Author Topic: Selling dreamcatchers  (Read 12709 times)

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Selling dreamcatchers
« on: April 15, 2006, 07:51:04 pm »
Is it proper to sell dreamcatchers? In Norway we have a few people who sell them, so I wondered what the traditional pracitice is when it comes to giving a person a dreamcatcher.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by AndreasWinsnes »

Offline piya

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: Selling dreamcatchers
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 08:26:52 am »
Andreas,

It is best first to understand about the origin of the dreamcatcher.

Dreamcatchers are a tradition from the Ojibway, usually small and measuring only a few inches. Made from forming a small tree branch / willow into a circle, and using sinew to form the web. A feather would be attached to the web. This would be hung near to where a child slept to help prevent nightmares.

Today, you will find them made of much sturdier things, to last longer.

In the 60's / 70's, during the pan indian movement, they started getting popular among other tribes, although not traditional to these tribes.

Is it proper to sell dreamcatchers, yes why not, they are a craft, not a scared item.

However, you can walk down any high street, and see dreamcatchers for sale. 99.9% of these will be mass produced in Asia. This is another theft of our culture, so do not buy them. Buy genuine native crafts, then at least you know you are supporting the people they represent.

As for a practice of giving a dreamcatcher, I don't know of any. I would give one as a gift, normally to a new born or child. But now you see them hanging in cars. So a gift is a gift, and nothing else.

I hope this helps you a little

To Old To Die Young

Offline piya

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 09:06:19 am »
You see fraudulant Native Crafts everywhere, take a look at this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/native-american-indian-2-row-fetish-necklace_W0QQitemZ7759593373QQcategoryZ60603QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I contacted this guy yesterday, and asked him if he was native. (I knew he wasn't because I used to live only a couple of miles away, and knew I was the only native around there)

He admitted he wasn't, so I have now questioned him, as to how his things are native, if he isn't. Lets see what happens.

It would be helpful if members would just spend a minute sending a message to this guy and others, disagreeing with their use of the term Native.
To Old To Die Young

Offline piya

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:50:31 am »
Action does work, the guy on e bay, has now altered the descriptions of his items.

There is still plenty more out there though
To Old To Die Young