Author Topic: Two to watch out for in Maryland  (Read 35918 times)

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Two to watch out for in Maryland
« on: January 01, 2005, 09:35:05 pm »
There are two people in Maryland to watch out for. The first is a white man in his late 50s, early 60s named Stanford (don't know his last name). In the late 60s, 1970s he owned head shops/new age stores in Baltimore city. His most recent endevor was a store in Baltimore called "Touch the Earth" (new age, aromatherapy, Indian trinkets, etc). He lives in a suburb of Baltimore off of Old Court Road. He runs and charges for sweats, last I heard $250 per person. These sweats, which I was told from women who attened, are co-ed and at times nude. I attempted to become his "friend" to see if I might be invited and see first hand. But he never invited me, guess he didn't want any real Indians there. Those in the Baltimore/Washington area may have heard about him or know him. He also sells fake merchandice. He  tried to sell me a flute that he said was made by a Dancing Mayan Medicine Man. Flute was urban pine (pvc pipe).

The other person is a lady named Jasmine (no one seems to know her last name). She claims to be Cherokee and says she is enrolled with the Eastern Band. She also claims to be a "Chief Medicine Woman"(there is no such thing).  No officials down in Cherokee, NC have ever heard of her. She has a following of non-Indian people who think she is very powerful. She conducts sweats and also leads bogus ceremonials.

Joseph

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Two to watch out for in Maryland
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 03:39:56 pm »
I couldn't find much on the first one outsude of the address of the shop, which only advertises aromatherapy.

Is the second one Jasmine Hisha or Hishaw? No online presence from her that I can find, no mention other than her being interviewed by a Baltimoe author for "If I Had God's Telephone Number".
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0971703205/103-2522938-2445410?v=glance
One of the reviews.
"It is the Cherokee Medicine Woman Jasmine Hishaw's words in the final chapter that remain with me most strongly. This is the chapter that sold me on the book. Ms. Hishaw teaches about the structure of the Universe, organized religion, the New Age movement, human sexuality, the Creative Force as expressed through Divine Father and Earth Mother, and many other topics of interest to us today. "

Could you find out anything more?

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 04:10:27 pm »
I lived in the Baltimore area from 1982 - 1985 and have met Stanford and been in the Touch the Earth store, which IIRC used to have a deli. His last name is Greenberg.

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 01:58:39 am »
I don't think Standford's last name is Greenberg. I know it a French sounding name. He use to have a store in the 80s called the Green Earth but the store Touch the Earth didn't open till the mid 90s in an area of Baltimore called  Canton. It is now out of business.  I know sooner or later I will remember his last name. Unfortunaley I have lost contact with anyone who remembers his last name.

Joseph

Pat D.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 10:11:20 pm »
Yes, when I was there it was called Green Earth, I remember now! And I remember he was know in Baltimore as a drug dealer as well. Maybe I can find out his last name. You might check with this fellow:

Louis Klaitman
Lookinglass
407 N. Paca Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
(800) 729-5665

I'm sure he knows Stan's last name.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by admin »

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 02:16:29 pm »
Thank you for the info. I e-mailed Louis Klaitman and hopefully I will get a response. Also, it is well known in Baltimore about Stanford's illegal operations. Many say that is how he could afford the "farm" and all that he has.

When I attempted to  be invited to his sweats I was hoping that I could find Eagle feathers there and at least turn him in because of  that. I guess for now I must settle for getting the word out about him.

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 03:35:20 pm »
Louis was a friend to Roy Steevensz years ago, lent him a bunch of money for his L.A. operation and never got repaid, yet continued being friendly to Roy as long as he was in Balto. Louis is a real nice guy. He never knew Roy after he morphed into being "Littlesun." That didn't happen until more than ten years later.

Let us know what Louis has to say about Stanford, if you hear back from him.

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 02:53:17 am »
I have not heard back from Louis Klaitman. I did do a search, every which that is possible, on Stanford's store, Touch the Earth. It came up in many, many lsiting, of which I looked at least 30 of them, none of which has his name mentioned. I did a search in the archives of the Baltimore Sun newspaper and even though the store is mentioned in a lot of articles, nary a mention of his name.

Here is an interesting coincidence (I don't believe in them though). Loius Klaitman lives 2 blocks from me. The incoropration address for  The Green Earth (Stanfords's old store) is 2 block from me in the other direction.

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 03:02:38 am »
Does the name "Lessans" ring a bell?

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 03:05:02 am »
Bingo, thats the name, thank you. Stanford Lessans. So now everyone knows here in the Baltimore-DC area not to be taken in by Stanford Lessans.

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 09:26:32 pm »
Well, wouldn't you know it. its been at least 2 years since I have seen Stanford. Today I bumped into him at the video store. I said a cordial hello but he seemed to be a little ill at ease, maybe I'm just reading into it. Anyway, small world, init?

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 06:33:33 pm »
It would seem that when it comes to this person, Stanford, well maybe he has fallen on financial, and perhaps even, personal hard times. I saw him just the other day looking old, tired, nearly bald and working as a cashier at Trader Joe's. I would venture to guess that he is too old and unpleasing to look at to attract the young women to his co-ed sweats.

Offline hope

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 01:01:08 am »
I know quite a bit about Jasmine, and her last name as she gives it is Hisha.  She definitely identifies herself as someone who is high up in the eschelon of Cherokee shamans and tribal leaders.  I would be interested in knowing if she is indeed Cherokee and recognized by the Cherokees.  She lives in Maryland, and charges for healing services, sweats, vision quests, etc. etc.  She has quite a following, and travels across the country to do healings.  She does not advertise but uses word of mouth.  She requires strict allegence from her close followers and is known to be very vindictive to any that stray in devotion to her.  She had a loose cohort named Thunderbear, also supposed to be a Native American healer, but now they are estranged.

Anyone?

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 08:13:44 pm »
Hope, notice what Joseph found out about Hisha (near the top.) From what you say she is one to watch out for. No actual Native healer would try to dominate her followers in such a cult like way.

Do you know anything more about this Thunderbear, a last name or claimed tribe?

Would you mind describing in more detail some of the things you've seen? How did you first meet her?

Offline hope

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 03:34:37 am »
I don't know what tribe Thunder Bear claims to be part of.  Jasmine says she is Cherokee Deer, to be specific.