Author Topic: Indigenous Elders in UK  (Read 14979 times)

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
Indigenous Elders in UK
« on: June 23, 2012, 02:13:41 pm »

Anyone that knows anything about this....? Or about those Elders?

http://indigenouselders.blogspot.co.uk/p/schedule-for-england.html

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Indigenous Elders in UK
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 02:39:22 pm »
While I have not heard of these people, I will say that the one "grandmother" who is listed as Haudenausonee but was born in Hawaii and never actually lived wuth her people. That raises some questions. The other one I have questions about is the "grandfather" who is "Cherokee" but has a Lakota name? They may all be good people, but I see some red flags here.

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 04:12:17 pm »
While I have not heard of these people, I will say that the one "grandmother" who is listed as Haudenausonee but was born in Hawaii and never actually lived wuth her people. That raises some questions. The other one I have questions about is the "grandfather" who is "Cherokee" but has a Lakota name? They may all be good people, but I see some red flags here.

Thanks, Debbie. Yes, there are a few question marks. And  I just found this about the Cherokee grandfather:

"Grandfather Keya has been working with women in circles since more than 10 years. He was given a blessing by Female Nations of Turtle Island (?) for his work. He is a traditional Pow Wow (medicine man)  helping  women from of all backgrounds with personal, family and spiritual issues"

"He is a traditional pow wow" - huh? You can be a pow wow?  :)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 04:16:00 pm »
Looks like newage pay to pray.

Heh, Freija, we were typing this at the same time:

http://indigenouselders.blogspot.co.uk/p/schedule.html

"Women circle with Mani Wakan Wicasa Keya (Walks Holy Turtle Man)

"At: Theosophical Society
Address:
17 Queens Crescent (off West Princes St)
Behind St Georges X underground
Glasgow
G4 9BL

"Time:  from 5pm - 10 pm

"Contribution : 10 pounds

"Grandfather Keya has been working with women in circles since more than 10 years. He was given a blessing by Female Nations of Turtle Island for his work. He is a traditional Pow Wow (medicine man)  helping  women from of all backgrounds with personal, family and spiritual issues."

Maybe I'm just ignorant about these things, but why is a man leading women's circles?

In addition to calling himself Cherokee with a Lakota name who happens to be an entire Pow Wow (must be hard to fit anyone else in the room).

And even if he is Cherokee, or Lakota, or an entire pow wow, why is he in Scotland selling newage talking circles (or whatever it is he's doing with all those non-Native women)?

ETA: Found his bio. He has even more tribes in his pow wow. Intertribal!

http://indigenouselders.blogspot.co.uk/p/28-grandfathers-council.html

"More on 28 Grandfathers' website (click)

"Grandfather that will visit UK this Summer:

"Grandfather Keya Wright (Cherokee) Keya Wright, Mani Wakan Wicasa Keya (Walks Holy Turtle Man) is Cherokee and Portuguese, raised with the Narragansett tribe in Rhode Island. His father (Cherokee) was "the last free man" as Keya says. When Keya was a child the Elders chose him as a vessel in which they could pour their knowledge and wisdom. Thanks to his blue eyes and fair complexion, Keya walked in two worlds; the world of the white man and the world of Native Americans, which greatly enhanced his understanding of the reality. Keya worked in many areas. For thirty years he was a navigator and a fisherman on Atlantic Ocean, working from a small boat that he and his friends built in the backyard. For twenty years he was a union representative for AFSCME in Rhode Island as well justice of the peace for five years before he retired in 1999. He is a veteran of war, having served four years in the US Navy (1963-1967). He also marched with Martin Luther King in the civil rights movement. Keya is a healer of broken hearts and souls; his present life is devoted to ceremony; he has facilitated many women and men circles in the United States and Europe. He travels the world, sharing the wisdom of his ancestors."

ETAA: OK, this "28 Grandfathers" group....

Their website: http://www.findnewhope.com/28grandfathers/

We have a thread on the group and mentions in other threads. There's all kinds of frauds and questionable people in the group, including known ceremony-sellers who are actively protested by traditional L/D/N communities and spiritual leaders:

FindNewHope.com and 28 Grandfathers: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=3463.0

Brian Wilkes-Anyone know anything about him?: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2266

Re: "Goddess" temples busted in prostitution sting - many arrests & charges: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=3435.msg30782#msg30782
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 05:26:03 pm by Kathryn »

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 05:30:01 pm »
"He is a traditional pow wow" - huh? You can be a pow wow? 

Ok, this I can explain, sort of. A "pow wow" is a Pennsylvania Dutch "healer" from what a friend told me. Different than a pow wow that is a dance. So why would a "Cherokee" be a Pennsylvania Dutch healer?

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 05:34:01 pm »
I found a site of this council of 28 grandfathers, and some of the names appearing sound quite familiar. I also added emphasis to a few claims given in the CVs.

http://www.findnewhope.com/28grandfathers/meet.htm

Grandfather Ruben Aguirre
(Gabrielino/Tongva Tribe of San Gabriel)

no CV supplied

Grandfather Angaangaq Angakkorsuaq
(Greenlandic Inuit)

We already got a thread on Angaangaq aka Jens Lyberth.

Grandfather Joe Beltran
(San Carlos Apache)
Joe (Ojo) Beltran, San Carlos Apache, served in the US Army during the Cold War. He was a truck driver and a member of the Teamsters for 30 years.
     While in Southern California, he and his wife Gloria along with fellow Apaches formed a West Coast Apacheria, with the goal to keep Apache traditions and culture alive. They met on a regular basis and shared what information they had of family histories and stories handed down by their Elders.
     In 2004, Gloria and Joe returned to her ancestral Warm Spring Apache roots in Pinos Altos, NM. They have been here since 2004 and have been actively involved with the Silver City Red Paint Powwow as Board Members of the Powwow Committee and members of the Red Paint Tribal Council.

Grandfather Adam Yellowbird De Armon

We already got a thread on De Armon.

Grandfather Hemi Fox
(Maori)
Hemi Fox is Maori from Aotearoa-New Zealand. At the age of 7 his great-grandmother Hira Moewaka Kemp-Johnstone, chieftainness of the Kapotai tribe, initiated his passage into the realm of spirit and healing. She opened the appropriate channels and then left him with the challenge of finding out how to access and remember the ancient knowledge. In 1987 the Hawaiian Kahuna Abraham Kawai'i gave him a brief glimpse into the ancient Hawaiian bodywork traditions. The aboriginal elder, Gaboo Ted Thomas from Australia and the Hawaiian entrepreneur George Kanehale both played their significant roles in this process. After more than 30 years of school teaching, occasional healing work and ‘ghost busting’ jobs amongst the people of his tribe, it seemed time now to answer the call of Destiny. So he left the shores of his beloved homeland Aotearoa, left his family, his tribe and traveled to Denmark on a one-way ticket! From then on everything just started to happen in a way only the Spirit understands.

GrandfatherMark Anthony Gardiner
(Maori)
with Grandmother Roanna (Hopi)

Mark Anthony Gardiner, of half Maori, half Pakeha descent, was born in Gisborne, New Zealand. A clairvoyant healer, he uses many alternative healing modalities in his practice including Reiki, Zenna, Wairua and Elohim healing. As a world traveler, Mark has had many life experiences that assists his work with people of all backgrounds.
     His life path has been one of difficulty and challenge, but Mark pays tribute to his Spiritual Journey with the meaningful tattoo on his back. “I feel when people look at my back, it’s not just a tattoo, but they feel the vibration and energy of these warriors and guides who have helped carry me through my life.” Mark makes offerings of pounamu (greenstone) wherever he goes, saying it’s his way of showing respect to the land, and to those who have stood before, as well as for those still standing.

Grandfather Forrest Liggett

no CV given

Grandfather Wayne May
(Cherokee)
Wayne May, A Quah He Mi Agua, is Cherokee by birth and the historian of the Central Band of Cherokee, Lawrenceburg Tenn, serving under Chief Joe White. He is also publisher and owner of Ancient American Magazine, in print since 1993, and does much to dispel the myth of Manifest Destiny by bringing to light the truth of the many-layered cultural and archeological history of the original inhabitants of North America. He has a natural gift for discovering lost sacred sites, and has worked with Tribal leaders across Turtle Island helping to identify and protect Ancestral burial mounds.
      Wayne and his wife Kris have seventeen grandchildren, and live in Dunn County, Wisconsin.

Grandfather James Warren "Flaming Eagle" Mooney
(Seminole)
James WFE Mooney, a Seminole healer, descendant of both the famed Osceola and of Smithsonian anthropologist James Mooney, who was instrumental in establishing the legal status of the Native American Church.
      A member of the Oklevueha or Oklawaha Seminole community of Harjo Town, Florida, he now lives in Utah. He is a prominent roadman and teacher in the Native American Church, and has made many sacrifices to fight to uphold our rights to our traditional practices. He and his wife risked everything in a 9-year legal battle with Utah over the right to conduct NAC ceremonies, and to open the door to non-Indians in accordance with NAC tradition and federal law. Their victory in the Utah Supreme Court and a subsequent ruling by the US Supreme Court in a similar case set important legal precedents.

Grandfather Carlos Provencio
(Chiricahua Apache)
Carlos Provencio is a descendant of the Chihene Nde Warm Spring Band of the Chiricahua Apache . He has done grant making for the Campaign of Human Development, in Washington DC. Through the Industrial Areas Foundation he has created public policy and legislation that supported children, youth and families. In the city of Tucson, Arizona he has mobilized the development of youth recreation in the south side and has assisted with the process of targeting high drop-out rates and absenteeism of Native American children. In Silver City, NM, he has been the program coordinator for a Ford Foundation Grant that funded the development and support of community based forestry that created resources for small business development.

Grandfather James "Two Crow" Schumacher
Two Crow AKA (especially to the IRS and other government agencies), James D. Schumacher is a child of Great Mystery, a recovering alcoholic/addict with more than 26 yeas of sobriety, a grandfather of three, a loving husband (married for more than 10 years to Athene), and a grateful walker on the Red Road.
      On this road he has led many purification lodge ceremonies and has participated in 29 Sun Dance ceremonies on the Blood Reserve in Alberta Canada and in the northwestern US. He is a retired oceanographer and environmental scientist with a doctorate in marine science, and has conducted extensive research on changes in the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska with focus on sustainability of Mother Earth's gifts…which might explain why he lives in the arid region of Gila, New Mexico.
      He has acted as a guide and translator from scientific jargon to plain English for numerous Alaskan Native groups. Given his ability to integrate western science and earth based spiritualities, he also has consulted for Maori relatives on concerns and issues regarding biopharming.

Grandfather Shawn Secataro
(Cañoncito Navajo)

Shawn L. Secatero, Ph.D. is a member of the Water's Edge people and born for the Latino clan. Shawn received his Ph.D. in 2009 from the University of New Mexico and graduated with distinction after completing his dissertation study Beneath Our Sacred Minds, Hands, and Hearts: Stories of Persistence and Success Among American Indian Graduate and Professional Students. He has worked as a secondary language arts teacher, bilingual program coordinator, youth opportunity program director, and coordinator of student services at the American Indian Graduate Center Gates Millennium Scholars. Dr. Secatero continues his service as a researcher and has established the Striking Eagle Well Being Project to address higher education retention efforts.He serves as an adjunct professor at the University of New Mexico. He conducts workshops and seminars using his well-being model designed to empower individuals and assist educational programs with life-long learning endeavors at local, state, and international levels. He continues to work as an American Indian cultural consultant for various programs and institutions. Dr. Secatero serves as a board member for the Indigenous Elders of America, Canoncito Band of Navajos 12-member traditional council, and is currently president and CEO of Source for Educational Empowerment and Development (SEED) Institute which is a non-profit organization seeking to bridge Indigenous knowledge with Western ways of knowing.

Grandfather Brad Stanton
(Narragansett)
Brad Stanton is Narragansett from Rhode Island. He was given the name "Walking Bear" at the age of 4 by the Medicine Man in an annual Naming Ceremony on their beautiful and pristine reservation lands along the ocean. Brad is a Warrior in his Tribe and a veteran of the US Marine Corps serving during the Vietnam era. He is a Silver Cloud Elder, and a retired (28 years) offshore North Atlantic lobster fisherman.
     Brad is the owner and CEO of Chiefmoon Consulting, where he works with tribes in the United Southern and Eastern Conference assisting them with affordable housing and economic development. He is currently working with Mana Services in Boise, Idaho, where he is helping to provide rehabilitation services for homeless youth, and boys in the correctional system. He and his wife Susan, a Grandmother on the Turtle Island Council, live in Illinois on the Mississippi River, where they are re-building an 1800's pioneer log cabin and preparing for an "off the grid" lifestyle. Brad is a kind man with no enemies. He is a peacemaker.

Grandfather James Uqualla
(Havasupai)

no CV supplied

Grandfather Woody Vaspra
(Hawaiian)

There is a thread on Woody Vaspra.

In his capacity as Co-founder, President and Elder Liaison for the World Council of Elders, Woody has traveled extensively throughout the United States, Canada, Central and South America and Australia meeting with traditional indigenous wisdom-carriers of many, many native cultures.
     As a native Hawaiian, Woody is readily accepted by members of other indigenous communities, and is especially qualified and uniquely suited to work with them toward WCOE’s goal of creating a worldwide organization of traditional indigenous wisdom-keepers and spiritual leaders. The vision of the World Council of Elders is to restore a world in which all people cherish and care for the Earth, one another, and all life. Toward this vision, World Council of Elders is establishing a World Wisdom Council or a “spiritual U.N.” of indigenous wisdom-keepers from across the globe coming together to counsel, unite and educate humanity toward world peace. The members of this traditional council will contribute their wisdom to re-establish and co-create within each one of us an awareness where all peoples will live in peace, harmony and love through compassion, understanding, respect and community. Because of this vision, Woody was selected by Lakota Elders to be the Leader of the International Sundance that is being held around the world to bring the peoples of the four directions together.

Grandfather Brian Wilkes
(Cherokee-Creek descendant)

A noted Cherokee language instructor, Brian Wilkes created the online learning system.SpeakCherokee.com In 2006 he received Kentucky's highest honor, the rank of colonel in recognition of his efforts to preserve the Cherokee language. He is the author of The New Cherokee Hymnal, The New Cherokee Dictionary, Even Heaven Falls Apart, and an annual Cherokee Calendar.
     From 1998 - 2000, he organized the Red Nations Remebrance in Morristown, NJ, bringing together representatives of many Native nations to teach the public about both the impact of the Indian Removal Act and modern day issues affecting the communities.
     Wilkes lives in western Kentucky, where he serves as spiritual leader of a Native American Church chapter spanning portions of Kentucky, Illinois, and Tennessee.
      In addition, he has been honored for his international humanitarian work with five knighthoods and two titles of baron.

Grandfather Maka'ala Yates, D.C.
(Hawaiian)

Maka'ala is a Kanaka Maoli (descendant of the Original Polynesians) born and raised in Honaunau, Kona, Hawaii at "Pu'uhonua O Honaunau." His training in the healing arts started at the age of 6 and this year he is 63 years young and still learning. His Hawaiian lineage goes back to the Kekapahaukea and Kipapa line where traditional healing was an essential and successful part of life without modern healthcare systems. He is a Vietnam veteran, played professional tennis and brought back the traditional Hale Pulo'ulo'u (Hawaiian sweats or "House of Purification"). He presently travels around the world teaching his heritage of Hawaiian healing methods including Mana Lomi® (a specific form of lomilomi that focuses on problem solving physical maladies), fasting and ho'oponopono.
     In 1976 he was one of the original crew members of the historic double hull canoe voyage called"Hokule'a," which was the subject of National Geographic Society documentary film. In 2005 he received the "Kaonohi Award," the highest award for excellence in traditional healing practices and community support. He is the author of a nearly finished book called, "Ancient Hawaiian Principles of Being Well." Maka'ala is the Minister of Health for the Polynesian Kingdom of Atooi (PKOA) coming up with solutions to help people break the blueprint from diseases.

Grandfather Richard Dark Horse (Mescalero Apache)

Richard Darkhorse was born in California and raised by his grandparents, Felipe and Lucinda Soto
     "Grandpa made it his passion to teach me about the Apache ways of life. He taught me to honor my elders and honor the traditions. As a result, I am proud of my Native heritage and it gave me a direction and pride in which to live my life and share with others the teachings of my grandfather and other elders before me.
     For many years, I have been honored that people see me as someone who can aid them and guide them in their everyday struggles of living the Native life. I have been a Gourd Dancer for 6 years and find it one of the most rewarding parts of my life.
     I have been blessed with two sons and one daughter and four granddaughters. I continue to teach my children and grandchildren the traditions with the same pride and honor that I was taught.
     I pledge my heart, loyalty, and self to this honor of sitting on the council of "Grandfathers of North America". I also pledge to keep our traditions and teachings alive for the Apache nation. I am proud to be part of this council and I thank you for your confidence in me to guide our people to their rightful path."

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 05:37:13 pm by Ingeborg »

Epiphany

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 06:01:14 pm »

Ok, this I can explain, sort of. A "pow wow" is a Pennsylvania Dutch "healer" from what a friend told me. Different than a pow wow that is a dance. So why would a "Cherokee" be a Pennsylvania Dutch healer?

Here's an example of the Pennsylvania Dutch folk system, book from 1820 "Pow- Wows or Long Lost Friend" by John George Hoffman. According to the modern intro to this book on this web site - this is still practiced by some in rural Pennsylvania. http://www.sacred-texts.com/ame/pow/index.htm

More: Powwowing: A Persistent American Esoteric Tradition David W Kriebel, Ph.D. http://www.esoteric.msu.edu/VolumeIV/Powwow.htm

From what I've read "powwowers" in this system don't accept money and most of them use the bible quite a bit.

Don't know why he would claim to be both this and Cherokee. Other than to defraud people.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 07:11:46 pm »

Ok, this I can explain, sort of. A "pow wow" is a Pennsylvania Dutch "healer" from what a friend told me. Different than a pow wow that is a dance.

Yeah, there are some rather nuage neopagans who write occult books about their version of that. Hex signs and hoodoo stuff mixed with NeoWicca. Or something. I think it's pretty eclectic, and probably not all that much like any real traditions from that area. Some of those East Coast immigrant traditions claim to have NDN ways blended in (or appropriated), but I don't know if it's true, or if it's just misinformation to make it seem more exotic to the white people they sell their books to.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 07:13:25 pm by Kathryn »

Offline Pono Aloha

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 07:33:27 pm »
I know Maka'ala Yates. He is highly respected in the traditional Hawaiian community, and he is Native Hawaiian. Not sure what is going on here.

The other Hawaiian connection mentioned is the Maori Hema Fox. Abraham Kawaii specifically said what he taught was not traditional body work. I can't imagine why a businessman and scholar like George Kanahele would be relevant to whatever he is doing. And I question why he is citing to Hawaiian sources rather than to his own people.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:27:22 am by Pono Aloha »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 08:41:35 pm »
We also have a thread on the so called Central Cherokee, a bunch of @100 people who think Cherokees are Jews and vice versa.

Richard "Dark Horse" caught my attention right away. It's pretty unusual for Mescaleros to have names like that, translations of a traditional name as the legal last name. Much more common to see Hispanic or Anglo last names.

This seems to be him, legal name Richard Stevenette. Talk about an interesting past...

-------
http://www.myspace.com/483339410
I am called Richard Dark Horse Stevenette. I am of American Indian lineage,...I am returning to the real world in under 6 months after 12+ years of consequences for robbing banks and being a general pain. i have paid a heavy price for this behavior and look forward to atoning for this behavior by becoming a pro-social member of society and have a plan in place to realize this goal...

------

He then goes on to say he'd like to meet a woman, not necessarily a biker woman, but one whose forgiving...

I certainly don't hold a prison sentence against anyone whose done their time and turned their life around. I've had both friends and relatives make similar (though lesser) mistakes that they did time for, bar room fights that turned far more serious for example.

But I have a hard time believing any former serious career criminal should be held up as an elder or spiritual leader.

My Life lists him as 58 and living in Spokane.

Offline MsWilma

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:41:01 am »
Hi from Australia,
tricky!
One of these grandfathers cites teachings from Guboo Ted Thomas:

Grandfather Hemi Fox
(Maori)
Hemi Fox is Maori from Aotearoa-New Zealand. At the age of 7 his great-grandmother Hira Moewaka Kemp-Johnstone, chieftainness of the Kapotai tribe, initiated his passage into the realm of spirit and healing. She opened the appropriate channels and then left him with the challenge of finding out how to access and remember the ancient knowledge. In 1987 the Hawaiian Kahuna Abraham Kawai'i gave him a brief glimpse into the ancient Hawaiian bodywork traditions. The aboriginal elder, Gaboo Ted Thomas from Australia and the Hawaiian entrepreneur George Kanehale both played their significant roles in this process. After more than 30 years of school teaching, occasional healing work and ‘ghost busting’ jobs amongst the people of his tribe, it seemed time now to answer the call of Destiny. So he left the shores of his beloved homeland Aotearoa, left his family, his tribe and traveled to Denmark on a one-way ticket! From then on everything just started to happen in a way only the Spirit understands.

Guboo Ted Thomas was an initiated elder of the Yuin nation. He was an Aboriginal activist who won significant land rights gains in New South Wales around sacred sites. He was also controversial within indigenous circles. In his later years, he claimed that the Dreaming was spirituality for the world and ran Dreaming camps for non Aboriginals. I dont know if he charged money. I do know that not all Aboriginal Australians agreed with him, but that he genuinely held a role of spiritual authority and that he spoke from that role.
Theres info on Gaboo here:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/06/07/1022982767671.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guboo_Ted_Thomas
I apologise for not providing any indigenous perspectives on Guboos work- I couldnt find any via google, but the white perspectives Ive provided note that his actions were considered controversial by other Aboriginals.
He was no fraud. He made choices about sharing Aboriginal spirituality that not all Aboriginals agreed with. He may well have shared knowledge with other indigenous groups and elders.

Epiphany

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 04:18:06 am »
Video clip -  Interview with Mani Wakan Wicasa Keya (Walks Holy Turtle Man)
http://vimeo.com/43597276

Intro caption "Keya Wright Cherokee Tribe USA"

He says his older brother Two Crow, "adopted Lakota" gave him his name.

Says his group of peers and elders are from Apache nations - Chiricahua, and Lakota. Also that in the past he was named by "two Azteca brothers" who gave him a name "and they did it in Spanish".

Epiphany

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 05:22:57 am »
On Richard Darkhorse Stevenette - worth doing a name search through the public Washington state court records site http://dw.courts.wa.gov/ for a basic look-see. 12 cases there including a 1997 "order prohibiting contact" and May 2011  temporary restraining order during divorce proceedings in Spokane WA.

1997 court records also list several bank robberies.  Looks like he changed his name in 1988, records are also under Ricky Eugene Stevenette.  

A marriage record is available for him through Washington Digital Archives http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/ , he married  Nov 2010 in Spokane WA. Full name used of Richard Darkhorse Stevenette.

Oh and in his Indigenous Elders bio he says he was born in CA - but I see in records that his 2010 marriage application lists birthplace as Stayton OR.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:09:47 am by Epiphany »

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 07:44:52 am »
Thank you so much for all your help. Wow!
I put the question out before going to bed and here I am, with my morning coffee, and all the information is provided.  ;) ;D
Thanks again!!

This group of Elders is being promoted by people we are interacting and cooperating with in connection with our Native Filmfestival. That´s why it made me concerned. I don´t want anything to "rub off on us", if you know what I mean. Hrmmm....not good.  :-\

Offline Saskia

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:48:46 pm »
I've got to say that the cost of the weekend retreat is VERY reasonable and can only really cover the basic costs of this event.  I looked into it since the Scottish retreat is only 2hrs drive from me and it looked interesting.  The accommodation is so cheap and the fees can only cover the hire of the place, nothing more so whatever they are doing, it's not for profit (if it is for profit, they really haven't got the hang of making money!)

However, that said, some of the information above makes me think twice.  If you are born in Hawaii with mixed race heritage, does that make you 'indigenous'?  Surely indigenous means of that place so one cannot claim to be indigenous Mohawk (even with that ancestry) if born and brought up in an entirely different culture and belief system.  Why the need to be 'indigenous' or tribal at all?  Does it infer some kind of 'wisdom status'?