Author Topic: Spirits for Sale  (Read 104075 times)

Offline Jill

• Old crone
Re: Spirits for Sale
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2008, 04:05:37 pm »
I would be interested in the DVD when it is available in Britain.

Cheers, Jill
The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground.........and miss!

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2008, 05:21:03 pm »
It is available, check your PM:s Jill

Annika

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2008, 07:24:46 pm »
Nice to see our film getting some promotion over in US.
The lady who wrote this interviewed me on MSN. Thanks Carole!
And thanks, Ingeborg, who found this....I had almost forgotten about it.
(I DO like the ending....LOL)

http://www.nativevue.org/blog/?p=804

Offline eagle helps him

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2008, 08:22:06 pm »
For your info, an inaugural Multicultural festival will be held on Australia's Gold Coast in November 2008. It will include a Multicultural Film Festival, as well as dance, song and displays from many different cultures.

http://www.goldcoastmulticulturalfestival.org

There is, unfortunately, far too much fraud in Australia, conducted by Native Americans, and non-natives.

Maybe screening your film would help to educate people about what goes on. This education is greatly needed!

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2008, 08:33:01 pm »
Thank you so much for this information!
It sure seems interesting and we´ll keep our eyes open for admission dates for the filmfestival.

Thanks again!

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2008, 09:48:29 pm »
I am very happy to say that the McNay Museum in San Antonio, Texas, finally has decided to purchase the film. It will be screened for visitors and it will be available at Teachers Resource Center, so that teachers can borrow it.
All this has been made possible by Al, who has made a fantastic job!! Thanks so much, Al. Keep us updated on how it goes and if you and Gayle get the opportunity to present the film! It would have been great.

On another note: the review by Carole Levine - http://www.scene4.com/html/thisissue.html - got the following comment:

http://www.scene4.com/readersblog/2008/04/spirits_for_sale.html

This woman is kind enough to inform us that Sweden and Denmark are two completly different countries.
Didn´t q-u-i-t-e understand that comment.....   LOL

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2008, 12:57:52 am »
I should add that the McNay is very enthusiastic about the film. They're talking about hiring not just me, but also Gayle and Andrew, to work with them on other projects as well. Not sure yet whether it'll be me or Gayle who winds up at the screening. I'll keep everyone informed.

Offline PaxMan

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2008, 02:46:06 pm »
I can hardly wait to view then purchase this important film! Please submit it to all the film festivals, especially Sundance - they have a specific Native American venue!
I am a little taken aback by the quote you used on the promo:

???First they killed our people. Then they took our land. Now they steal our faith.???

Faith is something which can never be stolen, short of mind-control techniques used on the mind of the person who has that faith. Sure, the acoutrements, the outward expressions of religion, spirituality, culture can and have been stolen, misinpterpretted, auctioned to the highest (nonNative) bidder - but stealing 'faith' - that is as unlikely as stealing 'spirit' and, perhaps I am naiive, but I was taught to believe that no matter what anyone is doing, or has done to you, you are the only person who can keep your faith intact, and you are the only person who can allow it to slip away.

Perhaps I am missing something. Perhaps it is semantics. Regardless, congratulations on your film and I so look forward to sharing it with others. Thank you for 'keeping the faith' as I am sure it was challenged as you accomplished your goal.

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2008, 08:53:15 pm »
I understand what you mean, PaxMan. Our producer quoted a comment by a Native guy (unfortunately we lost his name....). I didn´t mind - if nothing else, we would probably get some good discussions about it, I thought. At least one New Ager got really mad and said: "You cannot write things like that, someone could get angry!" (Since he sold ceremonies himself, I wonder who this "someone" was....LOL)

The DVD will be ready very soooooon, hopefully next week. Sorry it is taking some time but we are adding quite a lot of bonus material , so the DVD contains more than two hours footage right now. We have a pow wow scene, a drumgroup, the whole interview with Arvol, more from Al - including a great tattoo scene which we just couldn´t fit in, but it is now back! - and some Dinéh flutemusic. AND 45 minutes from the Gathering of Nations at Bear Butte 2006 with speakers like Oliver Red Cloud and Alex White Plume.

Will let you know as soon as we release it!

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2008, 02:40:04 am »
I am a little taken aback by the quote you used on the promo:

???First they killed our people. Then they took our land. Now they steal our faith.???

Faith is something which can never be stolen...  Perhaps it is semantics.

"Faith" can be used not only for "personal faith in something" but also as a synonym for "Religion".

For another voice on how it affects people, what it does to your emotions and spirit to have outsiders steal your cultural ceremonies, have a listen to what this guy has to say about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEChaNnvaWc

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2008, 02:02:04 pm »
I am glad to inform you that "Spirits for Sale" finally is out on DVD for anyone to buy. More info:

http://web.mac.com/spiritsforsale/iWeb/Webbplats%202/Buy%20Spirits%20for%20Sale.html

Please note that buyers in US have to contact our agent, Filmakers Library in New York. There is a special consumers price, so if it´s just for personal use, don´t forget to inform them.

Also, the film will be screened at "The Indigenous International Film Festival" in Kathmandu, Nepal (!)
The festival is held 5th - 8th June. The criteria for selection is

* Indigenous participation in production processes
* Recovery of cultural expression that is endangered or being assimilated
* The way the work reflects indigenous people’s right to freedom and self-determination, as well as notions of “development??? from the indigenous perspective.

So we´re very happy that our film was chosen among many entries! (Wish I could go to Nepal...LOL)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:51:12 am by Freija »

apukjij

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2008, 03:47:40 pm »
im happy the film is availible!!!!! yay!! but dang its over half my welfare check to buy it!!! i dont mind waiting to it gets on tv, its exciting! well done!!!!

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2008, 09:03:36 am »
Thank you so much, Apukjij! Filmakers Library will help us to get in contact with TV-channels in US.

It´s kind of funny....we made a film to educate Europeans, but the big interest in the film comes from the US. I don´t know...maybe this film is still too "controversial" for Europe. There are so many people who would like to stay in the cosy world of "cartoon-or New Age Indians".

Oh well, the same old exploiters are still finding their way to Sweden, but the awareness over here is much, much bigger now. I hear that people nowadays stand up against the exploiters and often inform their followers. When you have something behind you, like a film and books, it is much easier to get courage enough to do it. :)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2008, 06:15:06 am »
Here's the link for us in the US: http://www.filmakers.com/index.php?a=filmDetail&filmID=1551

Expensive for personal use, but maybe we can get libraries and universities to order copies. And I'm also thinking PBS, Discovery Channel, National Geographic Channel, The Learning Channel...

Oh, and Worldlink. Worldlink is really good.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:25:47 pm by Kathryn NicDh? na »

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2008, 07:16:56 am »
Filmakers Library has a consumer price, too. Much, much cheaper.
They don´t advertise  it, but just inform then when and if you contact them that it is for private use and they will quote you the cheaper price.

I am also glad to inform you that we signed a new contract this week, with Journeyman Pictures in London, UK.   http://www.journeyman.tv   They are one of the biggest distributers in Europe (actually in the world) and they loved the film. Which is nice to hear from experts (LOL)  Journeyman will promote and sell it all over the world for us and it will eventually be on their website.