Author Topic: "Indian" or "Native American"?  (Read 15979 times)

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
"Indian" or "Native American"?
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:45:21 pm »
Is it proper to use the word "Indian"? If not, why do you call it the American Indian Movement?

Offline piya

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: "Indian" or "Native American"?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 06:24:22 am »
The word Indian has been around for hundreds of years, and is one of the words, used and accepted, ( rightly or wrongly ) to collectively refer to the first people of Turtle Island. Native American is also used in the same way, but could equally refer to someone born in America.

You will find that many "ndn", people refer to themselves, by their original tribal / band name

To Old To Die Young

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 10:45:54 am »
Well, its seems to be a generational thing. I grew up with the terms Indian and Black and Chicano. Now its has been Native American and African American and Mexican American.

I did notice that Native American Heritage month had a name change a few years back to American Indian Heritage month.

Joseph
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by JosephSWM »

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 11:17:48 am »
Okay, so I will not offend anyone if I use the word "Indian" in a book I am writing?

Offline piya

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 07:18:38 pm »
Andreas

No you wont affend anyone, by using Indian.

Do not use the words red, or the "S" word, that will be wrong, if you need more info pm me
To Old To Die Young

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 07:54:23 pm »
Thanks. I have noe even heard the "S" word I think.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 07:59:46 pm »
Not sure, but I think by "S word" piya means "squaw". That is not a nice thing to call an Indian woman. In fact, around here, it could earn you a slap.

Offline piya

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 08:05:02 pm »
Debbie

Thats the word
To Old To Die Young

weheli

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 08:24:03 pm »
 There have been many controvercial issues as to what to call"Indians", Native American, many First Peoples was not pleased with that as was stated anyone born in America is Native to America, American Indians has been more accepted. What Joesph stated is most accurate but one sometimes do not know the tribal affiliation. Squaw is never used as said, niether is calling every darker skinned American Indian man " hey chief".

I personaly like the term First Peoples, American Indians even though my people and others called it Turtle Island. However saying all of that many people say are you Indian and I am not offened. Hope this helps.

Wado Weheli :)

Offline Kantuta

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 03:51:42 pm »
I think it should be said that there are people who feel offended by the term Indian. I have a Salteaux-friend who absolutely hates the word and always tell people she's not an indian.

I personally don't like the word, but I'm from South America. In South America the word "indio" has very negative connotations, most people call themselves indigenous or simply by the name of the people you belong to.

Another thing - about the word "eskimo". I met a man from Barrow once, and he told me he was "Inupiat eskimo". I said: "Oh, I thought you prefered using the word inuit", and he replied: "No, we're eskimos." So I'm a bit confused now :)

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 05:49:35 pm »
In Alaska, there are Inupiats and Yupiks. Inupiats speak an Inuit language, Yupiks do not. So in Alaska, it is proper tp say Eskimo.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »
What a question? Why do we have to be out into a group?

As far as Indian goes most of our elders still call themselves
Indian and many have went to American Indian.
Some call themselves Native
Some call themsleves Native American
Most just want to be called by their nation
Mine is both Lakota and Dakota

The American Indian Movement was named this back in the 60's when that what we were called.
In Spirit

Offline Skully

• 81 Forever
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 09:55:16 am »
The sign at the boundary of my Rez in MN says "Gawababiganiikkaag Ishkonigan White Earth Indian Community."

The sign at the boundary of my wife's Rez in AZ says: "Gila River Indian Community"

Here in the Phoenix area, we have (officially named):

Ak Chin Indian Community (South of Maricopa)

San Lucy Indian Community (in Gila Bend)

Fort McDowell Yavapai-Apache Indian Community (Northeast of Fountain Hills)

Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community (North of Mesa, East of Scottsdale)

Pascua Yaqui Tribe of Arizona (in and near Tucson, New Pascua, Barrio Libre, Eloy), then outposts in metro Phoenix: Guadalupe, Hightown (Chandler), and Penjamo (Scottsdale).

BTW: I have "relatives" who are Apache from White River, Saint (San) Carlos, Dulce, NM, and Oklahoma. I should direct them this way to check out the "Apache Doctor's" site.  Let's see what they think.
"Snitches are a dying breed." KK81, 2008

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 02:32:59 pm »
Anyone and everyone with an interest in the issue is welcome. We've already have OK and AZ members before. One of the things I liked about living in Arizona was the shortage of exploiters, with a couple big exceptions, Harley Reagan's people and the Sedona crowd.

But it's not "my" site by a long shot. There's hundreds of members from dozens of tribes, and half a dozen mods. You've been hanging around Badeagle too long, imitating them without thinking. When you start taking the word of white supremacists and apples...

Offline Skully

• 81 Forever
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 05:29:35 pm »
Anyone and everyone with an interest in the issue is welcome. We've already have OK and AZ members before. One of the things I liked about living in Arizona was the shortage of exploiters, with a couple big exceptions, Harley Reagan's people and the Sedona crowd.

But it's not "my" site by a long shot. There's hundreds of members from dozens of tribes, and half a dozen mods. You've been hanging around Badeagle too long, imitating them without thinking. When you start taking the word of white supremacists and apples...
You probably saw me at the Harley Reagan protest in Scottsdale then. I was singing using Vernon Foster's big octagon drum...sometimes with others, but mostly by myself.  Some weekends it would sing all by myself the whole time.  It helped me build endurance for singing a long time.

Everyting went fine until that crazy Tree Cody dude blew out the PA syatem.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:32:15 pm by Big Paulie »
"Snitches are a dying breed." KK81, 2008