Author Topic: Howard Lawler  (Read 63432 times)

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

Howard Lawler
« on: February 17, 2005, 10:18:59 pm »
White guy selling hallucinogenic-plant experiences in Peru under the rubric of 'core-shamanism':

http://www.biopark.org/peru/team.html

Recently featured on the UK's Channel 4 'reality TV' show 'Extreme Celebrity Detox'. I'm not making this up:

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/C/celebritydetox/

I can't wait for the follow-up programme: 'Extreme Celebrity Drug-Induced Psychotic Breakdown'. Okay, I made that one up.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Howard Lawler
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 03:21:32 pm »
Lawler's credentials look impressive. At one time he used to do some good work as an environmentalist.

The credentials seem a lot less impressive when you notice one thing: the only degree he ever had was a BA more than 35 years ago. I wouldn't trust his knowledge about plants based on that.

Lawler does make a show of concern for safety for the tourists. After page after page of the hard sell and all kinds of mystical come-ons, he slips in a disclaimer, a warning against people precisely like him. A lot like Manataka, he's warning against frauds so as not to appear a fraud.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 03:27:40 pm »
The warning from one of Lawler's people:

http://www.biopark.org/peru/shamanrisks.html
Beware Charlatans, Deception, and Scam
The realm of shamanism in the Peruvian Amazon is frought with risks and dangers for the newly arrived traveler.
True shamans traditionally-trained in pure spiritual and plant healing are hard to find and rarely advertise their services to tourists. This is because one of the hallmarks of the classic shaman or curandero is their practice of healing and spiritual work within their own communities. On the other hand, most are open and receptive to anyone who comes to them with respect. It should also be understood that shamans and curanderos are professionals, make their living by performing healing and mystical services. They are therefore entitled to fair compensation for their services. The best guideline to follow is "value given for value received according to your means".

Authentic practitioners generally cannot be contacted through common tourist channels such as commercial lodges, motokar drivers, or street hustlers operating in tourist zones. Those contacted in this manner often cannot be trusted.  More than a few western travelers have found their wallets emptied by "spirit hands" in the darkness of an Ayahuasca ceremony. Female participants, especially 'gringas', are sometimes sexually molested or seduced under the guise of "treatment" by inscrupulous "shamans".  Sexual misconduct is the most common deviation of shamanic principles,  most often perpetrated by younger men purporting to be shamans but lacking the integrity borne of sacrifice, maturity, and wisdom.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 03:28:16 pm »
Pt 2 of the warning:

Beware of commercial lodges offering "ayahuasca ceremonies". Most do so as a novel entertainment, with no attention to proper preparation or follow up in this delicate and serious process. This is both irresponsible and dangerous. To make matters worse, few lodge operators have ever drank Ayahuasca themselves! One should never be guided into Ayahuasca ceremonies by one unwilling to drink it with you.  This is a simple and logical test of integrity.
Commercial lodges rarely employ credible shamans who know how to make and administer good Ayahuasca.  In such cases, the traveler is exposed to risk of ineffective or even dangerous Ayahuasca. Without witnessing the making and some knowledge of the maker, one never knows for sure what is in the brew. Fatalities and prolonged psychological disturbance have occurred as a result of such casual encounter.
Ayahuasca is costly and time consuming (8-12 hours) to prepare correctly using the old traditional wood fire. Everyone knows the components but very few know the more subtle techniques to make high quality Ayahuasca. Furthermore, there is a broad range of quality among ayahuasca vine and chacruna leaf . These plants are now in high demand and demand is growing. The fact is, much old dry ayahuasca and weak or placebo 'chacruna' is purveyed. Only a few shamans and ethnobotanists can distinguish among types of chacruna by the leaves alone.
Careful selection of the plant constituents and detailed knowledge of the preparation process are essential to the production of high quality Ayahuasca. Most commercial enterprises offering 'ayahuasca ceremonies' as part of a entertainment tourist agenda lack the knowledge and commitment to these issues.

Brujeria - Black and Red Witchcraft
Yet another significant risk exists for the newcomer. This is the possibility of exposure to evil witchcraft, locally known as 'brujeria' or 'rojo'. This risk is very serious because brujos (evil shamans) are capable of causing great mental, physical or spiritual harm to the individual as a means of seduction, theft, scam, or even murder. They may do this for their own personal gain or for hire.

Brujos use spells and potions to gain control of their victims. This commonly produces radical, irrational, often self-destructive behavior by the victim which they perceive to be normal.
Brujos often use love magic (puzangeria) to produce the illusion of love to gain control of a victim for sex, money, or material gain. This is usually accomplished by secretly putting a 'love potion' (puzanga, a blend of rainforest plants) in the food or drink of the victim to aid hypnosis to gain control the emotions and thoughts of the victim.
Such matter-of-fact reference to witchcraft and spells may be met with some skeptism by the western mind. It is nevertheless a day-to-day reality in Amazonian culture and cannot be dismissed lightly. In the Peruvian Amazon, modern western cultural realities are largely absent. Here, much older realities prevail, and belief in the reality of both 'blancura' spiritual healing and 'rojo' black witchcraft are very strong indeed.

Trust and Confidence
Positive and constructive work with Ayahuasca requires a high level of trust among those involved. Quick attainment of trust and respect for the shamans and facilitators is essential to successful work. It is therefore vitally important to work with shamans who are positive, knowledgeable, skilled, ethical, and above moral reproach. The seeker must first ascertain if the shaman is indeed genuine, and if so, if he or she is a curandero or a brujo. One is not a "shaman" simply because they serve ayahuasca and sing a song or two in the dark. Knowledge of the character and reputation of the shaman is necessary in order to avoid misguidance, deceit, and disappointment.
A certain amount of fear and apprehension naturally accompanies an Ayahuasca initiation. These are amplified if the shamans are not fully trusted. Competent, experienced, and trusted facilitation is the safest and surest way to make the connection and move quickly into the constructive processes.

Offline A.H.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 01:00:32 pm »
I know about the problems associated with exploiting the traditional medicine and culture and especially those substances that can alter conciousness substantially.

But this is something we lost in the West when "the witches" were burned in the Middle ages...

I cannot embrace western rationality with open arms, but I shall open a subject to start a debate about that in more detail elsewere.

I just want to ask a question regarding this man's organisation - it looks fraudelnt and honest at the same time. I actually contacted them expressing great doubt and interest at the same time and his reply email was very warm and explanatory...

So I just want to ask - did anyone do any research on them? Gathered first-hand experiences from some participants - or did an interview with them?

Judging people and organisations just upon their web based material - especially when it cannot be interpreted as fraud only - can be misleading and unfair also.

Can you provide any more information about this organisation and prove they are not worthy?

thank you

Leonard

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 08:11:24 pm »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:22:53 pm »
Oh my another drug addict
In Spirit

Leonard

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 08:42:36 pm »
yes - a lot 'out here' or claiming to seek 'Him' - just look in your local 'news-papers' at the local pharmacy robbery - I am sure that 'God' and 'truth' will show up somewhere in the 'police report' (probably 'oxycontin')  - not the 'absolute truth' just an observation.

Leonard.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 08:50:25 pm »
'Extreme Celebrity Drug-Induced Psychotic Breakdown'.

Heeee!

Offline A.H.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 09:19:38 pm »
Wov! 

Please - try to read more precisely and with open mind.

best to all

Leonard

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:43:35 pm by Leonard »

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 09:40:18 pm »
From the first post;

White guy selling hallucinogenic-plant experiences in Peru under the rubric of 'core-shamanism':

AH, I posted this in another thread but it should answer your question
http://www.amazonteam.org/umiyac-declaration.html

AH
Please - try to read more precisely and with open mind.
A.H.
As Earth and I have told you , most Native traditions do not accept the use of drugs or alcohol and in fact these have cause a huge amount of damage to Native communities.  Native people do not need to have an open mind towards something that is foriegn to their own traditions and has done so much damage.

Offline A.H.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 10:32:52 am »
You helped me rethink some ideas but I am still searching. I belive in the openess of communication and exchanging the information and ideas. That can be cleansing an really healing. Fighting on separate sides just causes more damage.

I gained some direct information from the accused man that's why I'll post the final part of my correspondence with this man. Maybe he will answer himself if he thinks there is a need to do so.

Judging too fast is also dangerous and unfair. Your hurt should not make you hurt other people too easyly. Also "white-men" are not some amorphous homogen mass - so called western civilization is comprised of many cultures - we have suffered our wars, cultural appropriation and injustices as well... (I come from one of the smaller nations in Europe - we are 2 million only - not one of the big colonialist ones - but this is not so important)

Peace & understanding to all  (new age, huh?)

::::::::::  contacting and checking Mr.Howard Lawler in person // from email correspondence  :::::::::::::

Dear Howard,

thank you for your very kind and extensive reply. I am much in doubts about many things concerning spiritual path and use of entheogens. It seems very powerful and reasonable to use them, but there are just too many false and fake activities going on around that.
I can believe you have the best intentions however I did some more internet research and came across this site ( http://www.newagefraud.org/ ) and obviously indigenous people are somewhat offended by such enterprises. Especially when I read this: http://www.amazonteam.org/umiyac-declaration.html

That site also noticed you personally - I actually replyed with question to that post - partly enquireing, partly defending upon what I read from you: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=145.0

They are quite remote from my mindset (and I from theirs) and obviously they fight different battles - but they have very little approval of entheogen use - esp. under the term "shamanism"... They made some good points to think about. They are mostly North American indigenous people and I can understand their rage after all the injustice that has been done to them... and most of their people don't have a tradition of using entheogen plants so they somehow adopted the common N.American anti-drug agenda...

Maybe if you feel offended and it seems useful to answer them and clear your intentions you can, but be prepared for fierce antagonists. So you should provide them some valid facts and genuine proof about fairness of your operations. I just notify you they think you're fraud. I still don't, but since the indigenous are so defensive I will focus my intentions on something else. I'll seek answers in some other way.

Also - your programme looks sincere and worthy, but is a little too expensive - I understand its exclusiveness and good preparations, lodging, food, and fair payment for all that invest their time, but somehow I expected the figure for 7 days (the ones without traveling around) not to exceed 1000$.

I hope I haven't offended you - it was not my intention.

best regards,
                    Andrej

P.S. I will post your answer and my answer there - anyhow - I belive in openess of communication and if something is good it should be recognized as such and if it is really bad it should be judged as such. And if it comes out that we just have different goals and ideas that are both valid for us - we go separate ways.

Otorongo Blanco wrote:

> Dear Andrej,

> Thanks very much for your very nice introduction and interest in our Ayahuasca SpiritQuest Listening to the Plants shamanic healing retreats and Huachuma mesa journeys.  I'm sorry to say I did not receive your first e-mail to which you refer.  I am always prompt in response and appreciate that you tried again.  First, let me tell you a bit more about us, our philosophy, and our work ...

> Ayahuasca SpiritQuest Listening to the Plants is our keystone program in the Peruvian Amazon.  It is a genuine shamanic healing retreat intended to facilitate quick and deep immersion in the ancient shamanic spiritualism of the western Amazon.   We conduct our works in a relaxed yet focused manner which requires serious preparation by everyone attending, with clear intent and positive goals in mind.

> Our work is dedicated exclusively to holistic healing and spiritual realization through a series of seriously focused and guided ceremonial experiences in true core Peruvian sacred plant shamanism.  The ceremonies are surrounded by multidimensional activities designed to help you integrate these deep experiences into your daily life.  It is an intense, accelerated, highly charged course in the principles and practice of ancient core shamanism in the Amazon, the Andes, and the northern coast of Perú.

> We are discriminating in whom we accept for participation in our work.  We don't do "tours" nor is our purpose to entertain.  Our work is not for casual tourists looking for a novel vacation, nor is it "ayahuasca tourism" for the seeker of experience for it's own sake.  Instead we specialize in facilitating real core traditional shamanic healing and spiritual growth work which is fundamentally results-oriented rather than solely experience-centered.  The positive and enduring benefits of these deep experiences in your life are what matter most.  We therefore wish to invest our time and energy with those individuals who have such important motives in mind.  Appropriate advance preparation is essential to realize the best results and we will assist you in this regard.

> Because of the delicate nature of our activities, we have an application screening procedure to help assure your safety and compatibility with our focus and activities.   I will forward our application questionnaire in a separate e-mail when you confirm your desire to join in our work.

> A separate application is required for each person attending.  Return your fully-completed questionnaire to me by e-mail a soon as possible.  I'll confirm your acceptance and send our Acceptance of Terms Agreement.  This document must be printed, signed and notarized.  Please read and understand it carefully with special attention to the "Terms of Participation" section. Spaces are available on a first-come open-enrollment basis pending acceptance of your application. 

> You'll find our full 2008 Calendar of Events at http://www.biopark.org/peru/schedule.html.

> Our Ayahuasca SpiritQuest retreats and Ancient Shamanic Knowledge Huachuma mesa works in the Amazon are limited to a maximum of twenty-four participants to assure comfort and attention to personal needs.  Our usual group size averages 10-14 but we conduct our scheduled works no matter how few may be in attendance.

> Our venue is the spiritually-inspired SpiritQuest Shamanic Sanctuary, an extraordinary rainforest ceremonial retreat center exclusively dedicated to holistic healing and higher consciousness.  It is located on a private 250-acre old-growth Amazonian rainforest reserve teeming with medicinal and other useful plants, diverse wildlife, and the legendary spirits of the Amazon.  The SSS is the perfect place to encounter deep healing and spiritual realization through communion with the sacred plants and impeccable company in intimate contact with nature and cosmos.  Incorporating the ancient sacred geometry of the circle and the pyramid, the ceremonial maloca is itself a vehicle of higher consciousness.  Here, spiritual love, compassion, and natural beauty combining to produce the perfect ambience for deep personal shamanic healing and spiritual realization.

> Our message speaks from the heart and from ancient wisdom which we readily share with those who can come honest and sincere with themselves and others.  We are for real and expect you to be also.  Our work stands apart from all the others in the depth of our experience and knowledge in the practice of core shamanism, our impeccable integrity, disciplined training, and sincere intention to help others realize the highest potential of this work.  There is much more to this than what's in the cup, and we'll help you realize it in ways few can.  Our work always emphasizes quality over quantity and is designed and intended for the sophisticated seeker of shamanic healing transformation.  Your cup will runneth over here.

> Don Rober Acho Jarama is the incredible maestro ayahuasquero with whom we conduct our Ayahuasca work.  Don Rober is a marvelously gifted native healer of  integrity possessing rich knowledge of ancient jungle medicine stemming from over over 50 years of experience in traditional shamanic plant spirit healing. 

> Don Rober is a genuine banco ayahuasquero, accomplished at the highest level of the art.  He is a consummate shamanic ceremonialist who will leave you in awe after each ceremony.  You will find him to be a wonderful, humble, and truly gifted human being wholly dedicated to healing in the pure Amazon shamanic tradition.   Don Rober is truly a classic maestro ayahuasquero of the oldest and highest order.
> You'll find more about him at http://www.biopark.org/peru/maestros.html

> I have practiced traditional core shamanism for over 40 years, and over that time have initiated many hundreds of people in traditional ceremonial sacred plant shamanism.  My shamanic practice is rooted in the ancient art of the Chavín huachuma mesa. The Chavín huachuma mesa is the most sophisticated and advanced sacred plant ceremonial practice known in the Andes and coastal Perú, predating the Inca by over 2,500 years.  The extraordinary Chavín culture, founded over 3,500 years ago, is recognized as the cradle of Andean civilization.  And the genesis of Andean civilization was the Chavin huachuma mesa ceremonies at Chavin de Huantar.

> The Chavin mesa is among the most profound spiritual practices known to mankind.  Huachuma is a sacred teacher healer plant of the Peruvian Andes and coast.  It has been used as a central sacrament and healing medicine in ancient Peruvian cultures for three millennia.  It is equal to Ayahuasca in it's healing and teaching power and it's benevolent and wise masculine energy is a perfect catalyst for the powerful feminine energy of Ayahuasca.  These may be done independently, or they may be done synergistically in succession, preferably starting first with Ayahuasca.  Both are always properly done in a traditional ritual ceremony guided by a maestro with many years experience with sacred plants and sacred energy.

> You'll find out more about us at http://www.biopark.org/peru/team.html and http://www.biopark.org/peru/maestros.html .  Don Rober and I represent over 80 years of combined experience in the practice of the shamanic healing arts. Unlike many others, we are not newcomers to this work.  We will guide you through the joys and challenges of the spirit plant shamanic path, and the rewarding integration of which follows, amplifying your relationship with nature, cosmos, and all humanity through your deep connection with the profound spiritual essence of ancient Perú.

> You'll realize deep cleansing, holistic healing, positive and enduring transformation, and personal empowerment if you are willing to do your part.  You'll need to bring a bit of faith, some strength of will, a dash of courage, all your integrity, and most of all, sincere love, compassion and good intentions for yourself and others.  These are the foundations of our work, and the Whole is always greater than the sum of it's parts.

> Group size for the Ayahuasca SpiritQuest, Ayahuasca Odyssey and Huachuma Serpent Mesa works in the Amazon is limited to twenty-four people, though our groups are usually smaller.  Group size for the Huachuma Journey Through Time to Chavín de Huántar is limited to fourteen

> I will be happy to assist in your travel planning and retreat preparations in every way possible, including airline reservations for flights within Perú.
>   
> You'll find more information about our work, and how to prepare and participate by following the provided links on our website.

> NOTE: If the links in this e-mail don't work just cut and paste them into your browser address bar.

> Ayahuasca SpiritQuest: Listening to the Plants
> ~ program introduction with abundant onsite links ~
> http://www.biopark.org/peru/ayahuasca-spiritquest.html
>
>     registration cost for 7 days/nights with three Ayahuasca ceremonies is US$1,599
>     Registration cost for 8 days/nights with four Ayahuasca ceremonies is US$1,749 (March, April, May, and November only)
>     Registration includes lodging and meals at the SpiritQuest Sanctuary shamanic retreat and healing center, airport pickup, local ground and water transportation, materials and medicines, three/four Ayahuasca ceremonies, personal shamanic counseling and consultation, and group integrative activities.
>     
>     NOT INCLUDED: airfare, airport taxes, restaurant meals away from the retreat, tips, travel insurance and personal items
>     
>     Please read our statement of purpose on the mother page and follow all the links for specific retreat information.
>     
>     Introduction - http://www.biopark.org/peru/spiritquest-introduction.html
>     Disclaimer - http://www.biopark.org/peru/spiritquest-disclaimer.html
>     Agenda and Accommodations - http://www.biopark.org/peru/agenda.html
>     Retreat Facilities: http://www.biopark.org/peru/retreat-facilities.html
>     Facilitators - http://www.biopark.org/peru/team.html
>     Maestros and Curanderos - http://www.biopark.org/peru/maestros.html
>     2007 Workshop dates - http://www.biopark.org/peru/schedule.html
>     Cost and Terms - http://www.biopark.org/peru/sqcost-terms.html
>     Gear, Health, and Travel recommendations - http://ww.biopark.org/peru/tobring.html
>     Alumni Comments and Testimonials - http://www.biopark.org/peru/sq-testimonials.html
>     Health and Medication Precautions - http://www.biopark.org/peru/ayamed-precautions.html
>     Diet Guidelines and Ceremonial Protocol - http://www.biopark.org/peru/sqcleansing-01.html
>     More on Food and Drug Precautions - http://www.biopark.org/peru/sqcleansing-02.html
>     
>     An additional shamanic retreat of 7 days/7 nights
>      at SpiritQuest Shamanic Sanctuary ceremonial retreat center ...
>     Ancient Shamanic Knowledge
>     Extraordinary Huachuma Serpent Mesa Initiations in the  Powers of theThree Elements in the Amazon ~ The Roots of Chavín
>     Birthing in the Verdant Womb of Mother Earth
>     Realizing the Union of Earth and Cosmos
>     registration cost for 7 days/nights is US$1,399* following most Ayahuasca SpiritQuest retreats in the Amazon
>     * special discounted registration for those also attending Ayahuasca SpiritQuest is just US$1,249 *
>     
>     The central focus of ASK is three extraordinarily enlightening Huachuma (aka San Pedro) Serpent Mesa works in the ancient Chavín style conducted by the maestro huachumero Don Choque Chinchay amidst the earthly natural power and verdant splendor of the Peruvian Amazon rainforest.  The three Mesas of the Serpent will engage the healing power and profoundly organic teachings of the great elemental mother spirits of the Amazon ... the Yacumama, mother of the rivers; the Sachamama, mother of the forest; and the Huayramama, mother of the air. 
>     
>     The SpiritQuest Shamanic Sanctuary is a spiritually-inspired shamanic ceremonial retreat center dedicated to holistic healing and higher consciousness.  It's metaphysical design, powerful spiritual energy, warm and sincere fellowship, and intimate proximity to old-growth rainforest and serpentine rivers makes it the perfect place to heal thyself, transform your life, and commune with the spirits of nature and cosmos.  This is the best venue for deep and productive personal huachuma mesa work to be found anywhere.
>     
>     Combined with Ayahuasca SpiritQuest, ASK provides a full two weeks (14 days/14 nights) of dynamic multi-dimensional exploration of Life, Spirit, Consciousness, Healing and Transformation in the heart of the Peruvian Amazon with traditional shamanic healer-teacher-allies of South America.  The synergy between these ancient holistic shamanic medicines is powerful and transformative.  It has been called "The Holy Grail of Chavin".  And indeed it is. The Whole is truly greater than the sum of the parts.   There is no better opportunity available anywhere for this kind of work.
>
>         Introduction - http://www.biopark.org/peru/sq-extension.html
>         ASK agenda - http://www.biopark.org/peru/sq-extension-agenda.html
>
>     Spiritness, Clarity, Truth, Healing, and Inner Peace can be realized through the profound healing and instruction of the Huachuma Mesa.  You need only bring noble intention, an open heart, a willingness to set aside judgement of yourself and others, and a sincere desire to experience the Divine.
>     
>     We will safely escort you into the spiritual world of traditional Peruvian magico-religious sacred plant shamanism.  You will realize remarkable benefits and experiences if you come holistically prepared, as well-informed as possible, and willing to set aside conventional western paradygms for a week or two and engage new ways of perceiving the worlds within and around you.
>     
>     Here are links on our website to more about the nature of El Gran Maestro Huachuma and the ancient Peruvian mesa tradition ...
>
>         Huachuma ~ San Pedro Introduction - http://www.biopark.org/peru/huachuma.html
>         More about Huachuma - http://www.biopark.org/peru/huachuma-02.html
>         San Pedro, Peyote and Mescaline: A Visionary Catalyst for Healing - http://www.biopark.org/peru/mescaline-healing.html
>         An Expanding Bibliography of Huachuma, San Pedro, and Mesa Shamanism - http://www.biopark.org/peru/huachuma-reading.html  with hard-to-find articles on Andean cosmology and traditional mesa practice, from the Chavin Huachuma Temple of the Jaguar to contemporary syncretic San Pedro Mesa ...
>
>     MESA INITIATION JOURNEYS AND RETREATS IN PERU with Maestro Chavín Huachumero don Choque Chinchay ...
>
>         Andean Huachuma Pilgrimage to Machu Picchu - http://www.biopark.org/peru/machu/machu-huachuma.html
>         Huachuma Mesa Journey Through Time to Chavin de Huantar - http://www.biopark.org/peru/machu/huachuma-huancabamba.html
>
>     2008
>     Special Events
>     
>     ~ Solstice Ayahuasca Odyssey ~
>     Old-Fashioned Shamanic Revival Celebrations
>      of Life, Spirit, Healing, Transformation, and New Beginnings
>     with five extraordinary Ayahuasca ceremonies conducted in the Lamista tradition by don Rober Acho and allies
>     ~ June 15 - 25, 2008 ~ June Solstice Ayahuasca Odyssey ~
>     ~ August 10-20, 2008 ~ Ayahuasca Odyssey Platinum ~
>     Ayahuasca Odyssey 10 day/night registration cost is US$2,099
>      not including roundtrip airfare Lima-Iquitos-Lima (currently $210)
>      ~ Extraordinary 10-day shamanic celebrations of life, nature, healing and rebirth ...
>     ... with enriched activity agenda and five powerfully healing Ayahuasca ceremonies...
>     Solstice Ayahuasca Odyssey Introduction - http://www.biopark.org/peru/millennium-spiritquest.html
>     Solstice Ayahuasca Odyssey Agenda - http://www.biopark.org/peru/millennium-agenda.html
>     Solstice Ayahuasca Odyssey Cost and Terms - http://www.biopark.org/peru/millennium-cost-terms.html
>     Attendance limited to twenty persons in luxury double-occupancy accommodations
>     
>     The Huachuma Mesa Pilgrimage Through Time
>     to the sacred Huachuma Temple of Divine Love at Chavín de Huantar
>     A supremely mystical spiritual journey through Time and Space
>     exploring the land, world view, and shamanic cosmology
>      of the pre-Incan Sicán-Lambayeque, Moche and Chavín cultures...
>     with incredibly ascending and transformative Huachuma Mesa works in the Chavín tradition
>     at some of the most powerful sacred places in South America.
>     The Huachuma Pilgrimage Through Time really is the supreme shamanic experience in Peru!
>     ~ http://www.biopark.org/peru/machu/huachuma-huancabamba.html ~
>     
>     Huachuma Mesa Pilgrimages in 2008
>     *Registration does not include one-way airfare Lima-Chiclayo of $115
>     
>     January Solstice 2008
>
>     *14 days with five stunning Huachuma mesa ceremonies at the most powerful huacas in Perú
>     ~ **January 12-26, 2008 ~
>     (14 days/5 mesas)
>     **This special New Year's Huachuma Journey Through Time  includes 5 profoundly illuminating,
>     deeply healing, and positively transformative Huachuma mesa works
>      14 days/5 mesas ~ registration cost US$1,999
>     
>     April-May Equinox 2008
>
>     *12 days with five stunning Huachuma mesa ceremonies at the most powerful huacas in Perú
>
>     ~ April 29-May 13, 2008 ~
>
>     (Special Event ~ 14 days/nights with five mesa ceremonies - $1,999)
>
>     
>
>     July Solstice 2008
>
>     *10 days with four incredible Huachuma mesa ceremonies at the most powerful huacas in Perú
>
>     ~ July 8-18, 2008 ~
>
>     (Special Event ~ 10 days/nights with four mesa ceremonies - $1,649)
>
>     
>
>     September Equinox 2008
>
>     *16 days including six stellar Huachuma mesa ceremonies
>
>      at the most powerful huacas in Perú
>
>     ~ September 22-October 7 2008 ~
>
>     (Special Event ~ 16 days/nights with six mesa ceremonies - $2,149)
>
>     
>
>     January Solstice 2009
>
>     Huachuma Mesa Journey Through Time to Chavín de Huántar
>
>     The supreme shamanic experience in Perú
>
>     with five incredible Huachuma mesa ceremonies at the most powerful huacas in Perú
>
>     ~ January 12-28, 2009 ~
>
>     (Special Event ~ 14 days/nights with five Huachuma mesa ceremonies - $1,999
>
>     
>
>     with stunning Huachuma Mesa works at the ancient Lambayeque and Moche pyramids of Túcume and El Brujo on the northern coast,
>     the supreme Chavin Mesa of Transformation  at the "mother" of all Mesas - the incredible 3,200 year old Huachuma temple at Chavín de Huántar,
>     and the climactic Mesa of Heaven's Gate at celestial Laguna Chinalcocha in the Cordillera Blanca.
>     
>     Participation is limited to twelve pilgrims of warm and stout heart, adventurous spirit, relaxed traveling style, and sharing tolerant nature.
>     You must be willing and able to work compatibly within a coordinated group framework as well as individually.
>     Alcohol consumption is abstained during the course of this work to optimize the opening of consciousness.
>     
>     The Huachuma Mesa Journey Through Time is at times challenging on many levels and is not for everyone.
>     We will engage magical dimensions in time and space which may be disturbing for those unprepared to See Truth.
>     It is highly recommended for those sincerely seeking powerful core shamanic experience of the highest magnitude.
>     
>     Application screening is required.  References available on request.
>     
>     Group size is limited to fourteen.  Minimum group size is 6.
>     
>     ~ Inkan Huachuma Pilgrimage ~
>      ~ with the Q'ero shamans and curanderas in the Sacred Valley and on to Machu Picchu ~
>     Communing with the Spirits of Nature and Cosmos in the southern Andes at the Navel of Pachamama
>     featuring stunning Puma and Condor Huachuma mesa works
>     and a heartwarming despacho ceremony of burnt offering to Pachamama guided by the Q'ero shamans
>      from the sacred apus of the southern Andes
>      - http://www.biopark.org/peru/machu/machu-huachuma.html -
>      ~ June 30-July 8, 2008 ~
>     The registration cost is US$1,699 for 7 days/7 nights
>     NOT INCLUDED: Roundtrip airfare from Lima to Cuzco (US$230), airport taxes, meals, tips, travel insurance and personal items.
>     - A shamanic journey to ancient sacred sites of the Inca in the Andes from Cuzco through the Sacred Valley to legendary Machu Picchu - 
>     
>     We'll begin our pilgrimage with a heartwarming despacho ceremony of burnt offering to Pachamama (Mother Earth)
>      led by the legendary Q'ero shamans, the living descendants of the Inca.  Our Q'ero 'waikis' are dear personal friends of many years.
>     They are incredibly warm and loving people of the Earth who live in the high Apus, the sacred peaks of the Inca.
>     
>     We will share the sacred communion of the Huachuma Misa
>      at two of the southern Andes' great centers of spiritual power, the Puma Mesa at Chinchero
>     and the Condor Mesa at legendary Machu Picchu.
>     
>     Group size is limited to fourteen.
>     Full registration payment by bank cashiers' check, money order, or bank wire transfer is due 45 days before the starting date to assure ample time for preparation and travel arrangements.  Since space is limited for each event, it is a good idea to register well in advance to assure your spaces for the dates you desire.  Late registration may be accepted if there are no health or medication/drug issues which might affect your safety in working with Ayahuasca.  Enrollment is accepted on a first-come basis pending application clearance. Acceptance is not guaranteed until your application have been reviewed. 
>     
>     Our work is honest, profound, intimate, intense, highly transcultural, and deeply personal.  It is rooted in genuine cofraternity and human rapport.  So don't hesitate to contact us with questions or to get acquainted.
>     
>     The Ayahuasca SpiritQuest, Ancient Shamanic Knowledge, and Ayahuasca Odyssey in the Amazon, and the Andean Huachuma journeys are very special opportunities to immerse oneself in the land, mind, and timeless shamanic cosmology of ancient Perú.  Our core shamanic work is deep, powerful, masterful and sincere ... from the heart.  We've refined it over many years and you'll find none better anywhere.
>     
>     We have created a stellar opportunity for those seeking the highest quality initiation in pure core Peruvian shamanism in a safe environment accompanied by people of experience, knowledge and integrity.  We'd be pleased to have you with us and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
>     
>     Blessings and best wishes,
>     
>     Howard
>
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:41:47 am by A.H. »

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 03:15:04 pm »
From the UMIYAC Statement in the link that is posted above;

Many of them profane our culture and our territories by commercializing yagé and other plants; dressing like Indians and acting like charlatans. We see with concern that a new type of tourism is being promoted which deceives the foreigners with so-called "services of Taitas or shamans" in a number of villages of the foothills. Indeed, even some of our own indigenous brothers do not respect the value or our medicine and go around misleading people, selling our symbols in towns and cities.

What I noticed is this response didn't once mention the  Yurayaco Declaration of the Union de Medicos Indigenas Yageceros de la Amazonia Colombiana (UMIYAC), or their concerns, or how Don Rober Acho Jarama was connected this Union. Instead his response sounded like a long winded sales pitch.

Is this information somewhere and I missed it?

It is a genuine shamanic healing retreat intended to facilitate quick and deep immersion in the ancient shamanic spiritualism of the western Amazon.

It sounds like the recognized Taitas feel this medicine might have a legitimate role in the healing of people outside their culture, but this "quick immersion" idea also put me off.

From the UMIYAC statement;

# The Taitas agree to initiate a process of certification of practicing healers and establish our own code of indigenous medical ethics. In this way it will be able to distinguish between real Taitas and charlatans.

# We are also willing to travel in order to bring the benefits of our medicine to indigenous communities in Colombia and other parts of America upon request. Conscious of the fact that non-Indians also need our services as doctors, we propose the construction of Indigenous Medicine Clinics so they may have easier access and in conditions better suited to the way in which we work, always closely linked to nature.

# The Taitas present at the Gathering have decided to formally create the Union of Traditional Yagé Healers of the Colombian Amazon (UMIYAC) and name our own representatives to carry out the various tasks to which we are committed and to represent us before the world, governments and other institutions.
If people from outside the culture can be helped by the use of Yage' I doubt reducing their culture to what a tourist could be quickly immersed in, or claiming this quick immersion is "deep",  is the way the traditional Taitas would want to provide this assistance.

But I don't know anything about this culture so I can only judge by what was said in the UMIYAC declaration and what is considered respectful in the cultures I am more familiar with.

Maybe the thing to do would be to try and see if there is a way to contact UMIYAC and ask them if it might be appropriate for someone with your needs to use this medicine and their cultural knowledge. If it maybe, you could ask them who you could contact for further assistence.

Laurel

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 03:20:07 pm »
You said "Fighting on separate sides just causes more damage."

This is simply not so.  Sometimes one of the sides is just plain wrong.  This was true of Hitler, true of those who did not think women should be allowed to vote, and true of those who resisted giving civil rights to African-Americans.  It is just as true now of people who want to dupe you out of your money by talking a lot of mumbo jumbo about Native Americans and spirituality.

I am whiter than a dead fish's belly, but I have learned enough about religious exploitation to (often) know it when I see it--and I see it here.  The reply you post is so full of buzzwords I am at a complete loss as to what any of it is supposed to mean.  I really am--and I have a master's degree in English. 

I personally don't care what substance you choose to put in your body.  It's the context--by which I mean the purchased, fake, cultural context--that pisses me off. 

Assuming that there is a "spiritual world of traditional Peruvian magico-religious sacred plant shamanism" (whatever that means), you ain't gonna get there "safely."   Ever.  Period.  Anything worth doing involves risk and sacrifice.  To my mind, the mark of the fraud is that he or she denies risk and instead offers you a shortcut that requires your only sacrifice to be that of parting with your dollars.  This is true of frauds and cults of any stripe--Christian, Hindu, Pagan, what have you.

I wish you well on your search.

Laurel

PS--What did the questionnaire ask?  Very curious about that.  I also wonder what on earth is meant by "tradtitional core shamanism" since AFAIK the term "core shamanism" was invented by Michael Harner rather less than 40 years ago.