Author Topic: Right to wear Eagle Feathers Denied  (Read 7799 times)

Offline Tsisqua

• Native American Unity ~ NAU
Right to wear Eagle Feathers Denied
« on: May 23, 2008, 06:11:57 pm »
McClatchy Regional News

Corey Bird has called on Lumbee leaders to persuade Robeson County school officials to allow him to wear his eagle feathers during graduation.

Bird wants to display the feathers in honor of his late grandfather and mother but was told this week he could not wear the feathers on his graduation gown. He said he also wants to wear the feathers for their cultural and spiritual significance.

Most Native American tribes attach special significance to the eagle and its feathers. To be given an eagle feather is the highest honor that can be awarded within Indian cultures.

If Bird wears the feathers, he could be pulled out of the graduation line during the ceremony June 13, he said.

''This is very important to me. It is kind of like an honor to wear the feathers and walk across the stage," he said. "It means a lot because it is in remembrance of my mother and grandfather."

Bird and his father, Samuel Bird, asked the Lumbee Tribal Council on Thursday for its help. Council member Ray Littleturtle suggested the council contact the school and the school board. He said it is an inherited right for American Indians to be allowed to wear eagle feathers.

''This is a disgrace," he said.

Corey Bird, 18, said he informed Purnell Swett High School Principal Antonio Wilkins three months ago of his intention to wear the feathers. Wilkins told him at that time he could not wear them on his cap but he could wear them on his gown, Bird said.

During a senior meeting Tuesday, Bird was told that he could not wear the feathers because a school policy prohibits the wearing of messages, signs, markings, stringers and ribbons on caps and gowns. Students who violate the rule can be removed from the graduation line and not allowed to walk across the stage.

''Native Americans have fought for their rights," Corey Bird said. "He's Native American but won't allow this."

Wilkins is a Lumbee Indian.

Based on the advice of the school system's lawyer, wearing the eagle feather is not allowed, Superintendent Johnny Hunt said.

''You cannot wear any other kind of garment or material on your graduation robe or your cap," he said. "If you start allowing things to be worn, it would set a precedent that would allow whatever group or organization to wear whatever and it could cause disruption during the ceremony."

There are more than 10,000 American Indian students enrolled in Robeson County public schools.

Samuel Bird, who is Lumbee and Sisseton-Wahpeton Sioux Indian of South Dakota, said the feathers were handed down to his son. Samuel Bird contacted the Native American Rights Fund but was told there was nothing legally he could do. That is why they came to the council, he said.

''They can't deny my son the opportunity to walk across the stage," Samuel Bird said. "He has worked for it for 12 years."

The Tribal Council voted to pass a resolution of support to allow Corey Bird and his cousin Olivia to wear the feathers during graduation.

There are no leaders in Unity

Offline outershell

Re: Right to wear Eagle Feathers Denied
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 02:13:02 am »
but he could wear them on his gown, Bird said.

what's wrong with wearing them on the gown then?
it may seem like an insult, but i can understand the rule.
Every other student will want to wear this and that and make a mockery out of it all.

those on the edge, can protect the center

Offline Ganieda

• Chaos, panic and disorder, my work here is done.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:48:29 pm »
Personally, I see nothing wrong with the wearing of the feathers - except that it is against the school policy.  Perhaps the school needs to look at that policy and amend it to allow every student to add one "something significant" and perhaps limiting the size would be a good idea. 
*May the Sun warm your Heart, The Moon light your Path and Sacred Mother Earth embrace and protect you always.*

Offline porkypine

• Fort Hall, ID
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 07:42:14 pm »
It's a shame that they lump something of significance with another persons stupid 'party' ideas.  They're afraid that if they let someone wear an eagle feather, that the other guys will start shouting about and wanting to wear ridiculous things like one of those beer hats with the tube straws or a brick and mortar on their 'mortar-boards'.

To avoid the whole issue, they deny everyone.
Get used to it... I CAN NOT type worth a darn.. lol

Offline NanticokePiney

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 01:40:32 am »
but he could wear them on his gown, Bird said.

what's wrong with wearing them on the gown then?
it may seem like an insult, but i can understand the rule.
Every other student will want to wear this and that and make a mockery out of it all.

I was at a graduation at Cumberland Regional High School. They had all kinds of stupid garbage hanging off of their hats. I can't understand the rule when they try to apply it to something that actually has meaning.

frederica

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 01:47:03 am »
I thought I heard he could were them.  Sometimes their dress codes go a little too far and are silly, as they make them blanket and that always doesn't work well.