Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3304 times)

Offline daynise

Hello
« on: April 28, 2008, 08:54:52 pm »
Hello and thank you for allowing me to join this forum. I found this site through another forum and have been very impressed with its content. Most of what I’ve read here has been intelligent, well articulated, and very informative. I have always had a keen interest in fringe groups, new age/money-making religious activities. I grew up with an extended family that took part in a fundamental/ evangelical Christian movement. My uncles founded a church that purported to turn children into prophets and “warriors for Christ.??? It was not until recently, when I read through a book and website sponsored by my uncles that I realized how much of what I experienced as a child (and thought were games) was really part of their religious activities bordering on brainwashing and sometimes abuse. I know this site is dedicated mostly to abuse of indigenous spirituality and cultural theft, but this is just to share that I know intimately what it is for random people to create a business of religion and to sell powers- such as prophecy, salvation, and healing. My uncles did it and as a result it is the children who bear the scars. I find cultural/ spiritual theft despicable and do not believe in “mixing medicines??? as some new age groups do. I hope to learn much here and possibly contribute. Thank you again for having me.