Author Topic: what tribe or nation is everyone?  (Read 32659 times)

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
Re: what tribe or nation is everyone?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 02:06:07 pm »
On the Rosebud rez,  just a little west of Rosebud down BIA 5 along the Little White River. One family's land is called Paradise.

Offline Tsisqua

• Native American Unity ~ NAU
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 05:10:06 pm »
I am a full blooded enrolled member of the Keetoowah Band Of Tsalagi, From Tahlequah, Oklahoma
There are no leaders in Unity

Offline NanticokePiney

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 02:34:16 am »
  Mother was old line Quaker farm family/ father was the Nanticoke ( Moor) farm help.
  Enrolled Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape.

Offline TelGega

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 02:38:47 am »
I'm not from any tribe that I know of I am Norse

Leonard

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 05:24:52 pm »
This is the same for me as the only 'tribe' that I can claim is the 'Deep South' here in the United States, born in Georgia and raised in Oklahoma. I asked my father once as a little child about my ancestors and he said we were descended from 'black dutch and irish', what ever that means, and I can prove nothing else. All that I have managed to find so far is: Pushmataha County, Oklahoma - Land: Choctaw Full Blood Docket Surnames: M ..... ADA V. MELTON Case #48, Page 272, August 22, 1939 - In the Matter of the Approval of Full Blood of Corianthan Samuel
Ludlow, Louis Johnico and Ada Melton.

My family will not say much more and my father warned me once with a curious comment that I should not look too high up the family tree or I might find someone 'hanging' there; not sure what that one means either. The 'sir-name' Melton is Scandinavian in origin is all I know so far.

Leonard.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 02:48:42 am by Leonard »

Offline Wojciech Jozwiak

=0=
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 08:07:02 pm »
=0=
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:21:05 pm by Warlaj Lisiako »
taraka@taraka.pl
http://www.taraka.pl

Offline Pezan

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 04:47:20 pm »
Red River Metis & Native American= Blackfoot & Sioux

Offline Kevin

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 04:29:48 pm »
full blood caucasion here, of mixed ancestry, Steve_w. I've never been asked a question like that, what tribe would I want to be if I were an Indian. I don't know, but I would want to sport the name   Dances With Badgers, that might  be  a pretty cool monicer to have. Later in life, I may take up being a Nuager and get adopted and I could request that name. Yup, I could get on the CB radio, "this is Dances with Badgers West on I-94, are there any lonely ladies on the air tonight from standing rock or rocky boy?" cooooool

Offline Jill

• Old crone
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 03:29:17 pm »
Hi All,

I am a Britiah Celt, of mixed Breton, Welsh and Cornish ancestry, with a smidge of Irish.

My Ancestral and Tribal wisdoms are lost in the mists of time, and I attempt to rediscover what I can by working with a group of reconstructionalists at archaeological digs in and around the Stonehenge area.

I'm here basically for research, and an academic interest in the Culture of the many Native American Tribal peoples. I am interested in everyday life, not ceremony, and I thought I would come to this no-nonsense source, as those in Europe who pretend to be of your blood are often obvious frauds, and I am a cynical person.

I visited the States in 1987 and 1990, staying in Connecticut. Whilst there I visited a site known as the American Indian Archaeological Institute, in Washingto, CT. I have looked online to try to find a website for this place, but in vain.

Oops, sorry, I am taking this off-topic, so I will stop,

Cheers, Jill
The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground.........and miss!

Offline glendadeer

• MYSPACE
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 01:40:30 pm »
I am 1/2 Absentee Shawnee, 1/4 Kansas Kickapoo and 1/4 Oklahoma Kickapoo...

Shawnees and Kickapoos are "brother tribes"....we go by "you are what your father is"..My name and clan are Kickapoo, therefore I go with Kickapoo....

Offline zoi lightfoot

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 02:27:31 pm »
mississippi band anishinabe

Offline Mvskoke.Lady

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 02:51:27 am »
Enrolled in Muscogee (Creek) Nation of Oklahoma

Offline V Hawkins

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 03:45:09 pm »
My only citizenship is United States -- and Oklahoma. I love Oklahoma.  DNA testing says I am more Caucasian than anything else, but I am tri-racial -- including African American and American Indian.

Through genealogical evidence, my Indian blood is through Cherokee and Catawba or Pidmont Catawba (Saponi, Occoneechi, Monacan, et cetera), and possibly Chickasaw, but possibly not as well. People related to me by marriage DID marry into the Chickasaw. I can trace my first ancestor in Oklahoma/Indian Territory back to soldiers at Fort Gibson, through a family that also helped organize the first protestant church in both Arkansas (predating Dwight Mission by 3 years) and Oklahoma. Those Wayland ancestors who were at Fort Gibson in 1832 were part of the 1st Dragoon Expedition to visit the Comanche/Kiowa/Wichita in 1834, the first government to government contact between these Plains Tribes and the government of the United States. Ironically, that first meeting took place 15 miles (about) from where I live now). In 1872 we came back to Oklahoma to stay, this time in Sequoyah and Le Flore County, when Jeff Richey married Josey Brown, my great grandparents. We later moved to the Chickasaw Nation where we were living at the time of statehood, but we never enrolled or signed up for Dawes. I can document all of the above.

One ancestor lived in the first known Melungeon settlement and in fact I am beginning to think my ancestor coined the term "Melungeon", which is a French word that means "we mix or mingle" -- even today. I have recently learned that ancestor was born in Tipperary, Ireland and was an official of the Church of Ireland whose ancestors had come from South of London, England (Henry Wayland). Henry's grandson was clerk of "Stoney Crek Primitive Baptist Church" where the word "Melungeon" is first known to have been used, and having been descended from Churhc officials, was well educated, might have known French. It was the "clerk" who wrote the minutes where the word was used, and that clerk was my relative. Sme Melungeon researchers ar convinced my Nevil Wayland Sr's (son of Henry, father of the church clerk) wife was Kezziah Gibson, of the known Menlungeon Gibson's, who can be traced back to the "Piedmont Catawba" and were known to have been tri-racial from early colonial times. I suspect this is the source of my African ancestry as well.

Otherwise, I am English, Scots-Irish, German,  and God only knows what else. I want to be honest, so I can say most of my "proof" of Indian ancestry is through an autosomal DNA test. I am still searching. My Wayland's/Richey's married my Brown/Guess's in 1872 and we have been mostly in Oklahoma ever since.  We have lived near Indian peoples while remaining separate, for generations -- mixed bloods marrying other mixed-bloods, it seems, always assimilated, and never quite one thing or the other, racially.

That's who I am. I still live in SW Oklahoma.

Vance Hawkins

Offline yngona

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 04:24:25 pm »
i was wondering if the indians in here could tell what tribe they hail from. i am cherokee. no offense to the europeans. wait a minute, hey if all you europeans could be in an indian tribe which one would you pick and why? just wondering. thank you.

Not sure how I missed this post.  I am a Euro-American who identifies as a Heathen.  That is a tribal name: the Heithni. 

Live Deliberately!
Yngona Desmond

Offline chiefytiger

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 01:02:12 am »
greetings everyone ,Im new here and just wanted to say hello to all you NDN Nation's and some who arent,
Im not sure what i am just know that I belong to the First Nations PPLs here in what is called turtle Island .I have relatives from the North ,South .East,and West. So im here as an newbe ...
Chiefytiger