

She is extremely critical to the way Native Americans have been portrayed. Quote: "This courtcase must be the lowest of low, the arguments are extremely offensive towards people from religious, cultural and ethnical minorities who will now be judged based on these facts!" and "The Defense is trying with "the noble savage": the guy just tried to help and did what any Indian healer would have done. Well, first there is not ONE Indian culture and there is not ONE way of practicing healing." Finally: "I want to bang on the locked doors (the hearing has been closed) and tell them to put the responsibility for this where it belongs and for God´s sake, do NOT bring out the stinking "Indian peacepipe!"

She goes on writing about the victims and their feelings, it is such an excellent article. I think I will frame it!

THANKS Ann-Charlotte!
Annika

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 10:05:42 pm »
My letter to the papers:

Phony "Indian Shaman" Rapist Blaming Victims
To: mats.larsson@daladem.se, dt.red@daltid.se

Dear Sirs,
I'm writing to you to express my concerns about the trial of a phony "Indian shaman" and the appalling defense strategy of pandering to racist stereotypes of Natives and promoting one ignorant misconception after another. You may remember me from when I gave a lecture at the museum in Dalarna only a few months ago. I certainly recall your thoughtful coverage of my visit, and only wish you had thought to consult actual Natives to debunk the dubious claims of this serial rapist and fraud now on trial.

As an American Indian (Mescalero Apache) and a professor of Native history, it is apparent to me that this "Indian shaman" is neither Indian nor any kind of a medicine man or elder. His claims, and that of his defense attorney, are transparently false and playing upon the lack of knowledge that most Swedes have when it comes to Native cultures.

Were he to make such claims or his attorney mount such a defense in the US, Canada, or Latin America, he would be laughed out of court. No judge would allow such obvious falsehoods, and no American attorney would be foolish enough to base his strategy on these stereotypes.

1) As far as I know, he has never said what tribal nation he claims, instead simply saying he is "Indian." There is not one Native culture, there are several thousand in the Americas, with over five hundred in the US alone.

2) No Native traditions involve sex as part of a ceremony.

3) No Native tribes would allow the abuse of women on such a scale as he has practiced. Most Native traditions are matrilineal and matrilocal. The women are heads of households. Descent is traced through the mother, not the father. Virtually all encourage respect for women, and women hold high positions of respect. In some traditions, only the women may vote in some councils, while men cannot.

4) No Native tribe would have him as an elder or medicine man. In some traditions he would have been executed as a rapist. Others might have gone easier on him by just exiling him.  You see, many Native traditions are much stricter on sexual matters than Europeans. Not only would sexual abuse not be tolerated, even adultery is strongly frowned upon. Such a person would be regarded as too frivolous to be trusted with medicine traditions.

5) His claims that he is using Native medicine traditions to control women sexually are especially offensive because they play upon old racist stereotypes of Natives as oversexed rapists. In many traditions a healer who tried to use his abilities for evil purposes would be exiled or even killed.

While the Swedish media cannot be blamed for their lack of knowledge of Native traditions and peoples, certainly it should have occurred to all of you to ask actual Natives about this "shaman" and his claims?

At the very least, why didn't you go to anthropologists at your universities?

Instead, millions of Swedes have been given the words of a serial rapist and racist imposter to define what Native people are really like, uncontested and with no rebuttals.
Dr. Al Carroll (Mescalero Apache)
Social & Behavioral Sciences Dept.
St. Phillip's College
San Antonio, TX, USA

Offline vikinglady

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2005, 08:28:06 am »
*Great writing, Al!*   :)

I´ll ask my friends up in Dalarna to keep their eyes open to see if the papers print it or at least respond to it.

Annika

Offline vikinglady

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2005, 09:15:32 am »
Yesssssss!!   ;D

The "Indian Chief" got 7 years in prison and has to pay 10.000 USD to the victims...:)

I have had som emails from people who have been listening to your lectures, Al, and/or read our book. They have written to the newspapers asking "how the hell they can write all these lies about Native Americans?"  Seems like a lot of good people in Sweden have woken up!  

Annika

Offline vikinglady

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 09:41:15 am »
The district attorney of the "Indian Chief" has handed in a petition to the Supreme Court for a new trial. It was denied. He will serve his years in prison and pay the fine.

They also said that since this court case was the first of its kind it will create a precedant for any similar case in the future.

There *is* justice out there...:)

Annika

Offline chiefytiger

Re: "Indian Chief" in Sweden goes to court
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 05:34:57 pm »
Aho ,I was just goin thru the post's and saw ts going on there in Sweden, Glad that this so called human finally got caught,But whats interesting is that why hasnt any of the swedish ppl stop Michael (graywolf ) Garvin .I know that he has a huge following in Swedan and Norway ,  Sure wish ppls werent so blind and nieave ,But would be interested in this guy as well ,Lets stop all the frauds that go abroad to create havoic ,
Chiefy Tiger