Odds and Ends > Etcetera

Ward Churchill

<< < (3/13) > >>

A.H.:
I think there is too much simple media sparked gossip in this topic. 

Just read this report:

http://www.colorado.edu/news/reports/churchill/download/WardChurchillReport.pdf

Yes, he is guilty of superficial scholarship and errors..

but..

Reply by him on 911 controversy:

http://www.politicalgateway.com/news/read.html?id=2739

He speaks like an intelligent man with quite radical opinions that are (mis)understood very simple-mindedly by the general public and right wing politicians..

But as that serious report shows - he is apparently guilty of superficial scholarship in some cases. Not all black & white though.

Kevin:
I distinguish between his 9/11 proclamation(s) and his academic offenses. The former brought scrutiny upon him,  which in turn prompted some tenured professors to be empowered by law to investigate and they found reason to have him fired, a wee bit more serious than mere " superficial shcolarship and errors".  I would expect nothing less from the academic community. What will remain forever unknown is the extent to which his false claims of Indian heritage influenced his hiring. That false claim of heritage is every bit as serious as his academic 'sins' IMO.

apukjij:
i have met this man, i think i have read almost every bit of prose he has ever composed, he claimed to be Native, this makes him a liar, or at the very least delusional.
However i was grateful with what he shared when i asked him about Annie-Mae.
And his books fueled a whole generation of youthful Wapana'ki Warriors here in maritime kkkanada, in fact some of what he published are the finest treatises on the white people that have ever been written.
i asked the Chair of Native Studies what she thought of the ancestry controversy, her only response was she was troubled because as far as she knows, "we the People are to the final arbitrator as to who is one of us".

ska:
Sorry to piggy-back this question on the Churchill thread.

In a previous post on this thread, Kevin mentioned an article by Steve Russell in which Russell seems to suggest that Andrea Smith is not Cherokee.

Can anyone please fill me in on this?  I have used her books in my classes, including Conquest: Sexual Violence and American Indian Genocide and The Color of Violence.

Kevin:
Ward should  be the first person on the boat back to Europe, Apukjij. I can't imagine any group that gets fired up by the words of Ward Churchill ever accomplishing much, but that's just my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version