Author Topic: what tribe or nation is everyone?  (Read 32656 times)

Offline steve_w

what tribe or nation is everyone?
« on: July 19, 2007, 05:08:17 am »
hey fellow napfsters

i was wondering if the indians in here could tell what tribe they hail from. i am cherokee. no offense to the europeans. wait a minute, hey if all you europeans could be in an indian tribe which one would you pick and why? just wondering. thank you.

Offline Skully

• 81 Forever
Re: what tribe or nation is everyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 11:27:59 am »
Ojibwe, enrolled at White Earth, MN.
"Snitches are a dying breed." KK81, 2008

TRIBALMOONS@yahoo.com

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 05:11:28 pm »
I am of the Ani~Waya Cherokee Nation

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 05:32:56 pm »
My ancestry is about half Polish, the balance is Finnish, German, and Ojibwe. I was adopted into an English/Irish Catholic family as an infant, a "closed" adoption, not raised in native culture. Became intuitively aware of native ancestry at age 17, and "accidentally" met both natural parents at age 25, at which time I learned of my real biological roots. My natural father's father's mother (my paternal great-grandma) was Ojibwe, but my father never was enrolled. I was an odd-looking child: very light blond hair, and a dark olive complexion. At puberty, my hair started growing in black! I bleached it for a few years in high school, then just let it go to the color it wanted to be. Now at 54 it's mostly grey, but I still have black eyebrows.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 05:37:27 pm »
enrolled Standing Rock Sioux
In Spirit

Laurel

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 06:07:53 pm »
Since you asked....(-:

I'm dead fish belly white, at least half Scots-Irish in descent.  (Unsure as I'm a victim of closed adoptions too.)  I'd never thought about it before, but if I could be of a native nation I'd be Crow, just to piss my wannabe-Crow ex-husband off.

Laurel
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 09:06:05 pm by Laurel »

Offline Tvstvnvke-Neha

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 11:34:22 pm »
I am a mix blood. Porch band of Creek Indians / English-Scotish.

Offline KiowaKat

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 03:27:03 am »
enrolled Kiowa

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 05:16:02 am »
Tansi;

I am Proud to be Cree/Metis, living in the Metis community of Green Lake, Saskatchewan.

Ric

Offline two shadows

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 02:19:28 pm »

lost in my own reality..*S*

as best I can do..in percentile order

Scot
Irish
French
Cherokee
Choctaw
Welsh
English
Shawnee
Sikh

hence the name..two shadows...(not to mention I am so big around I cast two shadows)

*S*

Offline ska

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 11:04:50 pm »
Firstly,  let me say I am Ska, a new member, and I extend a warm greeting to you all. 

I have been a "lurker" (I think that is what I am called in the parlance of the internet) for a long time.  I finally joined because I have been recommending this forum to many others, despite the fact that I have not acknowledged to all of you that I appreciate and respect your collective work.  I needed to register in order to express these words of thanks to you directly.  So here I am.  Thank you.

Now on to the subject of this post: I am married to a Sicangu Lakota fullblood, and my son is an enrolled member of his father's tribe.  I grew up in Cree territory, but I am neither Lakota or Cree.  I am a Punjabi settler (born in India), now living in the territories of the Tsleil-Wautuuth ("Burrard" band of Coast Salish) on the Canada-occupied side of their territories. 

In my husband's generous Lakota way, he says that I am native, but not to this continent.  So, in the context of not being native to this continent, here are my "tribal" specs:

I'm a Sikh female descended from a part of India known as the Punjab, a very multicultural part of the world.  I am a descendent of the Walia biradari (community), born of Mamik and Tulsi gotras (a gotra is kinda like a "clan").  Prior to the 1700s, my people were called Kalals, a tribe that helped fight back the Afghans and Moghuls who invaded our territories.

Offline MikePutfus

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 06:16:22 am »
Dago Te
N'dee, Carrizo Band.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 01:22:21 pm »
Firstly,  let me say I am Ska, a new member, and I extend a warm greeting to you all. 

I have been a "lurker" (I think that is what I am called in the parlance of the internet) for a long time.  I finally joined because I have been recommending this forum to many others, despite the fact that I have not acknowledged to all of you that I appreciate and respect your collective work.  I needed to register in order to express these words of thanks to you directly.  So here I am.  Thank you.

Now on to the subject of this post: I am married to a Sicangu Lakota fullblood, and my son is an enrolled member of his father's tribe.  I grew up in Cree territory, but I am neither Lakota or Cree.  I am a Punjabi settler (born in India), now living in the territories of the Tsleil-Wautuuth ("Burrard" band of Coast Salish) on the Canada-occupied side of their territories. 

In my husband's generous Lakota way, he says that I am native, but not to this continent.  So, in the context of not being native to this continent, here are my "tribal" specs:

I'm a Sikh female descended from a part of India known as the Punjab, a very multicultural part of the world.  I am a descendent of the Walia biradari (community), born of Mamik and Tulsi gotras (a gotra is kinda like a "clan").  Prior to the 1700s, my people were called Kalals, a tribe that helped fight back the Afghans and Moghuls who invaded our territories.

Hi Ska, Nice to meet you. i use to have a good friend who Punjab and she lived with us for a while.
In Spirit

Offline ska

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 01:58:12 pm »
Good morning, earth7

Nice to meet you, too.  Hope you and all the other nafpsters are doing well on this good day.

Yeah, it seems most of the immigrants to Canada from India have been Punjabis.  Not sure how it is in Amerikkka. 

There seems to be a few immigrants from India who make their way to the rez to work, often as teachers, or accountants or engineers.  Every once in a while I spot another "Indian" at a powwow (usually not the traditional wacipis, though).  There's a Sikh teacher who works at St. Francis Indian School who dances at Hollow Horn Bear.

Jeez, earth7, there's a lot of not good stuff happening out here on the West Coast, with regard to Lakota ceremony.    Every time my husband turns around, there's another dude calling himself a "yuwipi man" and, the sad thing is, many of these are men who are Native to this continent but are NOT Lakota, nor do they speak the language.  Oh yeah, there's also quite a few "Sun Dance chiefs", "pipe carriers", and "road men" - all claim they were anointed and appointed by the man from Grass Mountain.

Best, Ska

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:33:48 pm by ska »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 07:48:53 pm »
Where is Grass Mountain??
In Spirit