Author Topic: High School in California Offering "Visionquest" Ceremony  (Read 5010 times)

Offline canyonero88

High School in California Offering "Visionquest" Ceremony
« on: May 14, 2007, 08:09:38 pm »
Hi-
    I am a teacher at a small independent high school in Northern California, and for several years I have been trying to alert the school's administration, teachers, and students to the disservice that the school's "Visionquest" program does to both American Indians and to the school's attempts to educate students about respecting culture.  About 25 years ago a member of the faculty paid to participate in a Visionquest Ceremony with Brooke Medicine Eagle, and since that time she and her partner have been leading "Visonquests" for both juniors and graduating seniors.  As you might imagine, the "ceremony" is a mish mash of smudging, medicine circles, Native tarot cards, and other New Age interpretations/bastardizations of American Indian spiritual practices.  I am shocked that such practices are allowed to go on, and even more shocked that the administration has been reluctant to put an end to the program (at least in the aspects of the program that borrow from "American Indian traditions").  I just came across the NAFPS Forum today, and I am hoping that some of the members of this community might be able to give me some information/advice on how I can bring in people from outside of the school's community who could be my allies in this battle (either speaking to the school during assemblies or addressing students in classes, or applying pressure to the school through a letter writing campaign perhaps).  Thank you all for establishing this community, and thank you for any assistance that you can provide me.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: High School in California Offering "Visionquest" Ceremony
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 12:31:35 am »
If you use the search feature, I think there is info on Brooke "Medicne Ego" Edwards. She is a well known fraud. I also think there are  articles in place about Vision quests. Maybe that would be a place to start.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: High School in California Offering "Visionquest" Ceremony
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:15:13 pm »
I'm not sure just how far north in N California you are, but in the Bay Area, groups like Center for the Spirit have fought against plastic shamans for years.

If not them I'd look for an Indian Center in the nearest large city and ask who they know who is involved in issues like cultural appropriation and spiritual exploiters. If  they don't know of anyone, ask if they have speakers who'd be willing to do presentations to high school kids. Then when they came to school, bring up the vision quests done by Med Ego. Try to have a school administrator present when the speaker gives their answer.