Author Topic: Steve McCullough aka Iktomi Sha & Salt Creek Sundance  (Read 254554 times)

Offline WINative

Re: Steve McCullough aka Iktomi Sha & Salt Creek Sundance
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2017, 08:18:05 pm »
Yes it's good to reiterate that about Elmer Running since it was posted a long time ago and is new info on the Salt Creek web-site.
I wonder if Leonard Crow Dog has pulled support of Steve McCullough? Since this all came out that he gave him a medal and made him a chief at his sundance.
On May 27, 1994, I was an active participant on the Walk For Justice which was sponsored by AIM and led by Dennis Banks and I was on the walk from then to the end in Washington DC on July 15, 1994. I remember we stopped for a few days at the home of Steve McCullough and his wife in Bicknell, Indiana. He was just introduced as a Non-Indian supporter who was offering some place to camp.
I remember the family being pleasant but there was never a talk of him being a chief or medicine man or anything more then just an AIM supporter which should have just been good enough for him. It's unfortunate that he had taken it this far since then, and I know non-Indian men who go to his dance in Indiana, since it's the only place their allowed to dance, and come back to the Native community and think their allowed to pour lodges or conduct pipe ceremonies or even put Native kids through Vision Quest, thankfully the community put a stop to it. But it's always more deeper then just the person leading it. That's why we fight to stop these people...

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #226 on: June 28, 2017, 12:24:33 am »
It makes me thing of Johnnie every time this thread comes up :'(
The Salt Creek sundance was never on National Park land, it was Forest Service land. I still remember how disrespectful Steve and his family were to Vernal and Darlene Cross

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2018, 04:33:59 pm »
The Grand Governing Council of the National office of the American Indian Movement publicly demands that Steve McCullough, also known as; “Chief” Steve McCullough, aka “Chief Red Spider Iktomi Sha”, stop identifying himself as a member of the American Indian Movement. Steve McCullough has never been a member of the American Indian Movement and will not ever be recognized as a member or supporter of the American Indian Movement by the National office.

The Grand Governing Council of the American Indian Movement also publicly denounces the so-called “Salt Creek Sundance”. McCullough has in the past proclaimed support from Dennis Banks, however Dennis Banks and other leaders, such as; myself, Vernon Bellecourt, Michael Haney, Kenny Kane, Kenny Irwin, Louie Erwin, Mary Crowdog, Charlene Teeters, and many others, demanded McCullough stop his fraudulent Sundance over 24 years ago. McCullough agreed to do this but has failed to do so. In the past 24 years, American Indian Movement Chapter Directors, Elders, members and supporters throughout Indian Country have called for him to cease and desist “performing” Sundances, and to stop appropriating Native American Culture and Spirituality, and he has blatantly refused and ignored their requests to do so.

Native Americans, since first contact, have died to protect and to preserve our languages, culture, religious and spiritual rights. This is one of the principal reasons that the American Indian Movement was founded in 1968. For the past 50 years, we have fought against the United States Government and various Christian sects that have sought the genocide and ethnocentric policy and strategy to annihilate Native people. "The Longest Walk" of 1978 was an AIM-led spiritual walk across the country to support tribal sovereignty and bring attention to 11 pieces of anti-Indian legislation. One of the outcomes to this walk was the Native American Freedom of Religion act, created to protect and preserve the traditional religious rights and cultural practices of American Indians, Eskimos, Aleuts and Native Hawaiians.

However, people like Steve McCullough, the New Age Movement, and “Indian Hobbyists”, are an equal, if not more insidious threat. They misrepresent themselves as Native people, they take ownership and appropriate our culture and spirituality. They skewer history with racial stereotypes, and “water down” our traditional and cultural ways. They profit by preying on the spiritually lost and deprived to support their efforts; financially and socially. People like Steve McCullough, and those that associate with the “Salt Creek Sundance” appear to use social media to create a false image of credibility and to promote and package Native Spirituality as if to be consumed by an audience, all the while still disregarding the call from Native people to stop “performing” this Sundance and appropriating Native culture.

The Grand Governing Council of the National office of the American Indian Movement stands with the American Indian Movement of Ohio and the American Indian Movement Indiana/Kentucky in their efforts to educate and inform the public that Steve McCullough is misrepresenting himself as an American Indian Movement member, and that the American Indian Movement does not endorse this “Salt Creek Sundance” and in fact, views this not as a ceremony but as a fraudulent performance that should not occur

Offline anonymous123

« Reply #231 on: April 26, 2022, 07:13:26 am »
This guy is still active in the Netherlands. I accidently joined a ceremony. He is a big fake. During the complete dark session there were lights ("spirits"), a bird flying and rattling. I am pretty sure he all produced those sounds by himself. We want to see if we can bust this disrespectfull guy. Anyone has any thoughts about what the lights, ratteling and bird flying in complete darkness?

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #232 on: April 28, 2022, 02:12:19 am »
He would have one of his kids or supporters with small rattles to make the rattling sounds and lights can be easily faked with little led flashlights.  And once again I am thinking of our departed friend Johnnie

Offline DCBirtch

« Reply #233 on: August 30, 2022, 01:07:34 pm »