Author Topic: Alerting our brothers and sisters of poor teachers  (Read 6018 times)

Offline whiteduckwoman

Alerting our brothers and sisters of poor teachers
« on: June 30, 2008, 08:47:57 pm »
Kwey Brothers and Sisters,

How does one respectfully, with humility without offending our friend,
draw their attention to a teacher who is not following traditional ways and charging money which is exorbitant?

Or  a teacher who is soliciting for other students and asking for large sums of money per student to enroll in a class on the medicine wheel for example?

I have such a friend.  I consider it a duty to inform, and yet, I recognize that we each walk our own path.  How do I do this without damaging our friendship, or challenging my friend's judgment in his/her choice of teacher?

When do we ourselves cross the line and become judgmental in our opinions of these teachers?  That too is a pitfall. 
I sense that I must safeguard myself from judgment of my friend's choice and also of the teacher to retain my own integrity....and yet, I have an obligation to speak the truth.

Has anyone done this in a way which has enlightened and uplifted the friend?  I would enjoy learning any of your tips.

Offline Kevin

Re: Alerting our brothers and sisters of poor teachers
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:24:01 am »
I  am not  friends with crooks. No friendship can be based on lies and deceit. It seems to me you can just end what you thought was a friendship or you can confront them and end the friendship. It always boils down to action we must take ourselves to go with a positive flow or be hooked into negative things and remain mired.

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »
When do we ourselves cross the line and become judgmental in our opinions of these teachers?  That too is a pitfall.

Is it? We all make judgments every day in all kinds of situations: crossing a road, whether those eggs at the back of the fridge are still edible, etc. Failing to make a judgment may result in people we care about, including ourselves, getting hurt.

I sense that I must safeguard myself from judgment of my friend's choice and also of the teacher to retain my own integrity....and yet, I have an obligation to speak the truth.

If this friend of yours was getting romantically involved with someone you knew to be violent, you wouldn't be so hesitant, I'm sure. It seems to me you are worried about losing this friendship. If you speak the truth, that may happen: there may be no way to avoid it but it may only be temporary.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 01:31:43 am »
*shrugs* I've lost "friendships" after finding out someone I trusted was an exploiter. Multiple times. Multiple exploiters, multiple "friends". The thing is, I would have never given my trust, support or friendship to the exploiters in the first place, had I known what they were really up to. Similarly, I would not have been friends with their supporters had I known they would look the other way when informed of such abuse.

It's sad to lose people... but supporting frauds, liars and racists is simply not an option for me if I want to keep my soul intact. The realizations hurt, but having a clear conscience is better.