Author Topic: what tribe or nation is everyone?  (Read 32580 times)

Offline liondaughter

Re: what tribe or nation is everyone?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 11:54:11 pm »
Hi everyone or dzie? dobry.  :)  The nation I identify most strongly with is Poland as that is where my father's ancestors were from (from peasant communities outside of Warszawa), though I myself have never been there.  My indigenous blood so far as I can tell is Santee from Minnesota through my maternal grandfather, but none of the culture has come down to me.  Otherwise, also on my mother's side, I descend from Ashkenazi Jews from Germany, French Huguenots, and likely some blood from the British Isles, though I don't know where specifically. 

Offline snorks

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 05:10:27 pm »
Me - French Canadian 3/4, Scottish 1/4. 

Offline redhawk45

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2008, 02:18:44 am »
Wow...how shall I start this.  I guess I can start with the geneology part.  6 years ago my mother and I found out about our german-Native side on my mother's father's side of the family.  The first notion that we had Native blood was one word on a death certificate for my great great great grandfather's death certificate for his mother:  Ealoly.  We usually go with the pronunciation of it because we don't think the person who signed the certificate knew how to spell such a name.  Also, the woman handling the records in Cambridge, OH, stated NDN's only had one name.  On top of that, they didn't know where she was born at all.  Then came a photograph of my great great great grandmother whom was distinctly NDN, but wearing a dark dress and feather earrings.  Further back, beyond my great great great great grandfather, there's again just one word: Leonora (most likely was Christianized), and again unknown for birthplace.

My mother's mother's side is full English Celt (Welsh, Irish, Scotish).

The DNA test, through DNAtribes.com (and pretty much THE most comprehensive database of DNA around.  Other testing centers can't tell you what world tribe you belong to, just percentage of european, african, NDN, Asian, etc.  DNAtribes pretty much can narrow down to a tribal group, unless they have a specific sample from a certain tribe that hasn't intermarried) pretty much helped conclude many things.  Mostly, I am English Celt (British Celt), Dutch German, and NDN = Alaskan Athabaskan (the most prominent bar on the graph), Shawnee (those who migrated from Mexico generations ago), and a tribe of Cree in Saskatchewan, Canada.  My mother is 1/8th NDN and I am 1/16th NDN...and yes, pretty much I'm only looking for a Native woman.  Not only to have her get on my case day after day, but to keep my NDN bloodline going, since I'm the last in my family to have it.

I have no idea about my father's side...never knew him, never seen him.  I've been thinking of doing a DNA test myself, just to find out something (at least close enough) about my father.  My mother swears he's English, being his last name is Becker (his grandparents were Baker)...but even I seen Beck's and Baker's on tribal rolls, so who knows.

On top of that, I'm adopted into the Alleghenny Lenape.

Well, that's my blood, splattered everywhere on this site...LMAO!

Eric

nighthawk

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2008, 08:25:40 am »
- removed by author -
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:32:23 am by nighthawk »

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 04:51:55 pm »
Then came a photograph of my great great great grandmother whom was distinctly NDN, but wearing a dark dress and feather earrings.  Further back, beyond my great great great great grandfather, there's again just one word: Leonora (most likely was Christianized), and again unknown for birthplace.

Right, so you are a person of distant Indian ancestry who's decided he is an Indian, but really should not be wearing any kind of 'regalia', as documented in the Allegheny Lenape thread. Carry on fantasising if you must but do it in private: if you continue to act out in public you will continue to be held up to ridicule, not that you seem to need much help in that department.

There is no such thing as an 'English Celt'. People in 'Celtic' communities don't pay much attention to ancestry. What counts is pretty much the same as what counts in Indian communities: Do you know the culture? Are you recognised by the community you claim to be part of? Can you speak the language or are you learning it if possible? Etc. Note I'm not asking you these questions so please don't try to answer. There is nothing wrong with not being Indian.

nighthawk

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 04:23:38 am »
- removed by author -
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:31:29 am by nighthawk »

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 04:59:16 am »
"Celtic" is a language grouping. English is not a Celtic language. Ireland is not part of "Britain". While Scotland and Wales are technically part of the UK as it is presently constituted, there are strong movements for sovereignty in these, as well as the other four, Modern Celtic Nations.

nighthawk

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 09:53:57 am »
- removed by author -
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:30:32 am by nighthawk »

Offline redhawk45

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2008, 11:41:24 pm »
I don't know who you think you are, for outright dictating, saying that I'm not NDN when I am.  Sure, i may live in a white community, HAVE to have white within me, due to my english and german side, but you have no right to say I'm not an NDN.  You didn't do the geneology, nor did you do our DNA.

As to the Celt thing...I accepted that terminology, not just from a person on THIS board who posted in this same topic, but from my aunt in Wyoming.  It completely fits.  Better than saying Anglo-Celt.

Here's a phrase another NDN taught me.  "You can either be an apple or red throughout.  You need to strive to be red throughout and never back down."

As to the regalia...you try to create something on a limited amount of cash and in bits and pieces.  Some of us ain't rich!  I'm the one who HAS to pull a true regalia together from FOUR tribes - three I have within me and one that I was adopted by.  That's the true nature of a regalia, to honor ALL your decendants.

Anyhow, I'll gladly take this topic straight to private message, since you clearly have no honor to tell it to me personally.

Eric

Then came a photograph of my great great great grandmother whom was distinctly NDN, but wearing a dark dress and feather earrings.  Further back, beyond my great great great great grandfather, there's again just one word: Leonora (most likely was Christianized), and again unknown for birthplace.

Right, so you are a person of distant Indian ancestry who's decided he is an Indian, but really should not be wearing any kind of 'regalia', as documented in the Allegheny Lenape thread. Carry on fantasising if you must but do it in private: if you continue to act out in public you will continue to be held up to ridicule, not that you seem to need much help in that department.

There is no such thing as an 'English Celt'. People in 'Celtic' communities don't pay much attention to ancestry. What counts is pretty much the same as what counts in Indian communities: Do you know the culture? Are you recognised by the community you claim to be part of? Can you speak the language or are you learning it if possible? Etc. Note I'm not asking you these questions so please don't try to answer. There is nothing wrong with not being Indian.

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2008, 09:36:08 pm »
I don't know who you think you are, for outright dictating, saying that I'm not NDN when I am.

Plenty of other people have been saying the same thing to you; you refuse to listen. Dude, you bought membership of a fake tribe: I'm sorry you got suckered but you bear some of the responsibility for it. Your obvious desperation not to be a plain old Anglo made you vulnerable.

Sure, i may live in a white community, HAVE to have white within me, due to my english and german side, but you have no right to say I'm not an NDN.

Yeah, I do. Indian people decide who's Indian. It's not a rigid definition but equally it's not rocket science: even an Anglo like me can understand the broad contours. You are not Indian, and not even the world's biggest hissy-fit can make you one. Hold your breath 'til you pass out if you like. When you wake up, you still won't be Indian.

You didn't do the geneology, nor did you do our DNA.

What makes a person Indian has been explained to you more than enough.

As to the Celt thing...I accepted that terminology, not just from a person on THIS board who posted in this same topic, but from my aunt in Wyoming. It completely fits.

It doesn't: take my word for it, I'm English.

As to the regalia...you try to create something on a limited amount of cash and in bits and pieces.  Some of us ain't rich!

Really? Incredible. Who knew? Many Indians wear exquisite traditional regalia year after year at powwows. They must all be rich, I guess.

I'm the one who HAS to pull a true regalia together from FOUR tribes - three I have within me and one that I was adopted by.  That's the true nature of a regalia, to honor ALL your decendants.

No, as you've written elsewhere, you chose to be Indian. You do not HAVE to carry on with this charade. As has also been explained, you were not adopted: you paid money to a fraud for something that was not in his power to give. And I think you mean 'ancestors'.

Anyhow, I'll gladly take this topic straight to private message, since you clearly have no honor to tell it to me personally.

Seems you couldn't wait, and so sent me a long message full of the offensive sense of entitlement we are so wearily familiar with, plus some swearing. You are so out of here. Stick to posting photos of your pecker online in future: you will probably find that less embarrassing in the long run.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:48:59 pm by Barnaby_McEwan »

Offline Prairie Fairy

• Political Blog
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2008, 11:20:21 am »
Hi I'm new here. I'm Serbian, 3rd generation immigrant, expatriated from Minnesota to the Netherlands. I'm also Scottish, Polish, Norwegian and Sami.

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2008, 02:16:52 am »
I'm enrolled in dine nation

DAN

Offline shining_path

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 07:19:17 pm »
I AM NORTHERN CHEYENNE. I HAVE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS OUTFIT. GLAD TO BE ABOARD.

Offline Jerzy

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2008, 04:39:16 pm »
I'm part of that little known Nation, the Annishinabski, Polish both sides back at least to the beginning.