Author Topic: Cherokees would probably have executed frauds  (Read 12566 times)

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Cherokees would probably have executed frauds
« on: July 21, 2006, 01:47:34 pm »
I have finally found one of the sources I mentioned in the thread "What is New Age".

The website http://cherokeeeldersociety.com/ ? says that "Inevitably these frauds combine Mooney, new age and Plains Indian traditions to create their "Ancient Cherokee" traditions. ? In the old days, these people would likely have been executed." ? You can read the whole article here: http://cherokeeeldersociety.com/frauds.html

« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by AndreasWinsnes »

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Cherokees would probably have executed frauds
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 02:28:10 pm »
This group has been mentioned in other places. Like I have asked before, who are they, lets have some names.

I get really irrate, quite angry in fact with the following quote from thier site.

"Today the Traditional Cherokee religion is Christianity. This has been true for two hundred years, if someone claims to know someone over two hundred years old they should call the Enquirer Magazine, don't bother us because we do not believe in UFOs or religious hoaxes and frauds. There was a reason that the founders of the Keetowah Society - one of the most conservative of Cherokee societies - were all Presbyterian, Methodist, or Baptist Preachers."

Hmmm, they also say Cherokees can't be Jews. Why not? Can't a person convert? Who the hell made them the keepers of our traditions. I am NOT a christians, I am a traditional. I dfo not belive Jesus was born to save me. I follow my traditional ways. If christianity is thier traditional way well hey, ain't that open to the public. Don't christians let anyone walk in thier churchs.

In my opinion, we should stop using this site as some authority.

Joseph

Offline Scott Brainard

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 03:35:20 pm »
The cherokeeeldersociety.com domain is registered to an entity by the name of "Committee to Combat anti-Cherokee Frauds" (CCCF), Kituwah, NC.  The site appears to be hosted through a web services company by the name of "Cherokee Hosting & Internet Services" (www.cherokeehosting.com) which has an Oxford, MS address.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 05:34:47 pm »
That site seems to have just recently come back up, with no explanation of why it went down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only cases of Cherokees executing their own was the killing of the Treaty Party leaders, regarded as traitors for having signed away Cherokee homelands. So maybe what this site is trying to do is tell Cherokees (including PODIAs who might have read history books) just how much they are betraying their heritage.

I'm sure Weylin and others will read a lot into this, claiming I'm now calling for violence against him and other sellouts. But no, explaining is not endorsing.

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 06:34:25 pm »
I have no problem with the quote. It justs shows that if you messed with religions in the old days - be it Hinduism or Judaism - then you risked being killed. Religion was a serious matter in those days. This does not mean that the site endorses violence against frauds. It is probably just a way to point out that frauds are not welcome. The site uses harsh words, but it is better to be honest and express what you actually feel than to be politically correct just because it looks good on the net.

But should the site be considered authoritative? ?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by AndreasWinsnes »

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 06:35:45 pm »
If memory serves me, the Cherokee people killed all their priests, when the priests became corrupt.  But that is different them executing traitors.

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 07:39:04 pm »
Al,

You are correct about the Treaty party being executed. Sequoyah also had a death warrant on his head for signing the Ft. Gibson treaty in 1828 (I think that was the year). He and 3 others signed this treaty agreeing to remove the Cherokee from Arkansas to Oklahoma. Some how he avoided being killed, probably because of his status within the tribe.

Joseph

frederica

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 10:04:24 pm »
If I am not mistaken the CCCF group was also a Yahoo group. There were doing much the same as this group. The eldersociety page belong to them. I beleive it was part of the group by Charles Yow, who passed away yesterday I understand. They were Confederated Western Cherokee, and some Autoomous AIM. I do know he said they were only interested in people doing mischief with Cherokee traditiions. frederica

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 03:50:17 am »
I'm going to check with someone who knows who posted that site.  This site was mentioned in our group and the person who knows these people said it'a lawyer and his son who decided they were elders when the oldest was 42, started this site.  The lawyer had even been kicked out of the Western Cherokee Nation (located in Arkansas).  He is a self-appointed authority on everything Cherokee, all learned from books.  Today, he is probably around 48 or 49.  When he is on lists, he tries to control and belittle everyone. He has been reported to the CNO several times.  I was told he did get a letter about the Cherokee flag he did have hanging in his office.  The guy and his son are fakes.  
I'm sure my friend knows his name.  He's away this weekend at a powwow.  I'll ask Monday.
William
William Graywolf

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 02:18:32 pm »
William,

Thank you for that information. So much of the pro-christian stance, and in my opinion a bit on the anti-semtic stance, really bothered me.

Joseph

Also, I at least will question any site that the authors of whatever is written do not sign thier names.

frederica

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 02:43:49 pm »
Yes, then that is who is. Both Charles Yow and his son, Jr. are lawyers. Lived in Mississippi. What I was told by one of their members is that John "Red Hat" Duke was their elder. He was Keetowah. I think many people used him as an elder. Charles Sr. is the one that held the Tribal Court on the Western Cherokee of Arkansas and Missouri. But Lola "Smith" Schroll refused to attend, so she goes on. Said she only recognized the State of Arkansas. He was supposably enrolled with the CNO and at one time the CNO Linked to the "eldersociety" website. But that was several years ago.  Last I heard of Charles Sr., before he died, was he was at Pine Ridge with Russell Means.  And that has been a couple years ago. frederica