Author Topic: Sami protest  (Read 4149 times)

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
Sami protest
« on: March 08, 2008, 09:17:50 pm »
We had a big music event here tonight, being broadcasted on the main TV Channel. It is like a competition and the big Swedish super-mega-star was the favourite. The event was held far up in the North. In Sami country.

So in flies this super-mega-star and steps out of the plane dressed up in a hat from a Sami outfit! (A hat worn by married Sami men...). "It was just for fun!" she said, not for a minute expecting the massive protests from the Samis. It gave headlines today and even the Sami Grand Council protested. Quote: "It¨s like if I went to the US and visited a reservation dressed in a headdress! Terrible!"

Well, it was on the front page of the newspapers even down here in the south. Just for one hat - but the wrong hat. Many Samis refused to give her their vote. She came last in the competition.  (What goes around comes around...) 

http://www.gt.se/noje/1.1077002/hotas-av-rostbojkott

PS Ewwwwwwh, I just read the comments to the above incident - the Sami hatred in Sweden suddenly got a face!! "Don´t they understand that she just wanted to honour them!"  Heard that one before? "At least Native Americans have humour, they wouldn´t mind us coming to a reservation in a headdress"  Rrrrrright..... Plus hundreds of other comments expressing their disgust of the Samis.... 

This suddenly turned very ugly :( :(

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:53:13 pm by Freija »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Sami protest
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 12:37:38 pm »
Obviously they've never been to a rez or any other NDN community. If a white guy were to show up in a feathered headdress, he'd never live down all the jokes he'd get. So they're only half right about the humor part.

Don't know why they would claim Samis have no sense of humor. A Sami elder that I met over there, Magda, told many wonderfully funny stories. Even though they had to be translated for me, it reminded me so much of elders over here who teach using humor.