Author Topic: Any ideas on how I can fact check this?  (Read 3818 times)

Epiphany

Any ideas on how I can fact check this?
« on: April 29, 2011, 02:26:03 am »
Ghosthorse stressed that in the Lakota language there are no words for “I” or “me” and that the emphasis is on sharing, not procuring for oneself.

More recently, the “new” Lakota language has added the words “I” and “me” first and foremost, a development he laments.

Speaking of religion, Ghosthorse says he believes “We just don’t die. Our spirit, our energy just goes back to Earth, and that’s a good thing. In the Lakota philosophy we believe we were alive before we came here. We’re alive now and we’ll be alive, even though physically we may change because all of our reality in this way of rational thinking is contained within our physicality.”

“We don’t have words like ‘believe,’” he continues, “because, if you think about it, it’s a spiritually lazy word.

http://hollywoodprogressive.com/indigenous-peoples-locked-global-survival-struggle/

Tiokasin Ghosthorse http://firstvoicesindigenousradio.org/fvir/tiokasin_ghosthorse.html can be found all over the web. Those quotes above - years ago I heard him talk like this often in person, some people view him as charismatic and he has quite a following. But is what he is saying about language true? I'd appreciate any analysis.

Epiphany

Re: Any ideas on how I can fact check this?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 01:57:44 pm »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:40:55 pm »
Ghosthorse family is from Cheyenne River he is native
In Spirit

Epiphany

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 02:57:04 pm »
Yes he is NDN. His last name is actually Veaux, from SD. I guess my concern is more with his mostly white audience that believes everything he says without question.

He's not necessarily doing anything wrong, he is a radio personality and musician, he does interact with a lot of new age stuff but isn't selling ceremonies or anything like that. I am frustrated with his audience though that views him as a source of Native Wisdom.